3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
chaos33
May 3, 2019, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Extending Cardwell's contract was a mistake that I think we can all see. I wonder if the management are wishing they hadn't done it?

Truth is, we need much better quality than all of the strikers we've got.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 3, 2019, 11:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
The one thing I hate, and I use that term exceedingly loosely, is when you get linked with every player that's got a dog named grim or because a player has links.

We all know that there's players that will or won't come. So before we get linked with every player that's ever shopped at ikea, can we just enjoy a few weeks off!

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
The Boys Paddock
May 4, 2019, 2:47am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
Dont know who is out of contract,

Keep Davis, and Hall Johnson, if they are ooc....

rest can urine off.....

Ring was a terrible buy, as was Cook,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Stew0_0
May 4, 2019, 7:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Lose Collins, Woolford, Hooper, Whitmore, Thomas.
Loans ending and go back: Dennis, Embleton, Grayson.
Loan out next season. Cardwell and Rose
Keep: Davis, RH Johnson.

The rest are contracted anyways so will go nowhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Malta_Mariner_90
May 4, 2019, 9:01am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from chaos33
Extending Cardwell's contract was a mistake that I think we can all see. I wonder if the management are wishing they hadn't done it?

This is what worries me most about the coming summer. I want nothing more than Jolley to prove me wrong on this but I think his judgement so far on forwards has been patchy to be kind. Yes Thomas was a decent signing and had contributed reasonably well considering how we starved him of service, but even this signing had the feeling of an agent desperate to get their client a club and the best available option was Town, as opposed to Thomas being well scouted/known previously.

Of course there was the failed attempt to bring in Angol before the season started, but he has had more clubs that Tiger Woods and his only 24, which begs the question why, and in truth his goal scoring record is average at best bar one season in the Conference South. But who knows on this one, maybe it was the difference to being successful or having the season we have had.

But Cardwell (contract extension) and Robles have shown that Jolley is perhaps wanting in this area more than we think.

Also in January he wanted to bring in his Swedes (Ohman will hopefully prove worth it) in preference to strengthening the real weakness in the side, the forwards.

Its not like we had been banging in the goals up until then. And then the waste of money that was Grayson on loan.

He also brings in a known goalscorer in Dennis who, it turns out, is a striker who is a waste of space without service. Makes me wonder if Jolley did his homework on Dennis or is just in denial about the number of chances our strikers actually get in a game.

Either way for me the jury is still well out on Jolley in regards strikers, you could argue budget constraints, but I would say how come we could afford to give Woolford/Collins extra deals last summer and not instead use that money on offering a decent striker a decent wage, maybe Angol would have joined if the money spent on Collins contract was also offered to him?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
devs
May 4, 2019, 12:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
Thomas Woolford Collins Hooper - let them go
Whitmore and Cook - not fussed

I think he will keep everyone else - and why give Cardwell contract extension and then get shut?

No major overhaul - just far better quality needed in the vital areas: creativity and scoring
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
May 4, 2019, 12:39pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33

Sorry I don't agree. Give him until Christmas, if he doesn't show then I'll agree.
Reply: 26 - 29
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
May 4, 2019, 12:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
The positive outlook I beleive, is that we have a clear area to focus on with our transfers. If we had to retain this entire squad, we would have a top goalkeeper, a decent defence (we've conceded the second least goals in the bottom half) and a Really good midfield engine, those are good building blocks to have and jolley now has that known quantity and foundation to build on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Northbank Mariner
May 5, 2019, 7:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Just watched Maccas interview after the poty awards, think he may might be gone this summer or next and accepts the battersby is a better overall keeper than himself and will emerge as the season goes as the new number 1..probably off the mark with my assumptions but wouldn't be surprised to see macca move on and battersby become our new stopper
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
lowerfindus
May 5, 2019, 10:00pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
It's easy isn't it. Get rid of him , that ones a cart horse, etc etc.

Collins and woolfords wages will pay for striker from Man U.

Get a grip.

Jolley is getting stick for taking a risk on a couple of players ie Robles- if that works he get called a genius.

Cardwell, a young striker that he clearly sees worth giving a little time to develop. Haven't we not learnt recently that giving young players time is beneficial (Clifton, Wright, Rose). As a target man type him to take time to learn that trade. Clearly next season he will be the boo boys favourite with Wooly gone.

If we had the budget we would sign ready made good quality league 2 players all summer long. Chances are we are going to have to take what we can, maybe get a couple of decent players and top up with a supporting cast of young , unproven or questionable signings.

THATS OUR LEVEL PEOPLE.

Let's be glad we dont need 10 or more players like recent seasons.

Hope JSF let's a few more pounds out the piggy bank (Fenty Out).

Give the manager some time. Christ last season we didn't know which league we where going to play in until the penultimate game so I predict we are further on and better off in terms of recruitment this year!

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next Season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.