Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley must stay NOW.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 270 Guests

Jolley must stay NOW.

This thread currently has 7,244 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
May 1, 2019, 12:45pm
Guest User
Just to balance things.
Don't agree with some of his tactics, everyone back for a corner, allowing someone to have the ball because they allegedly can't pass, not sure about the Welsh situation but signing a player who has a court case coming up eh? Mmmm plenty of other things but it's his first year. I'll be disappointed if we are not in the top 7 next December and above Scunthorpe!
Patience!!

SomeSanity
May 1, 2019, 12:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Scunthrope will have the best budget in the league next season. They have a majority shareholder willing to invest, a commercial dept that is effective.. so more money, better run club, although it does pain me to say that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
barralad
May 1, 2019, 1:38pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from SomeSanity
Scunthrope will have the best budget in the league next season. They have a majority shareholder willing to invest, a commercial dept that is effective.. so more money, better run club, although it does pain me to say that.

I suspect Scunny's decline might have a fair bit to do with the fact that their benefactor has decided that enough is enough

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
Son of Cod
May 1, 2019, 1:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Yeah, I thought I'd heard they were cutting the cloth a bit from now. Could be wrong though. Still, they brought in a fair few back in January. Can't imagine they'll have a bigger budget than Bradford or MK Dons regardless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
1mickylyons
May 1, 2019, 1:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from barralad

I suspect Scunny's decline might have a fair bit to do with the fact that their benefactor has decided that enough is enough

Are they modelling themselves on GTFC now?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
marinerdazza
May 1, 2019, 2:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from barralad

Yep. That and a pointless managerial sacking, followed by a number of unsuitable replacements...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
FishOutOfWater
May 1, 2019, 2:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from marinerdazza

Yep. That and a pointless managerial sacking, followed by a number of unsuitable replacements...

I think maybe Swann thought that after sacking Brian Laws and then having success under Russ Wilcox, that was going to be the blueprint for their return to the "big time"

Six managers he's sacked now in the six years he's been chairman.... makes us look like novices when it comes to getting rid of them
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 40
Stew0_0
May 1, 2019, 2:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
I like Jolley, I like the fact he sees us as a project, willing to blood our youth, cares about our community and is a bright guy with hopefully a bright future ahead.

I think his hands are massively tied when it comes to budget, in fact our budget size is probably abouts where we are in the league right now.
We're not a 5,000 a game crowd anymore and I think the wage budget has had to be cut to suit. There's no hiding that we tried to sign X amount of strikers last year and missed out on them all only picking up Thomas as we were 2/3 weeks into the season and he wasnt fixed up with a club. We were always going to be a stepping stone for him. So this pre season he is going to have to stretch every penny to the max to improve us significantly for a push.

What Jolley has this season though is the opportunity to offload some of the highest earners like Collins, use the money also from Welsh and try and get 2 goalscoring strikers and with the rest of the budget can make the midfield more creative.

I think we have a core of players that are decent in this league but need to sign about 5 strong enough to step straight into the 11 to strengthen us further. I am confident we can improve.

Be careful what you wish for....

If we look at the poor response in application forms previously then we can do far worse than Jolley. Maybe Russ Wilcox could apply again and do a job for us

We had to get creative just to get Jolley to apply last time and changing managers all the time doesnt solve anything.
Am sure if Scunthorpe had the opportunity to go back and not sack Alexander when in the play offs then they may not now be staring relegation in the face this term.

In conclusion. Give Jolley more time, more support and if we can more financial support and we can start to look up....
Starting next season.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
diehardmariner
May 1, 2019, 3:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Why are we even talking about if we keep him or get rid of him?

Almost unanimously this season was to be written off as one of transition.  It was accepted that this season would be one where building blocks are put in place and it would take a minimum of 3 transfer windows before we saw any fruits.

Whilst I'm disappointed at how this season has gone, despite glimpses of promise at times, what's the point of saying we're going to give time to get it right and then hang him out to dry when we're firing on all cylinders all the time?  He's either got the long-term rebuild job or he hasn't.  If he has and fails, then at least we know we gave him the time to do so.  If he hasn't then we have to accept that we'll forever be in this cycle of appointing managers on the merry-go-round and we'll never get anywhere.

There's no two ways about it, we need to make improvements over the summer.  Quite significant improvements.  But we knew that was going to be the case anyway.  

The last time we were in a position where we were faced with a total rebuild and actually gave a manager real time to build something was 2004 under Russell Slade.  Let's forget the absolute shower that he produced in his second spell here and focus just on his first spell. In that first spell Slade built a bang average side in his first season that showed glimpses of promise.  I think we finished about 18th despite flirting briefly with a play-off place in the late winter/early months of spring.   Very few people were excited for his second season.  In his second summer he made some key signings (Paul Bolland, Gary Jones, Steve Mildenhall) and gelled them with the core he had brought in the previous summer (Michael Reddy, Rob Jones, Justin Whittle).  Ultimately it didn't work out quite as hoped but the improvement from one season to another was incredible.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
Yoda
May 1, 2019, 3:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,121
Gold Stars: 71
We have to give MJ the start of next season say 15 games.

But if this bad run continues into next season he will be gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley must stay NOW.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.