5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
May 2, 2019, 9:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,588
Gold Stars: 538
I'll be disappointed if he does get a game to be honest.

He's had his chance here and whilst I don't wish any ill on the lad but it's now time for someone else to get their opportunity.  According to Google, Hooper has played 46 games for us which is more than enough time to make a lasting impression.  He's had countless opportunities with us and other than a few stand-out performances has generally produced nothing.

Good luck to the lad, I'm sure he'll have plenty of suitors on the back of his goals with Bromley.  But it's time for someone like Max Wright to get a chance.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
Northbank Mariner
May 2, 2019, 10:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'll be disappointed if he does get a game to be honest.

He's had his chance here and whilst I don't wish any ill on the lad but it's now time for someone else to get their opportunity.  According to Google, Hooper has played 46 games for us which is more than enough time to make a lasting impression.  He's had countless opportunities with us and other than a few stand-out performances has generally produced nothing.

Good luck to the lad, I'm sure he'll have plenty of suitors on the back of his goals with Bromley.  But it's time for someone like Max Wright to get a chance.

Nail hit firmly on the head..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
RichMariner
May 2, 2019, 2:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Devil's advocate time...

Hooper has scored 9 goals in 32 starts during his time at Town. If he's a central striker then we haven't played him there, so you could argue that goal return is ok.

By comparison, Wes Thomas scored 12 in 37 starts, and he was the out-and-out central striker who was one of the first names on the team sheet each week.

Goalscorers are hard to find, and if we already have one on the books who's banging them in regularly in the league below (which really isn't far behind the standard of League 2 - just look at what Tranmere and Lincoln have done since coming up) then it seems a bit odd not to reconsider Hooper's contract.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 48
May 2, 2019, 3:59pm
Guest User
Think with Ohman and Cook still out, and Rose just added to the injury list we may very well see him get a game.
Reply: 23 - 48
golfer
May 2, 2019, 5:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
He is the best striker on the books
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 48
Maringer
May 2, 2019, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from RichMariner
Devil's advocate time...

Hooper has scored 9 goals in 32 starts during his time at Town. If he's a central striker then we haven't played him there, so you could argue that goal return is ok.

Problem with your Devil's Advocacy is that Hooper looked utterly clueless when played through the middle. He did better out on the left but still not brilliantly and that hat-trick in a dead rubber of a game rather skews the figures.

I had hopes for him this year after he finished last season so well but, for whatever reason, he just never performed this time around and looked less of a player. Probably not helped with the abortive and often hopeless attempts by the manager to play 3-5-2 early in the season, but even so you would want to have seen more from him this season.

I'd imagine he'll get himself a job at a club in the Conference down south somewhere where he'll probably score a good few goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
Northbank Mariner
May 2, 2019, 5:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Maringer

Problem with your Devil's Advocacy is that Hooper looked utterly clueless when played through the middle. He did better out on the left but still not brilliantly and that hat-trick in a dead rubber of a game rather skews the figures.

I had hopes for him this year after he finished last season so well but, for whatever reason, he just never performed this time around and looked less of a player. Probably not helped with the abortive and often hopeless attempts by the manager to play 3-5-2 early in the season, but even so you would want to have seen more from him this season.

I'd imagine he'll get himself a job at a club in the Conference down south somewhere where he'll probably score a good few goals.

Try being in my size 8s...I had a bet with Forza Ivano at the beginning of the season that Cardwell and hooper would both do double figures this year...talk about being so far off the mark my dart stuck in the barmaids head!!..
We have to be honest, I think with hooper he suffers with "rabbit in the headlight" syndrome...at Bromley he's playing in front of hundreds whereas in league football it's in front of thousands and just can't handle that added pressure...I also think that's why at FGR he bagged the hat trick, pure and simple he had no pressure at all on him that day....convinced if had the bottle he'd score goals in the league but alas, the poor lad just cannot cut the mustard
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
moosey_club
May 2, 2019, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Good for a hat trick in the final game isnt he ? Chuck him in  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 48
oochiad
May 2, 2019, 6:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 27
I’d have him play instead of Cardwell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 48
golfer
May 2, 2019, 8:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Do you think Bromley would like to have Cardwell on loan until next May
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hooper

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.