1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
VinnyGTFC
April 28, 2019, 9:36am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
There is a lot of doom mongering at the moment and rightly so to some extent at times this season we have been poor and toward the end totally appeared to give up however ..
We now have a breed of young players who really need our support if nothing else . If any of them are capable of pushing on a real feel good factor among fans will be a massive help.
Jolley has done ok at times. Next season is big for him. He needs to learn quickly but he now has the chance to dabble with the squad a bit.
I know things aren't perfect. They very rarely are but not too sure the bi annual Fenty Out. The Jolley out  cries, and let's all abandon the club to force it is very helpful. That way you might find York City games will come along  more quickly than expected. No one capable of running the club wants to. Fenty is correct to run it within a reasonably tight budget. There is no money in football at this level. In fact no level up to premiership and those running on money they haven't got will pass us going the other way. So don't hurry for quick promotion. Let's really see if something can be built, slowly but with good foundations
Private Message
RonMariner
April 28, 2019, 9:43am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,660
Gold Stars: 226
I am always very optimistic, right up until kick off then reality kicks in.

We need four quality signings in my opinion. And it won't matter who we have up front unless we have creative midfield players that can provide good service to them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
VinnyGTFC
April 28, 2019, 9:48am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
I think your right. I do think we need some decent width and a midfield general hopefully we can either find the budget or use the loan system to get what we need. It's a difficult league as we know and you either get success by ****housing your way through or by playing good expansive football. I'd like to do it the latter way.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
oochiad
April 28, 2019, 9:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 27
I’m optimistic, I just we start off the season at a pace........UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
rancido
April 28, 2019, 10:44am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from RonMariner
I am always very optimistic, right up until kick off then reality kicks in.

We need four quality signings in my opinion. And it won't matter who we have up front unless we have creative midfield players that can provide good service to them.

With the players that have gone ( Pringle, Embleton , Walsh and Mitch Rose ) plus contracts that are not renewed then that target is easily achievable with the money available. If the playing budget is increased then even more so.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
ROKERITE
April 28, 2019, 11:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
I thought Grimsby had an outside chance of making the play-offs this season and at the end of February that didn't seem so ridiculous. I continue to believe MJ will prove to be a good manager provided he's given time and a decent budget. I think there's more to be optimistic about with Jolley than if one of the old been-around-the block usual suspects was in charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
1mickylyons
April 28, 2019, 11:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
The problem is for a lot of us fans who have seen the better days of the early 80s and then the Buckley years 15 years of abject misery in League 2 or below has taken a great toll. Where and how will it end ? We have propped up the Club the best we can by buying ST in record numbers and travelling in huge numbers we have funded OP and had that sneered at by a member of the board . Nothing has changed we are still a struggling League 2 Club and when you see what Lincoln have done off the field from a worse starting position than us it`s hitting home that ONLY change will put us right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
devs
April 28, 2019, 12:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Ron Mariner:
I am always very optimistic, right up until kick off then reality kicks in. We need four quality signings in my opinion. And it won't matter who we have up front unless we have creative midfield players that can provide good service to them.

This about sums up my thoughts

It is so obvious where we need to improve - MJ 100% knows this (he mentions it almost every interview) so he will be devoting almost all of his energies (and budget, hopefully) to the creative side of the team

For me, and depending on budget, I am not sure you can have both Hess and Harry in the team if you want to push for play offs or higher; they are too similar and creativity is not there strong point. It would be harsh on either if dropped to the squad but I think/hope we should be aming higher.

The only nailed on cert for front six next season is Vernam IMO plus one of Hess/Clifton - I am certain that with better delivery and better players he would start showing his Championship class more regularly

Big niggle from yesterday's RH interview with MJ - he said we started 352 and looked very comfortable (I agree) and then "we changed it slightly to more of a 442"...why change it? We were shite after that

And if Max Wright is going to figure next season I am certain 352 is not suited to his style... and we need all attacking options on the pitch

I wish he'd settle on a system and stop tinkering!

So, optimism for next season but only if most of the above comes to pass
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
arryarryarry
April 28, 2019, 2:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from devs
Ron Mariner:
I am always very optimistic, right up until kick off then reality kicks in. We need four quality signings in my opinion. And it won't matter who we have up front unless we have creative midfield players that can provide good service to them.

This about sums up my thoughts

It is so obvious where we need to improve - MJ 100% knows this (he mentions it almost every interview) so he will be devoting almost all of his energies (and budget, hopefully) to the creative side of the team

For me, and depending on budget, I am not sure you can have both Hess and Harry in the team if you want to push for play offs or higher; they are too similar and creativity is not there strong point. It would be harsh on either if dropped to the squad but I think/hope we should be aming higher.

The only nailed on cert for front six next season is Vernam IMO plus one of Hess/Clifton - I am certain that with better delivery and better players he would start showing his Championship class more regularly

Big niggle from yesterday's RH interview with MJ - he said we started 352 and looked very comfortable (I agree) and then "we changed it slightly to more of a 442"...why change it? We were shite after that

And if Max Wright is going to figure next season I am certain 352 is not suited to his style... and we need all attacking options on the pitch

I wish he'd settle on a system and stop tinkering!

So, optimism for next season but only if most of the above comes to pass

Must have been where I was sat but I didn't see 4-4-2 Vernam still seemed to be playing wide.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
devs
April 28, 2019, 2:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
To be honest I get bloody confused what we are playing most of the time!
Point is it's not exactly La Liga in terms of comlicated systems
Why change it if it's working OK?

Get sick of it to be honest
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fresh Optimism

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.