5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
April 27, 2019, 7:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Defence was very poor today, two shocking goals to concede.

We have no creativity in midfield.

We have no movement up front, and no natural finishers at the club.

We have very little pace anywhere in the side, though Max Wright looked useful when he came on. .

All in all I think we would need a large influx of quality in the close season to turn us into a competitive team. I'd say two good strikers and two quality midfield players at the very least.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 45
sam gy
April 27, 2019, 10:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
The last few months have not been good enough there’s no arguing that, Embo was a big loss and Thomas too. Stand by that MJ did the best thing re Thomas though...if he isn’t going to commit to us, why bother playing him anymore. I’d possibly put Ohman in there too, who looked solid before his injury.

At the end of the day we’ve just lost a match against an experienced County that are fighting for their lives, whilst we have six products of the youth team in the match day squad. Not to mention the likes of Vernam, Whitmore etc who are still young lads. The loss is a negative, but the youth getting a chance is a big positive.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
HertsGTFC
April 27, 2019, 10:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Look, I'm not saying MJ is god like jarmo was.... sorry about that.

But the one time fenty backed him in the summer was for a striker, and 2 turned us down, Angol and Bowman.
After this, Jolley decided not to waste money on just anybody, and went for a free agent in Thomas who did well, just hasn't ended well.

If you haven't got a big enough budget, you struggle to sign good enough players

Then ultimately Angol ended up on the bench for the Gimps...... says it all really!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
KingstonMariner
April 30, 2019, 12:11am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

It depends where you look as well as how much you spend. Bogle cost a fair fee, Podge was nothing. Which was the bargain?

I take your point, generally but £30k or £50k wasn't that much. The 'risk' if there was one, was giving Bogle a 3 year contract, which is why we were able to get a fee for him and nowt for Podge.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 45
diehardmariner
April 30, 2019, 9:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
I'm not convinced the defence is anywhere near sorted.

1) We change the system far too much for it to resemble something that's settled.
2) The natural leader of the defence is 38, clearly on the decline and out of contract.
3) We no left footed central defensive option other than the one raised in point 2)
4) We have a real lack of pace in the back line, the only actual pace comes in the form of RHJ who Jolley won't give a settled position too and is also out of contract.
5)The much heralded Ohman, whilst dominant in the air, is a liability on the floor.
6) We don't have a left back/left wing back good enough for a side with aspirations to challenge at the top end of the division.

The only part of the defence I would say is settled is right-back.  That's a right-back in a back four.  Luke Hendrie is a quality right-back at this level and we would do well to improve on him.  He's not, however, a wing-back.  Left-back we need to upgrade on, sorry but Ring is not up to it.  Bar a major improvement over the summer, which I hope he produces, we may have to accept that it was just a bad signing.  

In the middle, Ohman has the potential to be very, very good.  How he turns out is anyone's guess.  Hope for him comes in the form that Shaun Pearson was a liability on the floor at a similar stage of his GTFC career.   Collins is a spent force and I would be disappointed if we offer him a contract in all honesty.  Davis and Whitmore are very much about muchness in my eyes.  Davis I've not been convinced by all season.  Whitmore is limited but a warrior, of the two he's definitely the one I would prefer to have his contract extended.  RHJ is someone we should keep regardless of what position it's in.

The midfield pair of Hess and Clifton are absolutely fine, providing we play with either a creative force ahead of them or two proper wingers.  As a midfield pairing, they are the only area of the pitch I would say is settled and good enough for the next season.  Creativity or width, ideally both, is something we need to bring in urgently.  

Up top we're miles off it.  Our strike force for next year is Cook, Cardwell, Vernam, Burrell and Rose.  I like Cook, I think Vernam is a talent waiting to be unleashed and the two youth team products are raw and exciting.  Cardwell, sadly, is not up to it.  The lad seems to have gone backwards this season and even when he makes some progress, he suffers an injury set-back.  Not one of the 5 are proven goalscorers.  None are out of contract either.  I can't see us going into the season with a glut of strikers on the books so got to expect at least one to be departing.

I like Jolley, I like the fact he's trying to build and develop something. I'm also mindful of the job he's got in hand and the suggestion that his budget is urine poor.  But for a season of transition and development, all I can really see he's developed is a midfield central partnership and not a lot else.  Next 3-4 months are absolutely massive.  Because so many are under contract and because the budget is weak, I don't see many coming in at all.  I think we'll rely quite heavily on the youth next season so it's essential that those that we do bring in are able to guide appropriately.  
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
Croxton
April 30, 2019, 11:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'm not convinced the defence is anywhere near sorted.

1) We change the system far too much for it to resemble something that's settled.
2) The natural leader of the defence is 38, clearly on the decline and out of contract.
3) We no left footed central defensive option other than the one raised in point 2)
4) We have a real lack of pace in the back line, the only actual pace comes in the form of RHJ who Jolley won't give a settled position too and is also out of contract.
5)The much heralded Ohman, whilst dominant in the air, is a liability on the floor.
6) We don't have a left back/left wing back good enough for a side with aspirations to challenge at the top end of the division.

The only part of the defence I would say is settled is right-back.  That's a right-back in a back four.  Luke Hendrie is a quality right-back at this level and we would do well to improve on him.  He's not, however, a wing-back.  Left-back we need to upgrade on, sorry but Ring is not up to it.  Bar a major improvement over the summer, which I hope he produces, we may have to accept that it was just a bad signing.  

In the middle, Ohman has the potential to be very, very good.  How he turns out is anyone's guess.  Hope for him comes in the form that Shaun Pearson was a liability on the floor at a similar stage of his GTFC career.   Collins is a spent force and I would be disappointed if we offer him a contract in all honesty.  Davis and Whitmore are very much about muchness in my eyes.  Davis I've not been convinced by all season.  Whitmore is limited but a warrior, of the two he's definitely the one I would prefer to have his contract extended.  RHJ is someone we should keep regardless of what position it's in.

The midfield pair of Hess and Clifton are absolutely fine, providing we play with either a creative force ahead of them or two proper wingers.  As a midfield pairing, they are the only area of the pitch I would say is settled and good enough for the next season.  Creativity or width, ideally both, is something we need to bring in urgently.  

Up top we're miles off it.  Our strike force for next year is Cook, Cardwell, Vernam, Burrell and Rose.  I like Cook, I think Vernam is a talent waiting to be unleashed and the two youth team products are raw and exciting.  Cardwell, sadly, is not up to it.  The lad seems to have gone backwards this season and even when he makes some progress, he suffers an injury set-back.  Not one of the 5 are proven goalscorers.  None are out of contract either.  I can't see us going into the season with a glut of strikers on the books so got to expect at least one to be departing.

I like Jolley, I like the fact he's trying to build and develop something. I'm also mindful of the job he's got in hand and the suggestion that his budget is urine poor.  But for a season of transition and development, all I can really see he's developed is a midfield central partnership and not a lot else.  Next 3-4 months are absolutely massive.  Because so many are under contract and because the budget is weak, I don't see many coming in at all.  I think we'll rely quite heavily on the youth next season so it's essential that those that we do bring in are able to guide appropriately.  

Very fair summary. Several points of qualification, however.

1. Ring will not get significantly better over a preseason. Back up only.

2. I confess that, at 22, Cardwell has failed to develop and my confidence last year was misplaced. Loan out for regular games and some serious mental and physical toughening.

3. Burrell. Only 18. Time to develop, possible loan?

4. Rose. Fitness concerns mean careful monitoring over the summer. Keep close to the squad, nurse him through preseason and increase game time gradually. Do not loan out.

5 Vernam. Vital to our development next season.

6. Cook. Reliable back up only.

7. Max Wright. No more loans! Tell him we believe in his talent and he is as important as Vernam and Rose.

No 'marquee' signings to disrupt the dressing room, just a proven goalscorer/brute/target man.

Low budget means 3 new signings at most. Goalscorer, playmaker and left back. An offer over 100 grand for Macca would be nice.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 45
diehardmariner
April 30, 2019, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
What I would be interested to know is how the budget for next season compares with this season.

If it's there or thereabouts I would expect the departures of Welsh and Thomas to accommodate the signing of at least two established players, possibly a midfielder and a striker.    The new lads coming up from the youth team will take a wage but I can't imagine even collectively they'll break the bank.  Hooper will no doubt  be leaving and then there's any potential departure of Collins, Whitmore, Davis, RHJ... Even with two departing you've got enough of a wage to bring in another established player.  

We'll never know the budget details but I've got a horrible feeling that the budget will be absolutely jaff all. Hope I'm wrong on that one.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
rancido
April 30, 2019, 2:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
What I would be interested to know is how the budget for next season compares with this season.

If it's there or thereabouts I would expect the departures of Welsh and Thomas to accommodate the signing of at least two established players, possibly a midfielder and a striker.    The new lads coming up from the youth team will take a wage but I can't imagine even collectively they'll break the bank.  Hooper will no doubt  be leaving and then there's any potential departure of Collins, Whitmore, Davis, RHJ... Even with two departing you've got enough of a wage to bring in another established player.  

We'll never know the budget details but I've got a horrible feeling that the budget will be absolutely jaff all. Hope I'm wrong on that one.

I seem to recall that JF admitted , at a recent forum , that he set the budget too low. We also have Mitch Rose off the books and as well as the potential departures you mentioned I also think Woolford will go. We also lost two loanees in Embleton and Pringle , so it is quite possible that MJ could bring in two long term loanees.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 45
diehardmariner
April 30, 2019, 4:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Yep, forgot about the wage of Rose to be honest.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jolley kept Woolford though, he seems to like what he brings to the set-up.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
Northbank Mariner
April 30, 2019, 5:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,389
Gold Stars: 170
Yep, forgot about the wage of Rose to be honest.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jolley kept Woolford though, he seems to like what he brings to the set-up.

Personally I think if he offers Woolford another contract then he needs his bumps testing.. it's clear for all to see he offers very little to the team now, certainly if we are to play the "high pressing, high tempo" Mr Jolley speaks of...
What we do need is some experience in the squad though because otherwise we'll end up with a bunch of kids...and you won't win anything with kids!!!🙄🙄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.