Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Individuals wanting to invest in a small club.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 276 Guests

Individuals wanting to invest in a small club.

This thread currently has 1,472 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
geir
April 25, 2019, 11:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
I have taken some liberty and lifted this post from the "Fenty Out" thread, as I think this deserves its own thread here.
This is the original post that "jock dock tower" posted there:

"The Premiership is already the safe harbour for oligarchs and hedge funds, so much so that foreign investors with a few million pounds to play with are now seemingly concentrating on the Championship - very much as happened with Wolves last year. No doubt they will then start looking into the First and Second Divisions once the options in the top two leagues become even more limited.

"What could the right investor get at Grimsby. With a decent plan, the right personnel on board, they could - if successful - get the kind of advertising and kudos that comes with a successful chairmanship that would normally cost them the millions of pounds that just buying into the club would cost. It's the kind of thing JF has benefited from during his tenure at the club. I assume his profile as a local councillor doesn't suffer as a result of all the publicity and exposure he gets? As P.T. Barnum once famously said "There is no such thing as bad publicity"

"Of course, the right person has to be found, and the Football League has clubs scattered throughout all it's divisions that have fallen foul of their owners, despite them passing the ludicrously inefficient Fit and Proper Person's test that the FL sets. Ever since the Premier League became awash with money it has been a magnet for such fraudsters, and it has done similar in the Football League too, so how about a new way of looking at the issue of ownership? We've had Trusts, we've had Fan Ownership, but how about an amalgam of the two such as a Co-Operative? I have absolutely no idea whether it would work, but it's a model that suits thousands of other businesses across the UK so why not football?"

My question to the original poster and the other posters here are: What would the sales pitch be if you wanted to get a foreign investor to buy into the club?
In Norway, there are a few millionairs around connected to salmon farming and I would think that they would think that Grimsbys logo and history connected to the fishing industry would be of interest to them. But that would probably not be enough... so what more do the club have to offer? What would make them think that a buy-in to this wonderful club would be a good idea? And will Brexit be a problem in that case?
Ideas?

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
1mickylyons
April 26, 2019, 10:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I would try and go down the history and tradition route of the football club Town being one of THE oldest in the English game . Tell them how the Club was formed who by and why, the history and heritage of the Town upto the late 70s and the sad decline til today hence this crying out for investment from afar. I got some interest from America which I passed on several year`s ago but nothing came of it . I am of the opinion there are decent people out there with money who will invest but they want to know what they are getting for that money. If I was rolling in money I can`t think of a greater honour than being custodian of something 141 years old and trying to maintain and preserve that tradition whilst also striving to ensure it gets stronger and lasts another 141 years plus. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 4
TheRealJohnLewis
April 26, 2019, 10:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
The Bury chairman put a statement out today, open, honest and actually says the club is up for sale!

Maybe we should publish that we are for sale, might actually get some interest.

https://twitter.com/buryfcofficial/status/1121504713759916034
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 4
jock dock tower
April 26, 2019, 11:18am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The history is a good place to start from but I would be looking to pitch at the future and green technology and the burgeoning wind farm industry. Wherever there is energy there is money, and will always be so.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 4
Ipswin
April 26, 2019, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
The Bury chairman put a statement out today, open, honest and actually says the club is up for sale!

Maybe we should publish that we are for sale, might actually get some interest.

https://twitter.com/buryfcofficial/status/1121504713759916034

I think it is more a defence statement simply to justify his actions and to rebutt many accusations made against him and his colleagues rather than an advert advising the club is available for purchase. It's the type of statement John Fenty could quite reasonably put out if that's what you think is needed. The 'club is for sale' bit is rather an added thought I think.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Individuals wanting to invest in a small club.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.