Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › 2 youth players offered deals
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 173 Guests

2 youth players offered deals

This thread currently has 5,832 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Sigone
April 23, 2019, 7:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,606
Gold Stars: 5
Rumarn Burrell and Jock Curran are to be offered contracts for next season.  On top of Buckley,Pollock & Battersby..well done lads and well done Neil Woods and coaches that have helped them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
AdamHaddock
April 23, 2019, 7:28pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
Might as well let them start the remaining games

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
KingstonMariner
April 23, 2019, 7:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Sigone
Rumarn Burrell and Jock Curran are to be offered contracts for next season.  On top of Buckley,Pollock & Battersby..well done lads and well done Neil Woods and coaches that have helped them.

Hear hear!

That's not bad going. Those five on top of Clifton and Wright. Let's hope they can all kick on and claim a place in the first team squad.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 23, 2019, 7:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Obviously there's alot of different factors at work but can't deny that our youth seem to flourish with Neil Woods around, shame we ever made him manager we'd have probably produced a few decent lads while in the conference
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
Swansea_Mariner
April 23, 2019, 8:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
It's an amazing achievement forsure producing so many pro players in such a short space of time.

I was hoping we'd see a bit more of Buckley and Pollock as the season draws to a close, hopefully the whole bunch will see some game time. Congratulations to Neil Woods and his team and the young lads too!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
Davec
April 23, 2019, 9:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
When was Brandon Buckley signed on pro terms? I must have missed that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
HertsGTFC
April 23, 2019, 9:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Good news !!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 32
Mariner93er
April 23, 2019, 9:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
Having these young players in the first team squad will hopefully free up wages for better players, if we're willing to depend on them as squad players.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
GrimRob
April 23, 2019, 9:49pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Must be one of the greatest days of their lives. Full marks for putting all the work in to get to this point and wherever their career takes them Grimsby will be proud of them.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 32
diehardmariner
April 24, 2019, 9:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
Absolutely another feather in the cap for Neil Woods and his crew.

I suppose it's easy (and I'm guilty of it too) to think that the large number of youth team deals are more a reflection of how weak our budget is/is going to be.  But from what I've seen, which is relatively limited, of all the young lads who've graduated - none would disgrace themselves in the first team.

They'll need a lot of work and a hell of a lot of hard work but it's great to see that the potential opportunities are going to be there for these lads.  I don't imagine Jolley will have given out contracts to buffer a 35-man squad.  I think it's likely that our matchday squad will feature these lads quite a lot next season.

Yeah, that's risky and yeah there's a danger that we'll lack experience.  But there's also some real positives in this too.  The club should market the season ticket sales on the back of this.  Every single one of the youth team graduates (including Rose, Clifton and Wright) as the poster boys of it.  This season may not have brought much to shout about but the one thing we have done is seen a lot of young lads get a chance.  The fans can relate to that, far more than they can a picture of Jordan Cook (absolutely no disrespect) celebrate one of the measly amount of goals we've scored this season.

The other positive is that this could be something really special.  I'm too young to have witnessed the late 70's/early 80's wave of local talent that came through the ranks together.  Since then we've had limited success with developing youth talent.  Buckley MKI did well out of Macca, Mark Lever, Tommy Watson, Chris Hargreaves to an extent and then later on Peter Handyside and Gary Croft. But since then it's really been slim pickings.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › 2 youth players offered deals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.