KingstonMariner
April 23, 2019, 7:03pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer

Your French is not very good,should be "ZERS" riots-"zer" is the singular-mon ami

I'll have you know I've spent years with the best guidance on the French language, as she is spoken not textbook French. The programme I use also covers spoken German, Italian and English. It's an old app called 'Allo 'Allo.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
FishOutOfWater
April 24, 2019, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Good call KM

I always found the infamous Monsieur Artois is guaranteed to get you talking "Double Dutch" as well  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 35
KingstonMariner
April 25, 2019, 12:47am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Good call KM

I always found the infamous Monsieur Artois is guaranteed to get you talking "Double Dutch" as well  

I always thought it was Madamoiselle Artois? Stella's a funny name for un bloke n'est-ce pas?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
Tommy
April 25, 2019, 2:22am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
As others have said, it was much better wasn't it.

I saw the line-up and expected 3-5-2 and was surprised to see Hendrie lining up in a midfield 3 with Hess and Harry. That said, he did alright in there, much better than Davis did in midfield. More mobility and more technical ability than Davis helped. Was getting into the final third enough times but then under-cooking passes or poor balls into the box let us down.

Contained Carlisle quite well and although they had spells of decent possession, they weren't hurting us with it, didn't create chances against us and we were a well organised unit.

Dennis had a quiet game. But he's a finisher. A poacher. And if we're not creating chances then he's going to have quiet games and he's going to struggle to do impact a game. He'll be an asset to a half decent team next season I'm sure.

Rose and Vernam threatened to make things happen. I would've loved Rose to be given a bit longer down the middle where Dennis was playing. He's not got a bad leap on him to challenge in the air, but the few minutes he had centrally before having to come off, you could see the fear in the centre-backs who could sense him putting them under pressure.

I thought Ring did OK. A wing-back he isn't, but i think he'll be a capable full-back in a back 4, with someone ahead of him to link up with.

The Woolford sub hindered us and I can't for the life of me understand why we didn't put one of the younger lads on at that time instead. I actually thought the same when Grayson came on but he scored a very well-taken winner, so can't complain too much about that one.

It seemed madness to me to try and play 7 minutes of injury time with no striker, in a kind of 4-Pollock-4-Clifton-nobody (4-6-0). I don't mind us bringing everyone back for corners but to set up like that in open play, with no striker and invite pressure in the final few minutes was absolute lunacy to me.

I thought Whitmore competed brilliantly but he has his limits. He's a real "kick it and head it" centre back who just gets balls away. Direction not always controlled.

RHJ similarly has limits. Good physical attributes and can get up and down the pitch, but his quality on the ball, delivery into the box, and decision-making at times in possession, is way off.

Thought Hessenthaler was our best player. He's one who could comfortably play in a better team. And hopefully that'll be with us next season.

A bigger rebuild needed than we thought at various times this season, but still not as big as in previous years. Will be interesting to see who MJ sticks with and if he stays loyal to some of the older players and some players who I think are OK, but we could actually do better than.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
diehardmariner
April 25, 2019, 8:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,066
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from Tommy
As others have said, it was much better wasn't it.

A bigger rebuild needed than we thought at various times this season, but still not as big as in previous years. Will be interesting to see who MJ sticks with and if he stays loyal to some of the older players and some players who I think are OK, but we could actually do better than.

If we're going to improve to the levels we aspire to, ignoring any budget constraints, I think it's a significant rebuild needed.

As an absolute minimum I think we need 2 centre backs, a left back, a bruiser of a midfielder, a creative midfielder, a winger, two strikers.  That said I'm really not sure that's what we'll get.

Jolley has now either re-signed or brought in every single member of this squad who has a contract beyond the end of this season.  I also get the feeling that even with the departures of Welsh, Hooper, Thomas etc. we're looking at this as our lot for the next season, hence so many young lads getting deals to fill out the squad.  Maybe a bit of money to bring in a proper striker and possibly he might want to upgrade on one of Davis or Whitmore.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
jamesgtfc
April 25, 2019, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from diehardmariner

If we're going to improve to the levels we aspire to, ignoring any budget constraints, I think it's a significant rebuild needed.

As an absolute minimum I think we need 2 centre backs, a left back, a bruiser of a midfielder, a creative midfielder, a winger, two strikers.  That said I'm really not sure that's what we'll get.

Jolley has now either re-signed or brought in every single member of this squad who has a contract beyond the end of this season.  I also get the feeling that even with the departures of Welsh, Hooper, Thomas etc. we're looking at this as our lot for the next season, hence so many young lads getting deals to fill out the squad.  Maybe a bit of money to bring in a proper striker and possibly he might want to upgrade on one of Davis or Whitmore.

In an ideal world we will finish next season with Clifton approaching/surpassing 100 games and Wright having notched up a few appearances. If we can get Pollock, Curran, Buckley and Burrell out on loan early on, one of them could prove themselves ready by the end of the season.

It is great that our squad is padded out with youth graduates providing it allows extra money to be spent in the key areas you mentioned. We definitely need someone in the middle to win the aerial challenges and second balls. This may explain his decision to add the height of Davis and Hendrie in recent games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How come there is no, "Just Back" thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.