April 23, 2019, 3:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I was led to believe that there would be a lot more coming from Carlisle

To be honest being so close to the play-offs and with it being a sunny bank holiday Monday, I was surprised at their low turn out ( just under 300)

Agree, if the roles had been reversed and we were 1 point/position from the playoffs and playing away at Carlisle on a sunny bank holiday I can guarantee our numbers would have been close to 1000.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
golfer
April 23, 2019, 6:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Yeah. I was surprised by that too. Arf Arted. Thought they were a well supported club.

I counted their supporters in the away end and there were only 3- and they all wore yellow jackets
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
marinerrick
April 23, 2019, 6:47am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
I hope that jolley will now have realised that vernam is worthy of a start now rather than like today when he had no choice. Every chance on goal came through vernam. Thought clifton had a decent game with a few silly errors. Rose looks sharp but would like to see him next season playing where Dennis was as I think his pace would cause problems. Hess had a decent game worked hard and delivered some good balls. Ring I'm undecided about maybe the lad needs a rest and a pre season to get the best from him. R H-J looked lazy at times. Maybe lack of confidence over the whole side was partly to blame but as the game wore on players started to find some confidence and not be afraid to have a go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
Bristol Mariner
April 23, 2019, 7:11am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Pants train journey, got back at 12.30am

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
KingstonMariner
April 23, 2019, 8:23am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer

I counted their supporters in the away end and there were only 3- and they all wore yellow jackets

Must have been from France trying to start the protests over here. Probably saw BP and thought 'eet looks like ze Engleesh ave already ad zer riots.'

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
BeijingMariner
April 23, 2019, 8:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Good lord, and I thought the Fishy was negative (which it is, sometimes)....[url]https://www.thecumbrians.net/cufc-forum/main-forum/10177-18-19-grimsby-a-match-thread?start=0[/url]

one of their fans said we were 'neat and tidy' in the opening minutes of the game, then absolutely everyone else said what a shower of sh#te we were. I thought we were alright, actually, some really bright passages of play, lots of pressing, working hard. Maybe it was just me.....
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 23, 2019, 8:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,643
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from marinerrick
I hope that jolley will now have realised that vernam is worthy of a start now rather than like today when he had no choice. Every chance on goal came through vernam. Thought clifton had a decent game with a few silly errors. Rose looks sharp but would like to see him next season playing where Dennis was as I think his pace would cause problems. Hess had a decent game worked hard and delivered some good balls. Ring I'm undecided about maybe the lad needs a rest and a pre season to get the best from him. R H-J looked lazy at times. Maybe lack of confidence over the whole side was partly to blame but as the game wore on players started to find some confidence and not be afraid to have a go.

RHJ looked lazy!!!!!! Did you not see him overlapping throughout the game and on one occasion was the only player we had in a forward position and another ran the full length of the pitch pretty much ending up in the first row of the Pontoon. We certainly see the game from different perspectives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
jamesgtfc
April 23, 2019, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from marinerrick

He may have been tired at the end but he got through some miles up and down that right flank! He is definitely not lazy!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
diehardmariner
April 23, 2019, 10:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
Pleased Rose got his start but disappointed he was used on the wing, in fact disappointed with the system overall if I'm honest.  Vernam and Rose are the two players we had in the line-up likely or indeed capable of creating something.  Be it through pace or just sheer technical ability.  I felt both were wasted out wide, despite both showing what they can do.  Both have pace, to burn in the case of Rose.   By not having them go up against a 3-stone overweight Anthony Gerrard was a missed opportunity in my eyes.  

Hess was awesome again in midfield.  By a country mile he's my player of the season, him and Clifton really compliment each other so well with their energy.  They just badly need a creative player in front of them to make the most of their hard work.   Hendrie in there gave us another body but not all convinced he's a central midfielder.  I don't think the lad disgraced himself at all but it was a bit disappointing to see him in that role when we've got a young lad on the bench in Jock Curran who has been getting rave reviews playing in front of the back four for the reserves.

Thought we were solid at the back, Carlisle had a couple of very nimble and tricky performers but the back 4 handled them well.  McKeown made a very smart save when required.  

Dennis was starved of service but in turn he didn't offer an outlet when we needed him to be one either.  Lost count of the amount of times our midfield broke from deep but he was hiding away behind a defender.   The first ten minutes he actually led the line really well with some clever lay-offs, not sure if he then just tired.  I was all for giving the lad a fair run of games to see what he can do but he doesn't seem to have remotely improved his fitness since arriving, I think this is probably just going to be one of those deals that looked good on paper but not in reality.  

As a side note, quite a few occasions where we knocked it about really well only for the long grass to hold the ball up and kill any passage of play.  Not sure if instructions are to protect the pitch (not sure why at this stage of the season) then fair enough but our play needs to reflect the surface and vice-versa.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
friskneymariner
April 23, 2019, 11:01am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
R.H.J. looked lazy? in the second half our main outlet was through him and Vernham over lapping on the right,did you not see him sprint after that lost cause of a ball in the last quarter of the game.He gave everything in the match.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How come there is no, "Just Back" thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.