Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunny.....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 353 Guests

Scunny.....

This thread currently has 38,601 views. Print
19 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
May 24, 2019, 3:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Great post GYiS, no real football fan can actually hate the Town/City that club is based in because we're all pretty much in the same boat. Some Scunts over the years came on here and slagged off Gy, and Town fans did the same in reverse but really, what's the difference in these places?

Same goes for Lincoln, all you'l hear is 'ooh, Cathedral this, Steep Hill that..' while omitting the horrific spice epidemic, the unwanted stat of most homeless dying on the streets in the UK and other modern problems while Grimsby is an easy target with people omitting the survey that showed Gy came 2nd nationally in the trusted neighbours Community survey.
Real fans will always end up talking footy over a pint, a cuppa or whatever, rivals or not. because it's the love of the game that holds it all together, through thick and thin. And some more thin

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 184
jaygy
May 24, 2019, 3:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I think the government have been very shrewd in what they’ve done this week. They’ve not lent a (very bent) company in Greybull a huge amount of money and, although this means the steelworks goes into administration, they get rid of Greybull and can look at potential buyers for a part government owned steelworks. Greybull have spent 300million in France on a project there and our government will have known this when deciding on whether to hand money over. It’s still an uncertain time for all the lads on the steelworks(myself included) but if the government has to decide on running the steelworks themselves at a slight loss/break even or put 20,000 workers on the dole I’m sure their decision will be an easy one.

On the football side of things I’ve never had any problems with Scunny fans but my goodness it’s been a long time coming being at the same level and I really hope we get the bragging rights next season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 184
Gaffer58
May 24, 2019, 4:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Well wrote GY, like you started in 1976, had 40 years in CEW, lots of good memories of the place and wouldn't wish the worst to happen. Now the bloody football club, it can go down the toilet as far as I'm concerned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 184
GYinScuntland
May 25, 2019, 2:10pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from BeijingMariner

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on the Fishy. I wish I had time to write down a proper response but I am moving house, country, continent and job, my youngest is finishing school in three weeks so am a tad busy. Suffice to say, Mr GY, even though you have a few years on me, I reckon we shared some haunts in Scunny, I was living in Wrawby, school in Brigg and in a band in Scunny, playing the Baths, Henry VIII, The Sherpa. I never had it in for Scunny or it's people or even it's team to be honest. This is a great piece of writing. I truly feel for any worker faced with redundancy, even if they are in Scunthorpe, or............Lincoln!

Used to frequent the King Henry all the time for the upstairs heavy metal, new wave and punk dos.
The Sherpa is a few hundred yards from me and pop in with a mate from time to time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 184
FishOutOfWater
May 27, 2019, 4:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from GYinScuntland
I started on the steelworks in '75 in the days when your parents told you if you didn't do well at school you'd "end up on the works like your dad"
I didn't do well at school so I did end up there and actually with my dad but it served me well as a job for life for 40 years, one I didn't really appreciate at the time because let's face it a sixteen year old boy would rather be out with his mates than working 2/10 or nights. I stuck it out though.

Those days were incredible, the works were a melting pot, people from all over the UK and the world, many at odds with each other both in culture and football allegiances.
We used to go out together after work, the English, Indians ,and Poles, then around to the Pakistani lads houses for a curry sat around the fire, they didn't drink but were happy to get the food on, there were no Maccy Dees or Kentucky in those days.
Religion or having to respect each others culture wasn't rammed down every ones throats either and for years we thought Sikh was a part of India and Islam a part of Pakistan.
We all dressed the same, spoke the same to the best of our abilities and got on as best we could.

My own intake comprised of young lads from Scunthorpe, South Yorkshire, Grimsby, India, Pakistan and Eastern Europe.
You can only imagine it eh?
Scunthorpe v Grimsby, Lincolnshire v Yorkshire, Poland v Latvia and don't even get me started on Pakistan v India.
Yes, we all had our moments, a chelp here, a slap there, a bit of mither over there but we all stood and worked and covered each others backs when it really counted - on the shop floor.

Dangerous work in those days, just like the trawlers were, too many died young, were scarred for life or mutilated.
Friendships for life were forged, some for too short a time.
One of my first steelworks friendships was made on intake because the lad had a GTFC badge on his denim jacket as did I, I was sent to the Bloom and Billet Mill where my dad worked and he was sent to the coke ovens where he died four weeks later, cut in half under a coke wagon at the age of sixteen. I have never forgotten his name.
To this day many people can be seen around Scunthorpe with what might look like to some as hideous birthmarks, it's molten iron or steel.

In those days there were three Steelworks in Scunthorpe employing probably 30,000 over the various sites.

The top of North Lincs Rd was a huge bus terminal bringing in workers from the areas of Grimsby, Doncaster, Lincoln and even Hull which bearing in mind the bridge was unbuilt was no mean feat and many a time I kipped at a mates house in Meggies after footy then caught the 5am to Scunthorpe works on the sunday morning.
It's really hard to appreciate how massive the place was compared to today.

Some on here might hate Scunthorpe, some might think it's great the works could be buggered.
It's OK to hate Scunthorpe the football club, sodomist me, I bristle myself when I see the bloody badge, that's normal and how it should be but think it through.

In my last ten years on the works I was logistics based. We had Grimsby area HGV drivers who couldn't  get work picking up loads from farms and relied on eight, yes eight deliveries to the works every day starting at 4am.
Only the eighth one gave them a profit. it used to break my heart when one turned up ten minutes after the place they were tipping had shut.

The works shuts, and that driver is out of work. Multiply that by 800 lorry drivers looking for work.
All the people who load the lorry driver at the docks or railway stations not needed.
The quarries around the country that supply the limes for the steelworks not needed.
All the suppliers of the various alloys for the steel making process not needed.
Coal not needed because the coke ovens are shut.
Local manufacturers of bearings who supply the works on a daily basis not needed.
Cleaners not needed.
Caterers not needed.
The companies and farms who rely on Bi products from the works such as sulphates, tar and slag, what do they do?
It is so far reaching it's nearly unbelievable.
I could go on and on and on.

I was lucky to have had a job for life there and was very proud to have done my bit, I really hope it's there for future generations.

Just seen that this is the Post of the Week

For me, I'd say it was the Post of the Year

Really honest and moving... well done mate for telling it how it is
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 174 - 184
chaos33
May 27, 2019, 7:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
I started on the steelworks in '75 in the days when your parents told you if you didn't do well at school you'd "end up on the works like your dad"
I didn't do well at school so I did end up there and actually with my dad but it served me well as a job for life for 40 years, one I didn't really appreciate at the time because let's face it a sixteen year old boy would rather be out with his mates than working 2/10 or nights. I stuck it out though.

Those days were incredible, the works were a melting pot, people from all over the UK and the world, many at odds with each other both in culture and football allegiances.
We used to go out together after work, the English, Indians ,and Poles, then around to the Pakistani lads houses for a curry sat around the fire, they didn't drink but were happy to get the food on, there were no Maccy Dees or Kentucky in those days.
Religion or having to respect each others culture wasn't rammed down every ones throats either and for years we thought Sikh was a part of India and Islam a part of Pakistan.
We all dressed the same, spoke the same to the best of our abilities and got on as best we could.

My own intake comprised of young lads from Scunthorpe, South Yorkshire, Grimsby, India, Pakistan and Eastern Europe.
Scunthorpe v Grimsby, Lincolnshire v Yorkshire, Poland v Latvia and don't even get me started on Pakistan v India.
Yes, we all had our moments, a chelp here, a slap there, a bit of mither over there but we all stood and worked and covered each others backs when it really counted - on the shop floor.

Dangerous work in those days, just like the trawlers were, too many died young, were scarred for life or mutilated.
One of my first steelworks friendships was made on intake because the lad had a GTFC badge on his denim jacket as did I, I was sent to the Bloom and Billet Mill where my dad worked and he was sent to the coke ovens where he died four weeks later, cut in half under a coke wagon at the age of sixteen. I have never forgotten his name.
To this day many people can be seen around Scunthorpe with what might look like to some as hideous birthmarks, it's molten iron or steel.

In those days there were three Steelworks in Scunthorpe employing probably 30,000 over the various sites.

The top of North Lincs Rd was a huge bus terminal bringing in workers from the areas of Grimsby, Doncaster, Lincoln and even Hull which bearing in mind the bridge was unbuilt was no mean feat and many a time I kipped at a mates house in Meggies after footy then caught the 5am to Scunthorpe works on the sunday morning.

Some on here might hate Scunthorpe, some might think it's great the works could be buggered.
It's OK to hate Scunthorpe the football club, sodomist me, I bristle myself when I see the bloody badge, that's normal and how it should be but think it through.

In my last ten years on the works I was logistics based. We had Grimsby area HGV drivers who couldn't  get work picking up loads from farms and relied on eight, yes eight deliveries to the works every day starting at 4am.
Only the eighth one gave them a profit. it used to break my heart when one turned up ten minutes after the place they were tipping had shut.

The works shuts, and that driver is out of work. Multiply that by 800 lorry drivers looking for work.
All the people who load the lorry driver at the docks or railway stations not needed.
The quarries around the country that supply the limes for the steelworks not needed.
All the suppliers of the various alloys for the steel making process not needed.
Local manufacturers of bearings who supply the works on a daily basis not needed.
Cleaners not needed.
Caterers not needed.
The companies and farms who rely on Bi products from the works such as sulphates, tar and slag, what do they do?

I was lucky to have had a job for life there and was very proud to have done my bit, I really hope it's there for future generations.

One of the very best posts I’ve ever read on here.
Much respect mate.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 184
FishOutOfWater
May 27, 2019, 7:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from chaos33

One of the very best posts I’ve ever read on here.
Much respect mate.

Get ready Chaos.... the x brigage are on the warpath for me saying much the same thing.  Wasters!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 176 - 184
KingstonMariner
May 27, 2019, 7:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Agree. Well deserved Post of the Week GYiS

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 184
Sweden
May 27, 2019, 9:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +318
Gold Stars: 8

Cleaners not needed.
Caterers not needed.

Best I've read in a long time. Recognizes me very much as growing up in a society built with the steel as a foundation. I have worked as a steelworker since 1978  to last yaer. We had people from Finland, Hungary etc. who worked there with us Swedes. Nowadays, the jobs have disappeared and these communities have had a negative development. Fan of Grimsby since 15 jan 1977 Crystal Palace - Grimsby Town 2-1 brodcasting on TV here in Sweden.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 184
Poojah
May 27, 2019, 9:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Sweden

Fan of Grimsby since 15 jan 1977 Crystal Palace - Grimsby Town 2-1 brodcasting on TV here in Sweden.

Genuinely intriguing that. A few years before I was born so I’ve no idea of the context of the match, but what was it about a 2-1 defeat that drew you to a club and town you presumably had no prior affinity with? I get why the Man United’s and Liverpool’s of this world develop massive fan bases in far flung parts of the world, but I find it interesting how less successful and fashionable clubs such as ourselves pick up the odd international fan.

Good on you, by the way!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 184
19 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunny.....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.