4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
chicaneuk
April 21, 2019, 10:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
The amusing thing to me is this expectation that we are somehow entitled or expected to excel each season.. and then people are upset that we are just not climbing the table season after season.

At least we have had relatively recent success in terms of our promotion back to league football. There are 24 clubs in league two... some of them will get promoted, some of them will get relegated. Meanwhile, the majority are destined to do neither and just sit somewhere mid or lower end of the table and be average. Maybe we are just going to have to settle for being average for a while and with that comes periods of form and periods of bad form.

I genuinely don’t believe we will get a more interesting and enthusiastic manager at this level (though we seem to be doing a good job of beating that out of him) and genuinely feel that with the right support from the club he can still deliver us success in years to come.. but we have to get over being so drunk off at the mediocre performances. We are safe this season.. we had some high points this season.. and just accept that there needs to be higher level changes in the club in order to effect real change. If constant rotation of management and players has delivered no real success in years then surely there is something else wrong with the formula.

Besides, it could be a lot worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
grimsby pete
April 21, 2019, 10:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from chicaneuk
The amusing thing to me is this expectation that we are somehow entitled or expected to excel each season.. and then people are upset that we are just not climbing the table season after season.

At least we have had relatively recent success in terms of our promotion back to league football. There are 24 clubs in league two... some of them will get promoted, some of them will get relegated. Meanwhile, the majority are destined to do neither and just sit somewhere mid or lower end of the table and be average. Maybe we are just going to have to settle for being average for a while and with that comes periods of form and periods of bad form.

I genuinely don’t believe we will get a more interesting and enthusiastic manager at this level (though we seem to be doing a good job of beating that out of him) and genuinely feel that with the right support from the club he can still deliver us success in years to come.. but we have to get over being so drunk off at the mediocre performances. We are safe this season.. we had some high points this season.. and just accept that there needs to be higher level changes in the club in order to effect real change. If constant rotation of management and players has delivered no real success in years then surely there is something else wrong with the formula.

I don't think promotion was expected by most on here at the start of the season but challenging for a play off place should have not been too optimistic .

Also hardly anybody is calling for Jolley to be sacked they all want him to have a better budget,

The only person most want gone is Fenty.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
MuddyWaters
April 21, 2019, 10:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chicaneuk

Agree with most of that and it’s clear that the mediocrity comes from how the whole club is run rather than just the playing side. However I don’t think it unreasonable to expect something a little better than what we’ve had since 2005.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
chicaneuk
April 21, 2019, 11:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

I don't think promotion was expected by most on here at the start of the season but challenging for a play off place should have not been too optimistic .

Also hardly anybody is calling for Jolley to be sacked they all want him to have a better budget,

The only person most want gone is Fenty.

Even I've come round to the idea now that Fenty probably needs to go after years of not understanding why he was so disliked. I think for me it was some of the disastrous press releases he put out around 18 months ago that swayed my opinion. It's like the guy just doesn't understand how to handle PR at all.. and that's fine cause it's clearly a skill that not everyone has. But when someone like myself can read a statement that he puts out as a chairman of a league football club,(and I certainly have no experience of how to do PR) and it makes me shiver from head to toe with embarrassment... he has to realise it's not something he's cut out to do

Yes, I'm grateful that he's put some money into the club over the years but I feel now we're stuck in a limbo where nothing will really change. Is it possible we might be worse off if he goes? Yes. But it gives us the chance to try and find another way forward, for better or worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
arryarryarry
April 21, 2019, 11:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from chicaneuk

Even I've come round to the idea now that Fenty probably needs to go after years of not understanding why he was so disliked. I think for me it was some of the disastrous press releases he put out around 18 months ago that swayed my opinion. It's like the guy just doesn't understand how to handle PR at all.. and that's fine cause it's clearly a skill that not everyone has. But when someone like myself can read a statement that he puts out as a chairman of a league football club,(and I certainly have no experience of how to do PR) and it makes me shiver from head to toe with embarrassment... he has to realise it's not something he's cut out to do

Yes, I'm grateful that he's put some money into the club over the years but I feel now we're stuck in a limbo where nothing will really change. Is it possible we might be worse off if he goes? Yes. But it gives us the chance to try and find another way forward, for better or worse.

You couldn't understand why he was so disliked?

Have you only just started being a supporter? You need to look up the history of the past 16 years as I can't be bothered to go through it all again.

As for your comment about fans expecting us to excel, just not being around the bottom two would be nice.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
chicaneuk
April 21, 2019, 11:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

You couldn't understand why he was so disliked?

Have you only just started being a supporter? You need to look up the history of the past 16 years as I can't be bothered to go through it all again.

As for your comment about fans expecting us to excel, just not being around the bottom two would be nice.

I really only started to follow town around the season when we got demoted to non league. And honestly whilst I am a fan, I guess I am not as invested in it as some folks are..  I follow the results, dip into the forum occasionally and go to 4-5 games a season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
Marinerz93
April 21, 2019, 12:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
We do our PR on the pitch and for that reason since our return to the league we have been left just being relieved that we reach safety with a few games to go.

The top of the tree needs thinning out, there is no sunshine coming through because a couple of vine weeds have gotten into the canopy.

I take you back to Marley's statement when he said one investor said why should he invest because all you get is dogs abuse. Marley didn't say what his reply to the potential investor to sway him like, there's a bit of turmoil at the minute but when the going is good it is fantastic to be involved with the club. More like oh ok then, such defeatist attitude stems from the boardroom, Fenty in almost every interview claims a bit of victim hood in his statements and how we should all be grateful for yours truly. There is no drive and determination coming from the top that resonates through the club, so we are left with the hype to sell tickets followed by relief when we are safe with a few games to go at the end of the season, always hoping there is worse teams than ourselves, call ourselves supporters how can you support something that doesn't have fabric to support itself.

We all need to just turn up and take whats on offer because one day, yes one day that bit of football fortune will come along and everything will be ok, no drive, determination is require because something will fall out of the sky into our laps and then we can give the hero worship JF's is truly owed.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
April 21, 2019, 12:31pm
Guest User
Can't wait for next season, I'm sure we will be at least in the Playoff places. First there is next seasons fixture list, all the transfer speculation, then a few friendlies,  then down to the real thing. I felt this way then we played Forest Green....oops. Still will always be excited by a New Season. Not forgetting England as well. I live in hope!!
Reply: 27 - 32
GrimRob
April 21, 2019, 12:56pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,401
Gold Stars: 113
You really have to scratch around to find anything positive at the moment. Last season ended so well it generated its own excitement that took us over the summer. I have never felt less excited about the prospects for next year than I can remember for a very long time and I am generally a positive, optimistic person. I dread to think of how more negative people are feeling.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 32
lew chaterleys lover
April 21, 2019, 1:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Our current run of 10 games without a win is nearly a quarter of a season.

In addition to that sobering thought, we have virtually no attacking intent, and have only scored more than once in a handful of games.

In the close season we will be among the favourites for the drop, and the chances of getting any notable signings with that prospect and a lower table budget are fast disappearing over the horizon.

I think it is about time those that run the club realised this is a full blown crisis; yes we have avoided the drop, wow, but we are not even treading water.

Something has gone badly wrong, just like it did in the second half of the Slade season. Fenty and Co. need to do something about it - the board, the manager the players and everyone * connected with the club need to get togerther and sort it out.

If Fenty is not going, then he needs to take charge of the situation, and not just making the manager take the blame; Jolley does take a lot of the blame on the playing side, no doubt about it, but the malaise runs much deeper and it is about time the board did something to address the problems at GTFC.

Something radical has to happen soon; too many people are becoming disenchanted with GTFC, and the future along the same lines looks bleak.

* Not the fans who have been the only good thing in this fiasco. We have been incredibly patient.  

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I feel sick

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.