Lincoln Mariner 56
April 22, 2019, 8:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,643
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from denni266
I think jolly was trying to take some praise for todays team in his interview.. in truth  the team was just about forced on him with suspensions and injurys etc. .

Would not disagree plus a dig at the fans for criticism after Colchester game and a “ government type” approach to statistics by ignoring the ten game winless run by going back a further 5 matches to include our last decent spell. To be honest find his interviews as boring and repetitive as Hurst’s used to be particularly his continual building up of the opposition and their capabilities.

That said decent performance today and whilst Rose & Vernam are nowhere near the finished article having their pace and Davis & Whitmore at centre back made such a positive difference to our approach to the game. Have to say I have struggled to understand why Whitmore has not played more often and whilst I appreciate he may have had the odd nightmare he has always played decent game when I have seen him in a back four.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 59
sydney
April 22, 2019, 8:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Can’t Make NC sat as away but can someone ask MJ if he will play Max Wright for the Crewe Game please
The lad deserves it..
Thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 59
FishOutOfWater
April 22, 2019, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from denni266
I think jolly was trying to take some praise for todays team in his interview.. in truth  the team was just about forced on him with suspensions and injurys etc. .

So let me get it straight.... we lose at Colchester 1-0 and it's Jolley's fault but we beat Carlisle 1-0 and he can't take any credit for that?  

Funny but I thought I'd read here recently that all of the players now were his alone and nobody he'd inherited, so why not take praise for HIS team winning?

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 59
KingstonMariner
April 22, 2019, 9:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Would not disagree plus a dig at the fans for criticism after Colchester game and a “ government type” approach to statistics by ignoring the ten game winless run by going back a further 5 matches to include our last decent spell. To be honest find his interviews as boring and repetitive as Hurst’s used to be particularly his continual building up of the opposition and their capabilities.

That said decent performance today and whilst Rose & Vernam are nowhere near the finished article having their pace and Davis & Whitmore at centre back made such a positive difference to our approach to the game. Have to say I have struggled to understand why Whitmore has not played more often and whilst I appreciate he may have had the odd nightmare he has always played decent game when I have seen him in a back four.

The difference is in this division we're in the middle of the pack financially so many teams should be relatively good compared to us, whereas for most of Hurst's time we were one of the better funded clubs. Jolley bigging up the opposition is realistic. Hurst was just giving himself an excuse.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 59
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 22, 2019, 9:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,643
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The difference is in this division we're in the middle of the pack financially so many teams should be relatively good compared to us, whereas for most of Hurst's time we were one of the better funded clubs. Jolley bigging up the opposition is realistic. Hurst was just giving himself an excuse.

Take your point but in reality think this season L2 has been at its weakest since our return with no stand out teams like Donny, Portsmouth and Plymouth when we returned or Luton and Accrington last season, and we won at their place. Even the locals have been saying how poor Lincoln have played since Xmas and they walked the title. Carlisle were pretty average today, decent, especially Ohara ?, number 17, but they created one chance all game.

Just think he needs to be more positive about his own team and inject a more positive approach to our play and make them worry about us. The comment about stumbling on today’s team has some validity as would Collins have been omitted, would Vernam and Rose have both started?

I am not one who advocates changing the Manager but I do think the Manager has to change and hopefully he will have learned an awful lot this year. Today’s approach with better players would be a great start and let’s hope this was the acorn with the mighty oak still to come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 59
mimma
April 23, 2019, 1:07am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
My biggest gripe is how negative we are.Has MJ found Slade's power points and statistics and decided to use them?

When Carlisle had a corner they had one centre half near the halfway line with nobody to mark, meaning that they had extra defenders in our penalty area. Leave one up would have meant that they would have had to pull one or two defenders back to cover him.

Why do we bunch up on the halfway line for goal kicks? Macca just hoofs it upwards which just gives it back to them. It's awful. Spread out across the pitch which stretches them out and gives us more space, and hit it flatter for us to chest it down or flick on or summat. At least we have half a chance of getting the ball down instead of trying to out jump a seven foot tall giant.

When we break from a corner we always have to slow down to allow the rest to catch up. It's very basic stuff but it seems to pass by our coaching staff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 59
coddy60
April 23, 2019, 9:49am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Anybody stopping over and looking for something to do on Sunday, it's Notts CC open day.
£2 entry and they are playing a 20/20 against Yorkshire.
You also get to go on the pitch and meet the players   👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 59
Croxton
April 23, 2019, 10:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from mimma
My biggest gripe is how negative we are.Has MJ found Slade's power points and statistics and decided to use them?

When Carlisle had a corner they had one centre half near the halfway line with nobody to mark, meaning that they had extra defenders in our penalty area. Leave one up would have meant that they would have had to pull one or two defenders back to cover him.

Why do we bunch up on the halfway line for goal kicks? Macca just hoofs it upwards which just gives it back to them. It's awful. Spread out across the pitch which stretches them out and gives us more space, and hit it flatter for us to chest it down or flick on or summat. At least we have half a chance of getting the ball down instead of trying to out jump a seven foot tall giant.

When we break from a corner we always have to slow down to allow the rest to catch up. It's very basic stuff but it seems to pass by our coaching staff.

Macca hardly varies his kicks. So often a gift to the opposing defence. Little evidence of a tactical ploy, just kick it as high as possible?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 59
Northbank Mariner
April 23, 2019, 10:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,442
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Croxton

Macca hardly varies his kicks. So often a gift to the opposing defence. Little evidence of a tactical ploy, just kick it as high as possible?

Let's all be right about this macca is a good keeper, not great but good and he is a great shot stopper whilst being pretty capable in one and one situations..
Where he falls down is his distribution, kicks are aimed in a general direction in the hope we get an head in it and when he catches the ball from crosses etc he is far to slow to release it, which in turn gives the opposition all the time in the world to get back into position and snuff out another aimless punt up field..
I sometimes wonder if that is why Marcus Bignott couldn't wait to get a new keeper a la Dean Henderson and drop macca to the bench..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 59
nealeardleyscrossing
April 23, 2019, 12:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -323
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Take your point but in reality think this season L2 has been at its weakest since our return with no stand out teams like Donny, Portsmouth and Plymouth when we returned or Luton and Accrington last season, and we won at their place. Even the locals have been saying how poor Lincoln have played since Xmas and they walked the title. Carlisle were pretty average today, decent, especially Ohara ?, number 17, but they created one chance all game.

Just think he needs to be more positive about his own team and inject a more positive approach to our play and make them worry about us. The comment about stumbling on today’s team has some validity as would Collins have been omitted, would Vernam and Rose have both started?

I am not one who advocates changing the Manager but I do think the Manager has to change and hopefully he will have learned an awful lot this year. Today’s approach with better players would be a great start and let’s hope this was the acorn with the mighty oak still to come.

Not sure which locals you have been talking too, but we have lost once since Boxing Day , against Carlisle and we had 10 men for over an hour. I think the league has been strong, in that anyone can beat anyone on their day - I actually don't think there have been many weak teams - I just think we have been consistent and very hard to beat, which has set us aside. We will have to pay some cash though if we want to make any impression next year, as there are some giants in that league financially compared to ourselves.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Notts county away

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.