Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why??just why??
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 198 Guests

Why??just why??

This thread currently has 5,127 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
April 20, 2019, 2:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

To be replaced with equally low grade players, sadly.

If we have not got the budget, there isn't a lot anybody can do.

I expect that we have 60% of next season’s squad here already with room to replace Collins, Woolford, Mitch Rose, Welsh, Thomas and Hooper. Assuming Whitehouse gets fully fit, we could have 7 new/as new signings plus loan replacements for Grayson and Embleton.

I realise I might be clutching at straws but there may be some hope in the annual turd polishing season.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
lew chaterleys lover
April 20, 2019, 3:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I expect that we have 60% of next season’s squad here already with room to replace Collins, Woolford, Mitch Rose, Welsh, Thomas and Hooper. Assuming Whitehouse gets fully fit, we could have 7 new/as new signings plus loan replacements for Grayson and Embleton.

I realise I might be clutching at straws but there may be some hope in the annual turd polishing season.

You talk as if having 60% of the squad here is a good thing! The squad has gone 10 games without a win, and has been in the opposition penalty box at least twice in that time...

I know what you mean though - hope springs eternal and all that but it is wearing very thin now.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
MuddyWaters
April 20, 2019, 3:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

You talk as if having 60% of the squad here is a good thing! The squad has gone 10 games without a win, and has been in the opposition penalty box at least twice in that time...

I know what you mean though - hope springs eternal and all that but it is wearing very thin now.

I’m guessing that there’s been a bit of cash saved so, to me, replacing 9 players with players good enough to start would help greatly. On the other hand, replacing them with squad players would be going round in the same old circles.
For me, Hendrie, Macca, Ohman, Hess, Vernam, Clifton and maybe Whitmore are decent enough and out of next year’s signed players, there’s a couple I would try to get rid of.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
Ipswin
April 20, 2019, 4:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

To be replaced with equally low grade players, sadly.

If we have not got the budget, there isn't a lot anybody can do.

It's not just a case of what players we can afford, if we had a £50M+ budget we wouldn't necessarily win matches if the manager was shite

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
lew chaterleys lover
April 20, 2019, 4:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m guessing that there’s been a bit of cash saved so, to me, replacing 9 players with players good enough to start would help greatly. On the other hand, replacing them with squad players would be going round in the same old circles.
For me, Hendrie, Macca, Ohman, Hess, Vernam, Clifton and maybe Whitmore are decent enough and out of next year’s signed players, there’s a couple I would try to get rid of.

They might be good enough to start OC, but are they as good as other clubs are signing?

Like everyone else I get excited with pre season signings - "Oh he looks a decent signing..." only to find that FGR or Salford or Colchester have actually signed better players. And so it goes on.

We have all lived in hope for years; it is actually beginning to dawn on me that I have been had - I must be thicker than I thought I was, and that wasn't a high bar.

We need some serious news coming out of BP soon or season ticket sales will be very low.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
Stew0_0
April 20, 2019, 6:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
Of the players regularly in the team, we'd surely be happy starting with macca, hendrie, ohman and hessenthaler so signing 9 or 10 strong players to add to that and have Clifton, Hall Johnson, Vernam, Davis, Ring, Rose and Max Wright challenging / in reserve then thats not a bad basis of a squad if we can get formation and tactics right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
HertsGTFC
April 20, 2019, 7:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
In principle we’ve got some half decent players at this level but we haven’t got the glue in midfield to supply the strikers we don’t have either.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
Bigdog
April 20, 2019, 8:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I can't see how we are going to improve the squad with 1k less season tickets sold. The board have never been speculate to accumulate and can't attract additional investment, so where's the money going to come from for "8 to 10 strong additions" or "6 or 7 improved starting eleven players"?

If nothing spectacular or drastic changes in the running of the club in the next few weeks, I really fear for us as a club. Our club is getting damaged season by season to the point of beyond repair by a totally unaware board and an owner who's in complete denial of his shortcomings in how to run a successful football club..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
HertsGTFC
April 20, 2019, 9:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog
I can't see how we are going to improve the squad with 1k less season tickets sold. The board have never been speculate to accumulate and can't attract additional investment, so where's the money going to come from for "8 to 10 strong additions" or "6 or 7 improved starting eleven players"?

If nothing spectacular or drastic changes in the running of the club in the next few weeks, I really fear for us as a club. Our club is getting damaged season by season to the point of beyond repair by a totally unaware board and an owner who's in complete denial of his shortcomings in how to run a successful football club..

Is there something your not telling us? “1K less season tickets sold”?

I doubt we’ll sell anything like 3,000 but I’m not sure you can say a drop be a 1,000?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
Bigdog
April 20, 2019, 9:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Is there something your not telling us? “1K less season tickets sold”?

I doubt we’ll sell anything like 3,000 but I’m not sure you can say a drop be a 1,000?

You may be right or may be optimistic, but even if it's a 500 drop, there's 150k less in the kitty yet JF said he's going to increase next season's budget, so where's the money going to come from? If it is a 1k drop, there'll be 300k less in the kitty and we had a low budget this season while balancing the books, but everyone's on about signing improvements. The question remains.. how are we going to attract better players to NE Lincs with less budget unless there's significant and wholesale change at the club that improves the status quo and sparks renewed interest. Rookie manager given thankless task, rinse repeat etc etc etc

Fans take for granted the availability of cash for playing budget as much as the board take season ticket purchases for granted.. the numbers won't add up next season unless there's a huge shake up or big news..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why??just why??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.