Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › MJ pre-Colchester interview
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 146 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 25.

MJ pre-Colchester interview

This thread currently has 4,506 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
April 19, 2019, 10:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
when he asked Dave Burns “I’m sorry what’s your name?” after the Wycombe game and followed it up with “Pirlos wasn’t available for selection today” personally I think it’s quite funny.

Yes, that's humour. Not at all comparable to getting arsey with the local media as in this case. I'm hoping MJ was just having an offday so no storms/teacups to see here but I have the right to remain vigilant and see if the next step in the erosion of our once great club is happening, a fresh faced manager full of ideas and vigour slowly worn down by the out of date, disrespectful and frankly cantankerous Fenty board.

More unnecessary and distracting crankiness for a dismayed and jaded fanbase to digest...
MJ has a plan and should be allowed to get on with it to be honest.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
HertsGTFC
April 19, 2019, 10:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from RoboCod
when he asked Dave Burns “I’m sorry what’s your name?” after the Wycombe game and followed it up with “Pirlos wasn’t available for selection today” personally I think it’s quite funny.

Yes, that's humour. Not at all comparable to getting arsey with the local media as in this case. I'm hoping MJ was just having an offday so no storms/teacups to see here but I have the right to remain vigilant and see if the next step in the erosion of our once great club is happening, a fresh faced manager full of ideas and vigour slowly worn down by the out of date, disrespectful and frankly cantankerous Fenty board.

More unnecessary and distracting crankiness for a dismayed and jaded fanbase to digest...
MJ has a plan and should be allowed to get on with it to be honest.

Almost as cranky as “once great club” quotes.....

I seem to remember driving away from the Wycombe game last season listening to the Dave Burns interview with the impression MJ wasn’t being humorous but it was alright then wasn’t it as we didn’t expect anything?

I guess as the season winds down the conspiracy theorists ramp up their efforts.

Matt Dean has a really interesting interviewing style in that when he asks a question and doesn’t get the answer he tries to rephrase the question which is a bit patronising to the person being interviewed TBH. He also as MJ points out asks the same questions week in week out.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
April 19, 2019, 11:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
It's obvious the manager has hit the same brick wall that many other managers before him (and some players come to that).

The club is light years behind the rest of football in the 21st century, but a manager eager to make his way in the game would see a club with our tradition and history as a great first step, but then they come up against the immovable object of John Fenty and his "board."

We have no ambition, no plan, no investment and are basically stuck in a time warp unable to go forward. I feel for the manager, but the greater tragedy is that the board cannot even see that they are to blame for the clubs stagnation. They probably feel they are doing a good job. Laughable.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
wigworld
April 19, 2019, 12:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

We either need a "football fortune" or a board who know how to grow a business.

Something like a recent promotion, or sale of a striker to a championship club, maybe?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 29
devs
April 19, 2019, 1:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
Lew Chaterley's Lover is spot on - couldn't agree more
We are run like a 1970s fifedom - I'm of an age when I can remember people like Bob Lord at Burnley; ruling the roost  for the sake of 'ruling the roost' and seemingly oblivious to changes in the game etc

99% of success these days (and perhaps it's always been the case) is built upon investment, a bit of luck (Lincoln spring to mind with Cowleys being appointed and 'once-in-a- century' FA Cup run) and good management on and off the pitch... you have to keep moving forward and adapting to changes in the game

I think GTFC managers are under extra pressure - a large section of the supporters remember the 'glory days' under Buckley (Forest have same issue with legacy of Cloughie) and struggle to accept where we are now

Which is an under-funded club (in terms of being able to seriously compete), in a deprived area (hard to attract quality players - as confirmed to me by a leading light in the Mariners Trust), no sign of a new stadium, and a board with a very insular and old-fashioned attitude.

Unless we unearth a few gems in the summer window I cannot reasonably see how we can expect to be anything much better than mid-table for the foreseeable future - although like all fans I remain hopeful and optimistic
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
MuddyWaters
April 19, 2019, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
I don’t see it as being out of order for Matt Dean to ask awkward questions. I often wish JT were more direct after games.

Similarly, in terms of achievement, I think it’s ok to ask about where we do stand compared to budget. If the limits of the budget is to be a mid table League 2 club then patience will run very thin...I remember Mr Day professing Championship football in 5 years and that was over a year ago!
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
April 19, 2019, 1:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I don’t see it as being out of order for Matt Dean to ask awkward questions. I often wish JT were more direct after games.

Similarly, in terms of achievement, I think it’s ok to ask about where we do stand compared to budget. If the limits of the budget is to be a mid table League 2 club then patience will run very thin...I remember Mr Day professing Championship football in 5 years and that was over a year ago!

What Mr Day said is a perfect example, if any were needed, how the board members are completely detached from reality. Not just a bit adrift, but oceans apart.

There is not one shred of evidence to support the claim he made that day. He may well have said we will win the Champions League in a few years; it is difficult to comprehend a board member saying anything like he did, after nearly two decades of being in League 2 and non league and not even making a success of that.

It is beyond reasoning he would say such an idiotic thing, when he himself has done absolutely nothing, ever, to get us one inch closer to any success whatsoever, despite being at our lowest ebb.

We cannot organise ball boys or turnstile operators or a permanent sound system; perhaps Mr Day will come on here and tell us in his own words how we can go from that to have the serious investment of millions of pounds to even get to the upper reaches of league 2?  

It is beyond bizarre what has happened to GTFC. We will never progress until the current board are gone.  
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
April 19, 2019, 4:50pm
Guest User
Quoted from Gaffer58

Radio Humberside are a media/entertainment/ media company so it is their job to report on news, if when a Jolley worked in the city earning his millions and he Financial Times new about a takeover but didn't report it would he have been happy with them?

Jolley was never earning 'millions' doubt he was earning six figures either...
Reply: 27 - 29
MuddyWaters
April 19, 2019, 4:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 139847

Jolley was never earning 'millions' doubt he was earning six figures either...

He’ll soon be earning eff all 😡
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
MuddyWaters
April 19, 2019, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Well the post match interview wasn’t any more exciting. How much difference is there between last season and this, what’s going on?
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › MJ pre-Colchester interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.