Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › MJ pre-Colchester interview
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 289 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 18.

MJ pre-Colchester interview

This thread currently has 4,544 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
April 18, 2019, 10:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
On the BBC app, the headline states “I’m not frustrated at all” but the content has frustration running right through it. He needs and wants a bigger pot of money to make a success of GTFC and I sense he now realises what frustrates the fans as well as previous incumbents. He is just the latest in a long line of managers who will not be able to achieve what they want.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
moosey_club
April 18, 2019, 10:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
If the interviewer was Matt Dean then i dont blame Jolley for getting drunk off...he irritates the fck out of me with his style of interviewing, very quick to fire in questions mid way through an answer and tends to reword a question several times in the same interview...always looking to trip up his subject IMO.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
Swansea_Mariner
April 18, 2019, 11:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
He's cut off at the knees and he knows it. Thing is I don't think he has any choice but to plow on after leaving his last job who would give him a third crack at management with no discernible achievement.

The club should back him for fecks sake, this is now the third manager in three years who has intermated that we don't have the required back room infrastructure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
KingstonMariner
April 18, 2019, 11:27pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
He's cut off at the knees and he knows it. Thing is I don't think he has any choice but to plow on after leaving his last job who would give him a third crack at management with no discernible achievement.

The club should back him for fecks sake, this is now the third manager in three years who has intermated that we don't have the required back room infrastructure.

This.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
chaos33
April 19, 2019, 7:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Absolutely agree

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
TheRealJohnLewis
April 19, 2019, 8:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Catch 22 situation, without forward-thinking business acumen from the board, the budget will not grow and remain as it is.  The only other option is for JF not to take his annual £200k out of the club and pump more money in. We then becomes less sustainable and less likely to get rid of JF.

We either need a "football fortune" or a board who know how to grow a business.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
MuddyWaters
April 19, 2019, 8:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Catch 22 situation, without forward-thinking business acumen from the board, the budget will not grow and remain as it is.  The only other option is for JF not to take his annual £200k out of the club and pump more money in. We then becomes less sustainable and less likely to get rid of JF.

We either need a "football fortune" or a board who know how to grow a business.

Whilst I totally agree, this isn’t new, is it? Even John Fenty has said we are looking for football fortune, well I think he should have worked out by now that it doesn’t grow on trees.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
HackneyHaddock
April 19, 2019, 9:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
I feel sorry for him.  He's doing the best with limited resources and a club organisation that isn't very commercially-minded or fit for purpose.

That said, and even though we're on a bad run at the moment, we really do need to support him.  He's a young manager in his first full season managing a club.  It's a different skill set to just coaching players and teams within a wider structure, and though he managed in Sweden (part of a season) and had a ten game blitz with us last season, he's still getting used to things like managing and balancing a squad, conducting a transfer window and thinking about the next one, dealing with media, managing supporter expectations, working with a domineering Chairman, facing criticism, dealing with difficult and disruptive players.  All of this on top of being frustrated at not finding a working combination of players and formation.

So he is frustrated and he will make mistakes, but I still think he has the right stuff to take us on and needs our support.  He's bringing youth players through and will continue to do so.  We've had a couple of good runs and have a decent core of a squad.  We've not been in danger of relegation and even up to February were in touch with the playoffs.

The worrying part is that it sounds like he's again being denied the support staff he needs and that facilities and location are proving a barrier to recruitment.  The club need to take a serious look at how we mitigate these factors or we'll always struggle.  I liked Jolley's insistence that players live in the area but surely if we're missing out on some people who don't want to uproot their families we need to have a workable solution that allows them to live further afield and maybe spend Wednesday to Saturday in Grimsby.  Let's give him what he needs in terms of equipment and backroom support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
HertsGTFC
April 19, 2019, 10:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
A thread about a storm in a tea cup...... posts above from Mariner 91 & Hackney Haddock are bang on for me.

MJ is a young manager making mistakes and learning his trade at a club with minimal resource, what do people inc the media expect? Much more experienced managers are equally as frank and make numerous mistakes throughout the season.

Remember MJs got a bit of form from last season like when he asked Dave Burns “I’m sorry what’s your name?” after the Wycombe game and followed it up with “Pirlos wasn’t available for selection today” personally I think it’s quite funny.

Over this season he’s done a decent job on the whole e.g. trying to build a squad that’s not completely based upon 1 year journeymen and has a mix of longer term deals and youngsters coming through. A job that’s been done like many clubs in the lower part of L2 on a tight budget.

I just hope he never cups his ear..... that will send many of the doom mongers completely into overload.

It feels like the same old people are getting on the managers back because we’re not playing champagne football or after nearly going down last year in contention for promotion over Easter.

MJ has a plan and should be allowed to get on with it to be honest.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 19, 2019, 10:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
I feel sorry for him.  He's doing the best with limited resources and a club organisation that isn't very commercially-minded or fit for purpose.

That said, and even though we're on a bad run at the moment, we really do need to support him.  He's a young manager in his first full season managing a club.  It's a different skill set to just coaching players and teams within a wider structure, and though he managed in Sweden (part of a season) and had a ten game blitz with us last season, he's still getting used to things like managing and balancing a squad, conducting a transfer window and thinking about the next one, dealing with media, managing supporter expectations, working with a domineering Chairman, facing criticism, dealing with difficult and disruptive players.  All of this on top of being frustrated at not finding a working combination of players and formation.

So he is frustrated and he will make mistakes, but I still think he has the right stuff to take us on and needs our support.  He's bringing youth players through and will continue to do so.  We've had a couple of good runs and have a decent core of a squad.  We've not been in danger of relegation and even up to February were in touch with the playoffs.

The worrying part is that it sounds like he's again being denied the support staff he needs and that facilities and location are proving a barrier to recruitment.  The club need to take a serious look at how we mitigate these factors or we'll always struggle.  I liked Jolley's insistence that players live in the area but surely if we're missing out on some people who don't want to uproot their families we need to have a workable solution that allows them to live further afield and maybe spend Wednesday to Saturday in Grimsby.  Let's give him what he needs in terms of equipment and backroom support.

I can understand his frustrations but I do not feel sorry for him. Here is a bloke who has mapped out his career very carefully and will have done his homework before coming to this job. Everyone and his dog knows that Hurst left because of budget and the only players Bignot and Slade could get were cheap or loanees. So he knew full well what Fenty’s position is when it comes to funding. While he was doing OK it was OK. But once the cracks began to show in the side it was not OK so he feels miffed. Understandable ....... but he ain’t the only manager to feel like that.

Personally I do not think he is a great manager. He could be an asset to a club, including Town in this, as a Football Director in overall control of that side of a club like Huddersfield and Norwich have done with Stuart Webber, working with a head coach who knows more about actual football game play and team building.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › MJ pre-Colchester interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.