1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
April 15, 2019, 1:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Begging bowl time fellow Fishies…. I'm already expecting a few of these x just for asking but I was wondering if anyone fancies sponsoring me while I undertake a sponsored swim on behalf of Diabetes UK.

I'm already well in to it but there's another month or so to go before the "event" ends so if you have a quid or two doing nothing, it would be most welcome to help me achieve my goal  

My JustGiving details are in this link....

https://www.justgiving.com/fun.....p;utm_term=VE3KyAMwY

Btw I'm not in to hard-selling... I know everyone has their own charities they support so respect this might not be of any interest, but if you know of anyone who suffers from diabetes, I'm trying to do my own little bit to help them, so maybe in a roundabout way, you could do that too?

Thanks in advance... every little helps as they keep saying at Tesco  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
KingstonMariner
April 23, 2019, 1:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Done. Good cause.

I nearly spat my tea out when I saw it was 22 miles. Then I saw the date range!  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
FishOutOfWater
April 23, 2019, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Done. Good cause.

I nearly spat my tea out when I saw it was 22 miles. Then I saw the date range!  

Many thanks KM! Much appreciated...

Some of the stories I've read from fellow participants are both inspiring and tragic - I just thought I could help out in some small way and give something like this a go for once

As for the timescale, even though the town has it's own inspiration in Brenda Fisher having swum the Channel in just 12 hours, I decided I'd like to do it a more leisurely 12 sessions or more!  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 8
KingstonMariner
April 23, 2019, 6:40pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Many thanks KM! Much appreciated...

Some of the stories I've read from fellow participants are both inspiring and tragic - I just thought I could help out in some small way and give something like this a go for once

As for the timescale, even though the town has it's own inspiration in Brenda Fisher having swum the Channel in just 12 hours, I decided I'd like to do it a more leisurely 12 sessions or more!  

Got two members of the family one with Type II and one (in-law) with Type I (diagnosed late in life!).

12 sessions is still good going. Where are you doing it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
FishOutOfWater
April 24, 2019, 1:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Got two members of the family one with Type II and one (in-law) with Type I (diagnosed late in life!).

12 sessions is still good going. Where are you doing it?

It was actually more than 12 sessions KM... more  about 18 ( but most of those restricted to an hour.... if I had longer I could have hit 12    )

I don't have any family with diabetes but have a couple of friends with Type II and a workmate's lad has Type 1 ( diagnosed at 5 years of age )

Knowing their regimes and how it impacts on their lives, I just thought that something I was doing anyway ( started swimming after the ex Mrs left me ) might be able to help out if only in a small way

I go to the local pool ( Goole ) 3 times a week but I'll be going for another session a week if I can because if my calculations are correct I can do the 22 miles out and another 22 miles back before the deadline in four weeks time.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 8
KingstonMariner
April 25, 2019, 12:06am
Meths Drinker
Cool. The pool in Goole.

Swimming is great exercise FOOW (by the way you should change your name to Fish IN Water now surely?). I find it helps me mentally and physically. And it isn't hard on the joints like running. I use an open air pool all year round (heated!) which adds to the pleasure for me. Usually only 20-30 mins in the pool, but when I have the luxuary of time I'll do longer, with an interval in the sauna.

Got me thinking about that annual swim in Alexandra dock in the Summer. Might get round to it this year.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
FishOutOfWater
April 25, 2019, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Cool. The pool in Goole.

Swimming is great exercise FOOW (by the way you should change your name to Fish IN Water now surely?). I find it helps me mentally and physically. And it isn't hard on the joints like running. I use an open air pool all year round (heated!) which adds to the pleasure for me. Usually only 20-30 mins in the pool, but when I have the luxuary of time I'll do longer, with an interval in the sauna.

Got me thinking about that annual swim in Alexandra dock in the Summer. Might get round to it this year.

Ha Ha - Flounder in Water when I'm struggling maybe!  

As for Goole pool, it's probably about as attractive as the Alexandra Dock KM    

You're right about the benefits of swimming.... the downside of it all though is I'm usually ravenous when I get back so finding I'm putting weight on with this regime instead of losing any

Maybe Shamu as a user name might be more appropriate going forward  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 8
KingstonMariner
April 25, 2019, 3:37pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Ha Ha - Flounder in Water when I'm struggling maybe!  

As for Goole pool, it's probably about as attractive as the Alexandra Dock KM    

You're right about the benefits of swimming.... the downside of it all though is I'm usually ravenous when I get back so finding I'm putting weight on with this regime instead of losing any

Maybe Shamu as a user name might be more appropriate going forward  

Yeah, I found that out a few years back! I learnt the hard way that the only way to lose weight is to eat less. Exercising more meant more food. Though I do con myself that muscle is denser than fat  

I find eating something protein rich, while keeping a cap on the carbs, helps a lot. If I'm trying to lose weight and exercising more, I snack on tinned tuna or pilchards.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
FishOutOfWater
May 19, 2019, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Unashamedly bumping this up 😉

I’m about to finish this “Channel” challenge today if I get my final mile in later this evening

That’ll mean I’ve done 22 miles out and 22 miles back since I started off a couple of months back

I’d like to thank those people off here who have sponsored me  - it’s much appreciated. If anyone else can find a few quid to be spare for this worthy cause that would be great

https://www.justgiving.com/fun.....p;utm_term=VE3KyAMwY

As an aside, one of my friends who I had in mind as a diabetes sufferer had a heart attack last week and ended up in Castle Hill. He’s home again now fortunately but it makes me appreciate that my efforts are going some way to helping out the likes of him and many others too

Anyway my “Sunday sermon” is over...thanks for listening 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sponsored Swim

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.