2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
April 15, 2019, 10:29am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
The only game I'm looking forward to as our season drifts away aimlessly is the trip to Notts County. Least there should be a good atmosphere there, though maybe not for the right reasons...Here's how the Nottingham Post defined us in a preview:
"The Magpies have struggled to put away a number of League Two's formidable sides this season, and in their final five games can expect to face three more, with Grimsby, Crawley and Swindon Town all infamously heavy handed with their playing style." ?!
https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/notts-county-ready-physical-says-2751274

Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
April 15, 2019, 11:06am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,539
Gold Stars: 224
The only game I'm looking forward to as our season drifts away aimlessly is the trip to Notts County. Least there should be a good atmosphere there, though maybe not for the right reasons...Here's how the Nottingham Post defined us in a preview:
"The Magpies have struggled to put away a number of League Two's formidable sides this season, and in their final five games can expect to face three more, with Grimsby, Crawley and Swindon Town all infamously heavy handed with their playing style." ?!
https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/notts-county-ready-physical-says-2751274

What a load of ball hooks...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
NorthseaMariner
April 15, 2019, 11:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,515
Gold Stars: 11
I suppose you could say we’ve had a fair few given straight reds. Dunno, that’s all I can suggest. But hey-ho, who cares anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
moosey_club
April 15, 2019, 2:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,200
Gold Stars: 224
Yes..the opposition always have their next team meeting in A&E following a game with us....Akinde had to have a plaster on his elbow recently when Ohman attacked it with his nose.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
arryarryarry
April 15, 2019, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
I will be there waving bye bye to Notts opprobrious.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
arryarryarry
April 15, 2019, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from arryarryarry
I will be there waving bye bye to Notts County.

Sorry County.

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
GollyGTFC
April 17, 2019, 9:10am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
We are tied with Sunderland for most straight red cards in league matches in the top 4 divisions on 7. And our total red card count of 8 is only beaten by Stevenage on 9 (4 second yellows & 5 straight reds).

If you include all first teams games we are tied on 9 red cards with Stevenage. To put that in context in the 92 there is one team without a single red card this season (Chelsea) and another 16 teams who have received just 1 red card in all competition this season.

Quite frankly, we do have a reputation and it's fully deserved.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 15
Son of Cod
April 17, 2019, 10:01am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We are tied with Sunderland for most straight red cards in league matches in the top 4 divisions on 7. And our total red card count of 8 is only beaten by Stevenage on 9 (4 second yellows & 5 straight reds).

If you include all first teams games we are tied on 9 red cards with Stevenage. To put that in context in the 92 there is one team without a single red card this season (Chelsea) and another 16 teams who have received just 1 red card in all competition this season.

Quite frankly, we do have a reputation and it's fully deserved.

We're not really consistently dirty though are we? It's just that we have a fair few players who will lunge in a bit too often. There are teams that get away with a hell of a lot more than us in League 2 from what I've seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Maringer
April 17, 2019, 11:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,402
Gold Stars: 184
There is a difference between being a dirty side and one which picks up lots of stupid (and even at times unfortunate) red cards. I'm thinking the Thomas red card for a start, which was just preposterous. McKeown was unlucky to get a red at Lincoln, Collins shouldn't have been sent off at Northampton, Davis was also unlucky as he wasn't last man (although his was for a stupid, cynical foul). Others were for slightly mistimed or clumsy challenges.

One thing we are certainly not is 'heavy handed'. We don't have a nasty player who goes out to leave something on the opposition in the whole squad. In fact, I can't remember us having this type of a player for years.

Still, you can't expect proper research from a hack at a local newspaper. Easy to check the disciplinary charts and say what you like when you're working to a deadline.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
Mrs Doyle
April 17, 2019, 11:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Let them think that we are. No pressure on us we can play some football. If anything it will be them that will be trying anything they can legal or otherwise. They could have everything to lose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › "Infamously heavy handed" GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.