Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are we like Morcambe? Yeovil? Macclesfield?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 142 Guests

Are we like Morcambe? Yeovil? Macclesfield?

This thread currently has 5,431 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
fishboyUTM
April 14, 2019, 11:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
For me, towards my mid forties I still think of Grimsby Town as a good club, a club I grew up watching mostly in the second tier. Visits to the third tier were always brief, one way or another and the fourth tier very rare and we pretty much got straight back out and up again.

Obviously, the last 17/18 years have been horrific in my eyes with the majority spent in the fourth tier, and for me, incredibly six season out of the football league. Pretty much all under the reign of statistically the worst owner we have ever had.

My question is, after reading some comments on social media about our standing in the football world, are we now a similar club to the likes of Morcambe, Yeovil or Macclesfield?
Logged Offline
Private Message
golfer
April 14, 2019, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
What other owner have we had ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
fishboyUTM
April 14, 2019, 11:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from golfer

Quite a lot since 1878. But only one has taken us to such depths.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
Marinerz93
April 14, 2019, 11:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from fishboyUTM
For me, towards my mid forties I still think of Grimsby Town as a good club, a club I grew up watching mostly in the second tier. Visits to the third tier were always brief, one way or another and the fourth tier very rare and we pretty much got straight back out and up again.

Obviously, the last 17/18 years have been horrific in my eyes with the majority spent in the fourth tier, and for me, incredibly six season out of the football league. Pretty much all under the reign of statisitcally the worst owner we have ever had.

My question is, after reading some comments on social media about our standing in the football world, are we now a similar club to the likes of Morcambe, Yeovil or Macclesfield?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/nBwHGzP.gif[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Bm4AHtV.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 14, 2019, 11:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer

Someone may correct me on this but I think the first time the club had truly consolidated ownership in one place was in the Ramsden days. Prior to that the shareholdings may have been big or small but they were not in the hands of one person even in the days of FA Would and Arthur Drewery.

Oddly enough, the reason Bill Shankly gave for leaving the club in the mid-50s was lack of ambition by the board and unwillingness to give him the money for good players. Nothing new there then.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
KingstonMariner
April 14, 2019, 12:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Someone may correct me on this but I think the first time the club had truly consolidated ownership in one place was in the Ramsden days. Prior to that the shareholdings may have been big or small but they were not in the hands of one person even in the days of FA Would and Arthur Drewery.

Oddly enough, the reason Bill Shankly gave for leaving the club in the mid-50s was lack of ambition by the board and unwillingness to give him the money for good players. Nothing new there then.

Historical perspective is good. But that's only half the picture, as I'm sure you'll know Ron. In Shankly's time we were in the third division having recently been in the first - after the most successful era in our history.

Recent years have been the worst. We've never been as low down in the leagues as we were in the Conference, i.e. 5th flight. The previous time we were in Non-League there were only TWO divisions in the Football League so going out meant we were in the 3rd flight.  We were in the 5th tier for 6 years. Previously it'd only been 1. Either side of that last Non-League spell we've had NINE seasons in the bottom division of the FL.

We have only challenged for promotion once in those nine years. In that time we've had at least 3 seasons of fighting relegation from the 4th tier - we only survived the first because of Luton's massive points deduction.

Now I for one don't advocate spending money that we haven't got. But you've got to ask why we haven't got a lot of money. Years of moribund management, wasted money pursuing pipedreams of new stadia (what was it, £700k? written off in abortive fees on Great Coates which clearly wasn't going to happen when out of town retail died), failure to exploit the Op.P feelgood factor, alienation of fans and other potential investors, managerial merry-go-rounds.

So in answer to the original post, yes we are on a par with Yeovil. Mid-lower 4th division clubs for whom a tilt at promotion to the 3rd would represent success. That's the stature of club that we have become under John Fenty's control.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
RoboCod
April 14, 2019, 12:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
It's times like this that the only great thing about the club seems to be the fans. Shamefully that mostly accounts for nothing on the field of play, we've been witnessing Town capitulating to teams who have a following in the mere dozens for years now. Fortress BP is a hazy memory.

So yes as we scrap it out at the bottom end of League 2 again, as a club and a team in terms of success we're currently no better than Yeovil, a club who don't even have a message board.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 14, 2019, 1:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Historical perspective is good. But that's only half the picture, as I'm sure you'll know Ron. In Shankly's time we were in the third division having recently been in the first - after the most successful era in our history.

Recent years have been the worst. We've never been as low down in the leagues as we were in the Conference, i.e. 5th flight. The previous time we were in Non-League there were only TWO divisions in the Football League so going out meant we were in the 3rd flight.  We were in the 5th tier for 6 years. Previously it'd only been 1. Either side of that last Non-League spell we've had NINE seasons in the bottom division of the FL.

We have only challenged for promotion once in those nine years. In that time we've had at least 3 seasons of fighting relegation from the 4th tier - we only survived the first because of Luton's massive points deduction.

Now I for one don't advocate spending money that we haven't got. But you've got to ask why we haven't got a lot of money. Years of moribund management, wasted money pursuing pipedreams of new stadia (what was it, £700k? written off in abortive fees on Great Coates which clearly wasn't going to happen when out of town retail died), failure to exploit the Op.P feelgood factor, alienation of fans and other potential investors, managerial merry-go-rounds.

So in answer to the original post, yes we are on a par with Yeovil. Mid-lower 4th division clubs for whom a tilt at promotion to the 3rd would represent success. That's the stature of club that we have become under John Fenty's control.

I agree Kingston, I was just answering the question about ownership.

The Ramsden days are the only ones when I can remember the owners making positive steps to invest in the team with a view to building something worthwhile ie top division. The day that struck me as significant was when we had Drinkell, Ford and Wilkinson and Lund upcoming and we signed Kevin Kilmore. When you sign someone everyone rates but you could live without in that season, then that was real future investment.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
lee65
April 14, 2019, 1:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
This may be a bit simplistic, and I’m sure someone will point out some exceptions, but through my 40 years of watching we are basically operating in the same way we always have.

Crowd numbers play a big part in our finance, with the odd bonus from a cup run or a little bit of TV money, and maybe (though not so often these days) the sale of players for profit.

To me it’s the rest of the world that’s moved on, with a number of changes that we’ve never benefited from;
- Because of massive TV money in the top (2) divisions the gap has widened to unprecedented levels
- Foreign ownership and associated bottomless levels of finance was unknown 40 years ago
- Non League teams (like Salford for example) didn’t attract mega money backing to enable them to buy their way up the League

With good management and prudent ownership plus a bit of luck (big cup draws etc.) I believe we could and should be able to be sustainable as a decent League 1 club.
We may get the odd dalliance with the Championship, but to maintain this would mean some massive change in our financial make up, and that seems a little unlikely in the short to medium term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
chrissy
April 14, 2019, 2:09pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Approval: +563
At the moment we have lost 6 more than we have won so I would be happy next season if we go into the last 4 games winning 6 more than we had lost.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are we like Morcambe? Yeovil? Macclesfield?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.