Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
From the kitchen..

Watched it online, and we are not a bad team, just missing a few links

Collins instantly shot down when the team sheet was announced... solid

Hendrie solid

Woolford pinged the ball lovely

Hess... still waiting for him to have a bad game

Ring, hate to say this, but he hasn't settled very well and seems to be all over the place.

Never a pen, but should never of had to have a decision to make as ring should of dealt with it

Vernam did well first half, they struggled with him cutting in.
He gets put up front, which I've been screaming for, and he scores...

Cardwell did well, won his headers, held it up well.

I think the game plan was to hit it to cardwell and work off him, as they didn't get near him so was technically working, but we didn't seem to cut any clear chances
We couldn't play the football people think we should be playing every week as the pitch was far too bobbly and wouldn't of worked

MJ got instantly slated for his double sub, but for me, it's what we needed... why do like for like swaps with the youngsters like so many wanted? We changed shape, and it paid off within a few mins

All in all, we've got a base to build on, but are still a good 4-5 starting player's off being where we want to be
Logged Offline
Private Message
sonofmadeleymariner
April 13, 2019, 5:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
From the kitchen..

Watched it online, and we are not a bad team, just missing a few links

Collins instantly shot down when the team sheet was announced... solid

Hendrie solid

Woolford pinged the ball lovely

Hess... still waiting for him to have a bad game

Ring, hate to say this, but he hasn't settled very well and seems to be all over the place.

Never a pen, but should never of had to have a decision to make as ring should of dealt with it

Vernam did well first half, they struggled with him cutting in.
He gets put up front, which I've been screaming for, and he scores...

Cardwell did well, won his headers, held it up well.

I think the game plan was to hit it to cardwell and work off him, as they didn't get near him so was technically working, but we didn't seem to cut any clear chances
We couldn't play the football people think we should be playing every week as the pitch was far too bobbly and wouldn't of worked

MJ got instantly slated for his double sub, but for me, it's what we needed... why do like for like swaps with the youngsters like so many wanted? We changed shape, and it paid off within a few mins

All in all, we've got a base to build on, but are still a good 4-5 starting player's off being where we want to be

I would agree except for the Collins remark, all our troubles came through him and Ring today. He had a better game then last week but he's still a part of the weak link in our defence.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
FishOutOfWater
April 13, 2019, 6:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
On the train on the way back

Not too bad a performance but I thought we were going to blow it when they got the pen

Credit to the Town though... a nice bit of football on the deck with Dennis the provider to allow Vernam to equalise

We deserved a point overall so came away feeling it hadn’t been too bad an afternoon

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 32
Gaffer58
April 13, 2019, 6:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Ok, we played decently, but it was against Morcombe, we are not creating anything, one of the reasons we don't score, plus our attack needs 4/5 chances to score one. If we were playing one of the top 6 sides would we have looked as good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
forza ivano
April 13, 2019, 6:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,133
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Gaffer58
Ok, we played decently, but it was against Morcombe, we are not creating anything, one of the reasons we don't score, plus our attack needs 4/5 chances to score one. If we were playing one of the top 6 sides would we have looked as good.

That's not exactly true tho is it? In fact most of the best performances this season have been against the top teams.more than honourable draws with Lincoln exeyer bury n mk plus victories v mk exeter and tranmere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
hheh2
April 13, 2019, 6:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
We are obviously a few signings away from where we want to be but with the freeing of the wage bill recently maybe MJ is already planning ahead.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
ginnywings
April 13, 2019, 6:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Gaffer58

Morecambe have recently beaten 2 top 6 sides at home, so they are no pushover. Decent point in the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 32
oochiad
April 13, 2019, 6:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
I went and we played well and it would of been unjust if we hadn’t got the equaliser. My only complaints are Ring and I know he won lots of headers but he can not do anything with his feet, Cardwell. We need much better but we all know that. Collins solid today. Plenty to be happy with as our squad builds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
oochiad
April 13, 2019, 7:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
We did create today just our front pair couldn’t get anything right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
Teestogreen
April 13, 2019, 8:01pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
My expectations were low for this game, so I came away quite happy that the players showed commitment and sometimes some skill and got something out of a game, that they didn't deserve to lose.

I was a long way from the penalty decision, but it looked to me that McKeown was first to the ball. Also, the referee did not see this incident as I could see he was he was well behind play and had to move to his left to get a retrospective view, but decided 'blind' to give it.

Having gone behind, I did think it strange to bring on 2 sub defenders, but Town did get a deserved reward with a really good move down the right with Clifton and Dennis combining, and Vernam (my man of the match before he scored) scoring a goal.

So:

McKeown - didn't really have a shot to save (apart from the penalty) - but was 'dodgy' at coming out to through balls, which were a lottery in terms of where he was kicking it.

Hendrie - played well

Ring - made mistakes but also did some good play

Hessenthaler -  generally got about the pitch - won some lost some - in terms of tackling - but distribution ok

Davis - solid performance

Collins - solid performance

Dennis - thought he worked hard and looked a player. Got the impression that he and Vernam could be a useful combination

Cardwell -  a tryer - sometimes his lack of pace showed - didn't win as much in the air as he should - and his control of the football wasn't up to standard at times.

Grayson - in and out the game - need to see him play again

Vernam - looked a threat coming in from the right and tested the Morecambe keeper on more than one occasion. When Cardwell went off, he went central and this looked good with Clifton on.

Woolford - did some good things but his right foot reminds me of Norman Hunter

Conclusion: if Town had have lost this game, it would have been a travesty, as Morecambe did not create one goal chance.

Town have some good players: - now we're mathematically safe - would be good to see those younger subs (kicking the ball around at half time) getting an opportunity.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.