Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Officially Safe!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 215 Guests

Officially Safe!

This thread currently has 10,696 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Badger57
April 13, 2019, 5:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
And breathe! 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
billynomates
April 13, 2019, 5:10pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -14
With a club our size we should have been safe around the end of January,but yet again the players are not performing the way they should.Relieved we have hit the 50 point mark, but we shouldn't let our guard down.We need to improve and fast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 75
hampshiremariner
April 13, 2019, 5:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
Thank goodness. Yeovil and Notts can only get a max of 49 points. Town’s recent form has been nerve wracking, but we are used to it after the last decade or more. I always think of the stick Gallie used to get. Little did we realise they were halcyon days and none of us should have moshed when we had players such as Groves, Jack and Livvo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 75
Cambs Mariner
April 13, 2019, 5:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Quoted from billynomates
With a club our size we should have been safe around the end of January,but yet again the players are not performing the way they should.Relieved we have hit the 50 point mark, but we shouldn't let our guard down.We need to improve and fast.

A club our size? We have been playing League 2 and Non League football since 2003.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 75
sonofmadeleymariner
April 13, 2019, 5:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Cambs Mariner

A club our size? We have been playing League 2 and Non League football since 2003.

Was thinking the same. We've got to stop living on past glories, some fans are starting to sound like Liverpool fans 😂

I don't mind Roy Keane making ÂŁ60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 75
MuddyWaters
April 13, 2019, 5:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Meanwhile 30 miles down the road, the club that built on momentum from a promotion go up again. Through gritted teeth, congratulations to the Gimps
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 75
jamesgtfc
April 13, 2019, 5:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Meanwhile 30 miles down the road, the club that built on momentum from a promotion go up again. Through gritted teeth, congratulations to the Gimps

Meanwhile 30 miles in the other direction the club that sacked their manager whilst in the top 6 last season are currently 1 point off the bottom 4. Always thought the sacking of Alexander was an odd one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 75
HertsGTFC
April 13, 2019, 5:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Their momentum was building before they got promoted.

I sometimes look at Lincoln and think their supporters where delighted to get promoted from the NL while many of ours thought it was a divine right!

As we know it’s an issue with leadership from the very top........ or lack of!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 75
H19P1
April 13, 2019, 5:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +710
Does 50 points mean a take over?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 75
rancido
April 13, 2019, 5:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,531
Gold Stars: 96

Was thinking the same. We've got to stop living on past glories, some fans are starting to sound like Liverpool fans 😂

Sad to say but a few posters on here have the "Billy Big Boll*x" attitude to the club and it's position in the FL.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 75
HertsGTFC
April 13, 2019, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from rancido

Sad to say but a few posters on here have the "Billy Big Boll*x" attitude to the club and it's position in the FL.

I’ve seen the term “once great club” used a few times which I find entertaining.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 75
Marinerz93
April 13, 2019, 6:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
does this mean our glorious and supreme commander is stepping down.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/BATZELa.gif[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/y842a8D.gif[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/u3JnIdE.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 75
Kris2
April 13, 2019, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136

Unfortunately some people still seem to be stuck in the 70's and 80's or reliving the double Wembley visits.

People need to live in the here and now, time to face up to the reality of what the club is and stop acting like we are some massive club punching below our weight. In the last 15 years our best league finishing position was finishing 4th in League Two and in the last 10 it was finishing 14th in League Two. We'd be lucky to make the playoffs right now I think if we finish in the top half of the table as a mediocre League Two club we'd be making progress.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 75
MuddyWaters
April 13, 2019, 6:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

Unfortunately some people still seem to be stuck in the 70's and 80's or reliving the double Wembley visits.

People need to live in the here and now, time to face up to the reality of what the club is and stop acting like we are some massive club punching below our weight. In the last 15 years our best league finishing position was finishing 4th in League Two and in the last 10 it was finishing 14th in League Two. We'd be lucky to make the playoffs right now I think if we finish in the top half of the table as a mediocre League Two club we'd be making progress.

Oh yes, the last 15 years have been a blast. Our best year in that time was when we were managed by Slade...just about says it all.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 75
RoboCod
April 13, 2019, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505

Top of the league Liverpool, currently returning to their past glories? - while Town proudly avoid relegation to the Conference for the 2nd season?

Our glories look set to remain in the past, comparisons to other clubs do us no favours and can't conceal the truth.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 75
chaos33
April 13, 2019, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,869
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from rancido

They're no more Billy Big Boll*x than you are Sammy small time.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 75
Nelly GTFC
April 13, 2019, 11:36pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 31
Unless there's some miracle, Bradford City look certain for the drop - rooted to the bottom and lost 8 out of thier last 9 games, they should sell out the away end next season.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 75
rancido
April 14, 2019, 6:55am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

They're no more Billy Big Boll*x than you are Sammy small time.

The ultimate oxymoron. I'm a realist and a pragmatist. I want the best for our club but also realise what little affect I can have on it's progress except for attending matches and knowing that things will improve.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 75
MuddyWaters
April 14, 2019, 7:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

The ultimate oxymoron. I'm a realist and a pragmatist. I want the best for our club but also realise what little affect I can have on it's progress except for attending matches and knowing that things will improve.

Knowing things will improve? What basis do you have to be optimistic? Our club is so neanderthal, we’re even replacing floodlights that were secondhand in the first place.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 75
Mrs Doyle
April 14, 2019, 7:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Well we are safe and it's been a frustrating season of glimpses of what could be in between some pretty awful games.

The fact that we have breathing space and a trim squad means M.J. will not have to get rid of to much excess baggage like last time so the wage bill must be in Fentys accountants ball park.

Jolley needs to be shrewd and like Buckley look around for a few gems whilst using the academy.

We all know Fenty and the board will not throw millions in the melting pot so it is what it is.

The freemo project is just a pipe dream that we have seen so many times before the fact they have spent 300k? on new floodlights tells it's own story.

Finally well done to M.J. and the team for securing League status once again albeit a disappointing season but we still look a lot better than Slade and his efforts with a mass of journeymen that wage bill must have been colossal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 75
rancido
April 14, 2019, 8:04am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Knowing things will improve? What basis do you have to be optimistic? Our club is so neanderthal, we’re even replacing floodlights that were secondhand in the first place.

JF wants out and if what I'm led to believe is true then that will happen this summer. Hopefully a new regime will see what is wrong with our set up and correct it. A change of regime though will not alter some of the fundamental factors that hold our club back. NE Lincs is a financially depressed area which is geographically out on a limb and BP is a relic. There is nothing about the perceived persona of the area that would attract potentially good players. To a lot of outsiders it is still thought of as a fishing port that smells of fish inhabited by rough " fisherfolk ". It's not that long ago that a relative of my first wife, from London, visited Grimsby for the first time and couldn't believe how it was. She was convinced that the town would smell of fish and that the women would all wear shawls and clogs !!. You may laugh at this but that was her perception. Our geographical position doesn't help and although some posters will scoff at this , it has been highlighted by previous managers.

You mentioned the floodlights but surely that is a reflection on the fact that even back then we couldn't afford new ones and had to depend on a bigger clubs cast-offs!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 75
MuddyWaters
April 14, 2019, 8:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

JF wants out and if what I'm led to believe is true then that will happen this summer. Hopefully a new regime will see what is wrong with our set up and correct it. A change of regime though will not alter some of the fundamental factors that hold our club back. NE Lincs is a financially depressed area which is geographically out on a limb and BP is a relic. There is nothing about the perceived persona of the area that would attract potentially good players. To a lot of outsiders it is still thought of as a fishing port that smells of fish inhabited by rough " fisherfolk ". It's not that long ago that a relative of my first wife, from London, visited Grimsby for the first time and couldn't believe how it was. She was convinced that the town would smell of fish and that the women would all wear shawls and clogs !!. You may laugh at this but that was her perception. Our geographical position doesn't help and although some posters will scoff at this , it has been highlighted by previous managers.

You mentioned the floodlights but surely that is a reflection on the fact that even back then we couldn't afford new ones and had to depend on a bigger clubs cast-offs!

Obviously I would welcome a change of perspective at the very top but there’s been so many false dawns in this respect, I am reluctant to get too excited. That said, if you’ve got information that a change is imminent, it can only be a positive.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 75
marinerdazza
April 14, 2019, 8:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Meanwhile 30 miles in the other direction the club that sacked their manager whilst in the top 6 last season are currently 1 point off the bottom 4. Always thought the sacking of Alexander was an odd one.

Yep. I said at the time that would turn out to be their “sacking Buckley after a draw at Portsmouth” moment. In fact, it may be the only time I’ve ever been right about anything. Their chairman will bail in the next 12 months, and they’ll be non league within the next 5 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 75
Marinerz93
April 14, 2019, 10:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Well we are safe and it's been a frustrating season of glimpses of what could be in between some pretty awful games.

The fact that we have breathing space and a trim squad means M.J. will not have to get rid of to much excess baggage like last time so the wage bill must be in Fentys accountants ball park.

Jolley needs to be shrewd and like Buckley look around for a few gems whilst using the academy.

We all know Fenty and the board will not throw millions ten bob and a packet of nobby's nuts in the melting pot so it is what it is.

Corrected for you  .

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 75
chrissy
April 14, 2019, 10:43am

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
People are saying 50 points and a takeover is on or Fenty is leaving in the summer,
What truth is there in those comments or is it just wishful thinking. ?

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 75
Marinerz93
April 14, 2019, 10:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I wish I knew they were up here at the time, I would have sold them some rocking horse excrement and a bag of chicken lips.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 75
KingstonMariner
April 14, 2019, 12:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

Let's gloss over the lack of an oxymoron in Chaos' post.

So your philosophy is just to shut up and do what you're told. Keep handing over the money in the belief that somehow things will improve. And you claim to be a realist! Dear oh dear.

Ours not to reason why, eh?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 75
KingstonMariner
April 14, 2019, 12:33pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

You'd be lucky to find young people who knew that Grimsby had been a fishing port now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 75
barralad
April 14, 2019, 3:15pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

On the basis those floodlights have served us well over the last 50 odd years I'd say that was an incredibly good bit of business by the board at the time.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 75
Stadium
April 14, 2019, 4:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from chrissy
People are saying 50 points and a takeover is on or Fenty is leaving in the summer,
What truth is there in those comments or is it just wishful thinking. ?

I would say wishful thinking.
Amazing after securing league football the rumours start about a takeover,JF leaving,big club announcement etc.
Of course if anybody can provide some evidence etc??

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 75
GrimRob
April 14, 2019, 4:38pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
No doubt come July I will be in total denial and convinced we will be serious challengers to rise above the mire of the last few seasons.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 75
KingstonMariner
April 14, 2019, 9:25pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barralad

On the basis those floodlights have served us well over the last 50 odd years I'd say that was an incredibly good bit of business by the board at the time.

Shame we haven't got that kind of foresight now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 75
oochiad
April 14, 2019, 9:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,682
Gold Stars: 27
Roll on next season, we’re going up aren’t we?!?! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 75
promotion plaice
April 14, 2019, 9:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from oochiad
Roll on next season, we’re going up aren’t we?!?! UTM

Well... I'm not normally a betting man but I think I might have a few quid on us getting relegated next season just to cushion the blow if it happens.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 75
marinerdazza
April 14, 2019, 11:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from GrimRob
No doubt come July I will be in total denial and convinced we will be serious challengers to rise above the mire of the last few seasons.

Yep. Most of us will. It’s what we do, and I’ll renew my ticket. I always do.

Sigh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 75
chaos33
April 15, 2019, 7:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

You could have bet at brilliant odds (topped up) on us finishing in the top half again Rob?

Or, you could just give the money to a howling busker.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 75
RonMariner
April 15, 2019, 11:18am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,541
Gold Stars: 224
Now we can start worrying about next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 75
GrimRob
April 15, 2019, 11:37am

Quoted from chaos33

You could have bet at brilliant odds (topped up) on us finishing in the top half again Rob?

Or, you could just give the money to a howling busker.

I don't regret that bet, I still think it was a good bet at the time given our run-in. I don't understand why we have such good and then terrible streaks.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 37 - 75
diehardmariner
April 15, 2019, 12:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
As we're now officially safe, what better time to blood the youngsters who have been on the cusp of the first team for a while.

I've no real interest in seeing what Davis, Whitmore, Collins, Woolford, Grayson, Dennis etc. can/can't offer as I suspect at least half of them won't be here next season.  I'm keen to see how Pollock, Buckley, Burrell even Max Wright when he comes back get on with a little run in the first team.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 75
Les Brechin
April 15, 2019, 1:56pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from GrimRob

I don't regret that bet, I still think it was a good bet at the time given our run-in. I don't understand why we have such good and then terrible streaks.

I agree Rob, it was ridiculous odds at the time and up until only a few weeks ago it was looking like a brilliant bet.

At least I've only lost ÂŁ20, unlike one unnamed poster on here who I'm led to believe had a grand on us!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 ÂŁ16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED ÂŁ170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 75
chaos33
April 15, 2019, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I understand the point but it was palpably not a good bet. You got no sort of value for your outlay and the feeble attempt by the team proved great news for the bookies who lured a few in who should have known better with a juicy price that paid off well for them. If you get a 'run for your money', you could probably call it a good bet in a sense, even though it's a loser. This was over before it began. It was a bad call.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 75
Les Brechin
April 15, 2019, 2:34pm

Quoted from chaos33
I understand the point but it was palpably not a good bet. You got no sort of value for your outlay and the feeble attempt by the team proved great news for the bookies who lured a few in who should have known better with a juicy price that paid off well for them. If you get a 'run for your money', you could probably call it a good bet in a sense, even though it's a loser. This was over before it began. It was a bad call.

Not at all.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED ÂŁ170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 75
Les Brechin
April 15, 2019, 2:35pm

Quoted from chaos33

Not at all. Yes, ultimately the bookies called it right, but I got a decent run for my money. I placed the bet relatively early in the season and up until only about 3 or 4  weeks ago we were still very well placed to go and win the bet. Just the last 5 or 6 games that have scuppered us.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 75
GrimRob
April 15, 2019, 2:42pm

Quoted from chaos33

If I see value I take it. Leicester to win the league, last year Shrewsbury to get promoted and us to get relegated came very close and returned a profit after laying and this year Notts County to be relegated were all things I backed. I barely bet these days compared to what I used to but I still think the long-term markets are where the money, if any, lies, and I have made a good long-term profit backing them.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 43 - 75
chaos33
April 15, 2019, 3:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Not at all. Yes, ultimately the bookies called it right, but I got a decent run for my money. I placed the bet relatively early in the season and up until only about 3 or 4  weeks ago we were still very well placed to go and win the bet. Just the last 5 or 6 games that have scuppered us.

Ok mate if you say so. It was all over after the 3rd week in February. It's a bit like claiming your horse has run well in a mile race because it was almost in mid division at 6 furlongs before falling away badly. If I'd backed that horse I know I'd not be thinking 'it was a good bet. I got a run for my money', when it trailed in 18th out of 24 runners looking shot.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 75
Les Brechin
April 15, 2019, 3:42pm

Quoted from chaos33

Ok mate if you say so. It was all over after the 3rd week in February. It's a bit like claiming your horse has run well in a mile race because it was almost in mid division at 6 furlongs before falling away badly. If I'd backed that horse I know I'd not be thinking 'it was a good bet. I got a run for my money', when it trailed in 18th out of 24 runners looking shot.

Well as the bet was place early October I see it that my horse gave me a good run for the majority of the race but just faded away on the bend into the home straight. To say "it was over before it began" was a bit wide of the mark.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 75
Theimperialcoroner
April 15, 2019, 4:26pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 75
Abdul19
April 15, 2019, 5:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
The third week of February we were 11th!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 75
chaos33
April 15, 2019, 6:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yes, we got a decent result on 23rd Feb, hit mid division and then fell away badly since then. That's the point.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 75
Abdul19
April 15, 2019, 6:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Gotcha. I read it as it was over after the third week of February, when obviously we can't have been out of the running a week later.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 75
chaos33
April 15, 2019, 8:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Ok fair enough. Ive overstated it a bit. Obviously going into early March we might've become a top half side but, in reality we retreated soon after and never looked like top 12 thereafter. If you feel like it was a good value bet then who am I to question? I thought it was a trap and a waste of money and done and dusted with weeks to spare.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 75
queenybantam07
April 16, 2019, 2:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +84
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Unless there's some miracle, Bradford City look certain for the drop - rooted to the bottom and lost 8 out of thier last 9 games, they should sell out the away end next season.

Long time no speak, Mariners!

Looking forward to the trip to BP next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 75
chaos33
April 16, 2019, 3:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
That'll be a proper game. It'd be great if it was two teams competing at the top end. Full house. Like the old days v Yorkshire teams.
The game at VP would be ace too. We'd be sure to take a load!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 75
queenybantam07
April 16, 2019, 3:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
That'll be a proper game. It'd be great if it was two teams competing at the top end. Full house. Like the old days v Yorkshire teams.
The game at VP would be ace too. We'd be sure to take a load!

Aye, I expect us to bounce back at the first attempt. Always enjoyed the games against you lot. I imagine we’ll sell-out regardless of league position - providing the fixture machine is kind to us.

I hope you bring a few. Sadly, I don’t think you brought any more than 800 to VP the last time we were both in L2. We’ve sold 13,500 ST’s already - which is decent considering the dross we’ve been served up these past 18 months.

I’m actually looking forward to next season, strangely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 75
Mariner Timsky
April 16, 2019, 3:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from queenybantam07

Aye, I expect us to bounce back at the first attempt. Always enjoyed the games against you lot. I imagine we’ll sell-out regardless of league position - providing the fixture machine is kind to us.

I hope you bring a few. Sadly, I don’t think you brought any more than 800 to VP the last time we were both in L2. We’ve sold 13,500 ST’s already - which is decent considering the dross we’ve been served up these past 18 months.

So much to look forward to as well - the delights of either Salford or Solihull or even Fylde!!

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 75
queenybantam07
April 16, 2019, 3:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

So much to look forward to as well - the delights of either Salford or Solihull or even Fylde!!

Salford please! 👍🏼
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 75
Mariner Timsky
April 16, 2019, 3:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
And you never know you could do a Chesterfield and dont bother hanging around in League 2 and try out the delights of the National League itself with all its glory and wonders!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 75
queenybantam07
April 16, 2019, 4:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
And you never know you could do a Chesterfield and dont bother hanging around in League 2 and try out the delights of the National League itself with all its glory and wonders!

It could happen, but highly unlikely.

The reason for this seasons relegation is due to off-field problems, which have now improved. We have an owner with money, so we’ll have a competitive budget next season - whereas Chesterfield didn’t.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 75
Theimperialcoroner
April 16, 2019, 4:24pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102

It could happen, but highly unlikely.

The reason for this seasons relegation is due to off-field problems, which have now improved. We have an owner with money, so we’ll have a competitive budget next season - whereas Chesterfield didn’t.

I understood Chesterfield had a very competitive budget. Much like Notts, they used it poorly.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 75
lew chaterleys lover
April 16, 2019, 4:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234

The trouble is - everybody thinks they are going "bounce back" at the first attempt.

Other clubs (barring us, obviously) will also throw money at it, so nothing is a given.

Good luck nonetheless.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 75
Barrattstander
April 16, 2019, 4:47pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14

Bradford City have been selling 2019/20 season tickets for well over a month already, in fact their 'early bird' offer has now finished, hence the 13000+ sales so far.
Mind you they do have to fill a stadium that is now too large for them, hence the prices.

[tweet]1107698163945820161[/tweet]

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 75
queenybantam07
April 16, 2019, 5:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Barrattstander

Bradford City have been selling 2019/20 season tickets for well over a month already, in fact their 'early bird' offer has now finished, hence the 13000+ sales so far.
Mind you they do have to fill a stadium that is now too large for them, hence the prices.

[tweet]1107698163945820161[/tweet]

I wouldn’t suggest Valley Parade is too big for us, we’ve filled it more than a few times - and recently. We averaged just under 20,000 last season.

What’s the away allocation at BP these days?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 75
queenybantam07
April 16, 2019, 5:53pm
Lager Top Drinker

The trouble is - everybody thinks they are going "bounce back" at the first attempt.

Other clubs (barring us, obviously) will also throw money at it, so nothing is a given.

Good luck nonetheless.

It’s a fair comment.

My confidence only stems from us having a very talented set of players currently, which may sound deluded given our current league position - but we were tipped for promotion this pre-season. It’s just been a shocker on and off the pitch - but there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel.

What are the expectations these days in Grimsby? I see you have Wes Thomas and Luke Hendrie on your books; how have they faired?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 75
arryarryarry
April 16, 2019, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116

You were lucky that many went, we hadn't won a game in 19 matches and were heading for the hell of non league.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 75
Heisenberg
April 16, 2019, 6:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93

I wouldn’t suggest Valley Parade is too big for us, we’ve filled it more than a few times - and recently. We averaged just under 20,000 last season.

About 1,800.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 75
Heisenberg
April 16, 2019, 6:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93

I agree about your ground, it’s big because your fan base is big. You’ll be substantially the best supported club next season.

I wish we’d have the sort of incentives offered to sign up to a season ticket, but we’re not as forward thinking as that over here.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 75
queenybantam07
April 16, 2019, 6:34pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

I agree about your ground, it’s big because your fan base is big. You’ll be substantially the best supported club next season.

I wish we’d have the sort of incentives offered to sign up to a season ticket, but we’re not as forward thinking as that over here.

There’s nothing I would like more than to see other clubs launching similar ticketing initiatives. It’s a bit difficult for clubs with a smaller fanbase. I think Vale attempted it a few years ago, and made a loss when compared to the previous season, as they only sold 2,000 extra season tickets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 75
April 16, 2019, 6:40pm
Guest User
Why officially safe? Fenty may say enough is enough go away and leave us in administration, 12 points deducted, leaves us on 38, players not paid. Lose rest of games, relegated to National league, as in administration we are kicked out and join Chester, Darlington and Stockpot. Only safe when next fixtures out.
Reply: 67 - 75
Barrattstander
April 16, 2019, 7:21pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14

Not knocking your attendances at all, you're still averaging over 16000 this season, in what must be a fairly miserable time for the supporters. The point I was trying to make was that with the capacity of Valley Parade being 25000+ the club has had to be pro-active regarding pricing and marketing in getting your fans to games or there would be a lot more than the current average 9000 empty seats per game, a characteristic that most GTFC fans would not be familiar with.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 75
lew chaterleys lover
April 16, 2019, 7:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234

It’s a fair comment.

My confidence only stems from us having a very talented set of players currently, which may sound deluded given our current league position - but we were tipped for promotion this pre-season. It’s just been a shocker on and off the pitch - but there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel.

What are the expectations these days in Grimsby? I see you have Wes Thomas and Luke Hendrie on your books; how have they faired?

The expectations in Grimsby? Nil. In goals and optimism. Fans are against the owner who has had sole control for nearly 2 decades and we have never been in anything other than league 2 or non league, and have not set the league alight in either.

Thomas seems to have had an altercation with the management and seems unlikely to play again. Hendrie is a good player.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 75
queenybantam07
April 16, 2019, 8:41pm
Lager Top Drinker

The expectations in Grimsby? Nil. In goals and optimism. Fans are against the owner who has had sole control for nearly 2 decades and we have never been in anything other than league 2 or non league, and have not set the league alight in either.

Thomas seems to have had an altercation with the management and seems unlikely to play again. Hendrie is a good player.

Fan unrest relating to club ownership - something we know all too much about.

I rated Thomas when we had him, but he rarely got a sniff. Hendrie leaving In Jan last year was when it started to go wrong. Decent enough RB at lower league level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 75
KingstonMariner
April 16, 2019, 10:26pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from 140067
Why officially safe? Fenty may say enough is enough go away and leave us in administration, 12 points deducted, leaves us on 38, players not paid. Lose rest of games, relegated to National league, as in administration we are kicked out and join Chester, Darlington and Stockpot. Only safe when next fixtures out.

That would only happen if his loans weren't benign after all. Can't see him doing that after all he's said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 75
GollyGTFC
April 17, 2019, 9:50am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from 140067

We're past the cut off point for this season. If a club goes into admin now they will start next season on minus 12 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 72 - 75
Les Brechin
April 17, 2019, 10:36am

Quoted from 140067

The Knorr or Oxo version?  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 75
jamesgtfc
April 17, 2019, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Good to see a well mannered opposition fan on here. It currently looks like Scunthorpe may be joining Bradford next season. I like games against the bigger teams such as Bradford, Leeds, Sheffield United and Wednesday, Portsmouth etc. Growing up they were always the games I remember.

I hope Bradford get it together. Fantastic achievement to sell so many season tickets but they have the capacity to make it profitable. Assuming Notts County and Mansfield depart the division this season, Bradford looks like only decent away following to budget for next season unless Scunthorpe join them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 75
Abdul19
April 17, 2019, 1:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Even if they do, Bradford still looks like the only decent away following  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 75
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Officially Safe!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.