Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Officially Safe!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 248 Guests

Officially Safe!

This thread currently has 10,684 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
April 14, 2019, 8:04am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Knowing things will improve? What basis do you have to be optimistic? Our club is so neanderthal, we’re even replacing floodlights that were secondhand in the first place.

JF wants out and if what I'm led to believe is true then that will happen this summer. Hopefully a new regime will see what is wrong with our set up and correct it. A change of regime though will not alter some of the fundamental factors that hold our club back. NE Lincs is a financially depressed area which is geographically out on a limb and BP is a relic. There is nothing about the perceived persona of the area that would attract potentially good players. To a lot of outsiders it is still thought of as a fishing port that smells of fish inhabited by rough " fisherfolk ". It's not that long ago that a relative of my first wife, from London, visited Grimsby for the first time and couldn't believe how it was. She was convinced that the town would smell of fish and that the women would all wear shawls and clogs !!. You may laugh at this but that was her perception. Our geographical position doesn't help and although some posters will scoff at this , it has been highlighted by previous managers.

You mentioned the floodlights but surely that is a reflection on the fact that even back then we couldn't afford new ones and had to depend on a bigger clubs cast-offs!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 75
MuddyWaters
April 14, 2019, 8:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

JF wants out and if what I'm led to believe is true then that will happen this summer. Hopefully a new regime will see what is wrong with our set up and correct it. A change of regime though will not alter some of the fundamental factors that hold our club back. NE Lincs is a financially depressed area which is geographically out on a limb and BP is a relic. There is nothing about the perceived persona of the area that would attract potentially good players. To a lot of outsiders it is still thought of as a fishing port that smells of fish inhabited by rough " fisherfolk ". It's not that long ago that a relative of my first wife, from London, visited Grimsby for the first time and couldn't believe how it was. She was convinced that the town would smell of fish and that the women would all wear shawls and clogs !!. You may laugh at this but that was her perception. Our geographical position doesn't help and although some posters will scoff at this , it has been highlighted by previous managers.

You mentioned the floodlights but surely that is a reflection on the fact that even back then we couldn't afford new ones and had to depend on a bigger clubs cast-offs!

Obviously I would welcome a change of perspective at the very top but there’s been so many false dawns in this respect, I am reluctant to get too excited. That said, if you’ve got information that a change is imminent, it can only be a positive.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 75
marinerdazza
April 14, 2019, 8:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,779
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Meanwhile 30 miles in the other direction the club that sacked their manager whilst in the top 6 last season are currently 1 point off the bottom 4. Always thought the sacking of Alexander was an odd one.

Yep. I said at the time that would turn out to be their “sacking Buckley after a draw at Portsmouth” moment. In fact, it may be the only time I’ve ever been right about anything. Their chairman will bail in the next 12 months, and they’ll be non league within the next 5 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 75
Marinerz93
April 14, 2019, 10:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Well we are safe and it's been a frustrating season of glimpses of what could be in between some pretty awful games.

The fact that we have breathing space and a trim squad means M.J. will not have to get rid of to much excess baggage like last time so the wage bill must be in Fentys accountants ball park.

Jolley needs to be shrewd and like Buckley look around for a few gems whilst using the academy.

We all know Fenty and the board will not throw millions ten bob and a packet of nobby's nuts in the melting pot so it is what it is.

Corrected for you  .

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 75
chrissy
April 14, 2019, 10:43am

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
People are saying 50 points and a takeover is on or Fenty is leaving in the summer,
What truth is there in those comments or is it just wishful thinking. ?

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 75
Marinerz93
April 14, 2019, 10:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from rancido

I wish I knew they were up here at the time, I would have sold them some rocking horse excrement and a bag of chicken lips.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 75
KingstonMariner
April 14, 2019, 12:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

The ultimate oxymoron. I'm a realist and a pragmatist. I want the best for our club but also realise what little affect I can have on it's progress except for attending matches and knowing that things will improve.

Let's gloss over the lack of an oxymoron in Chaos' post.

So your philosophy is just to shut up and do what you're told. Keep handing over the money in the belief that somehow things will improve. And you claim to be a realist! Dear oh dear.

Ours not to reason why, eh?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 75
KingstonMariner
April 14, 2019, 12:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

You'd be lucky to find young people who knew that Grimsby had been a fishing port now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 75
barralad
April 14, 2019, 3:15pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Knowing things will improve? What basis do you have to be optimistic? Our club is so neanderthal, we’re even replacing floodlights that were secondhand in the first place.

On the basis those floodlights have served us well over the last 50 odd years I'd say that was an incredibly good bit of business by the board at the time.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 75
Stadium
April 14, 2019, 4:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from chrissy
People are saying 50 points and a takeover is on or Fenty is leaving in the summer,
What truth is there in those comments or is it just wishful thinking. ?

I would say wishful thinking.
Amazing after securing league football the rumours start about a takeover,JF leaving,big club announcement etc.
Of course if anybody can provide some evidence etc??

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Officially Safe!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.