Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty Out
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 253 Guests

Fenty Out

This thread currently has 43,673 views. Print
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
April 15, 2019, 12:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Some of the extra he leant covered losses built up after the tax debt.

£1.5m losses in the years 2010-16 inclusive.

There've been profits in following years but also £400k worth of directors' loans paid back.

Go figure.

This is what really, really winds me up.  Those losses came about because of the poor management of the club on his watch, there's no other reasoning for the losses.  You can argue decreased revenue, you can argue increased costs...they all came about when he was signing the cheques.  

It's the often used example and I fully accept that it's more of an exception than the rule, but Accrington managed success last season, they made a profit and had approx. half of our income levels through the gate. Then of course there's the knock ons beyond ticket sales such as food, drink etc. bought in the ground.  You would imagine that with extra people going through the gate you also have an increase in merchandise plus with a greater captive audience your advertising sales should be better too.

Forget the success on the pitch.  That's never guaranteed, regardless of what you spend.  You can spend loads and spend it badly.  But if a club like Accrington can make a profit, without any player sales of note, we should be absolutely rolling in it.  Instead we've relied on footballing fortune to post a decent profit.  You take away the Bogle sale and what profit have we made in recent years?  

This club is dying with Fenty in charge, dying a slow and painful death.  We have the 9th highest average attendance in the league but if everything is to be believed something like the 17th/18th highest playing budget.  Why?  It's not a perfect science and when you've got clubs like Mansfield who are throwing money at it, you would expect a few anomalies but not to that extent.
We have to scrape around with a relegation battle budget because the club is run like a closed shop.  No lessons are ever learned, I don't mind mistakes but when they're repeated time and time again it's just lazy.  

Fenty has overseen something like 15 years of decline.  I fear that this summer will mark the biggest apathy towards the club in a long, long time.  Even during the dark days of the Conference there was hope and belief we would return.  Now the mood is of total acceptance that the club is heading absolutely nowhere.

It's becoming more and more apparent that the club is run on a shoestring at the minute.  A savvy chairman would use this as  a marketing ploy.    We've got a young and local squad that other clubs would see as a marketing opportunity.  Clifton, Wright, Rose, Pollock, Battersby, Buckley, Vernam (relatively local) and Burrell. should all be on the front of the season ticket packs that should have gone out two months ago.  The new generation, home grown and proud to wear the shirt.  Instead we're going to fall into the summer with total apathy and struggle to break 2,000 season tickets sold.  

A complete review of the club is needed, from top and bottom.  What departments are performing and why aren't they.  What more can we do to sell season tickets, what percentage of our crowd is under a certain age and then over a certain age or how far do they live from the ground?  Do we have a next generation of fans getting an interest in the club from a young age?   Maybe if we managed ticket sales on a system more technical than an A4 lined book we would have this at our finger tips.  

I don't doubt that Fenty has the best interest of the club at heart, or that he genuinely believes he's doing the right thing.  But the hard fact is that he isn't doing the right thing.  He's burying his head in the sand and we're stagnating, at best.  Time to leave John.  Time to let someone else have a go and bring fresh ideas to the table.  
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 298
SalsaE70
April 15, 2019, 12:40pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: -90
Gold Stars: 1
I can sense your passion and frustration. You’re so right about playing budgets aren’t everything. Just look at Notts County, massive budget but bottom. Think Accrington are a great model to look at how they not only survive but prosper.
I must admit , as an Imp, the previous Chairman did much to keep us afloat but we needed some new blood and new ambition to complement the change. You also need a bit of luck like we had in our FA Cup rum and use the money wisely.. good luck for next year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 298
FishOutOfWater
April 15, 2019, 1:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from rancido

But we spent several seasons in the 3rd Division (N) prior to that, which was the lowest Football League for Northern teams. When you finished bottom of that you had to seek re-election and if you failed you were relegated to non-league.

Point taken Rancido but that's also a bit like saying when there were only two divisions we were t a low ebb by being in the bottom one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grimsby_Town_F.C._seasons

Looking back to the early to mid fifties we had five seasons in Divison 3 North, three of which we did pretty well and only one where we didn't

I don't know what was going on in the 54-55 season but surely every team at some stage has been down at the bottom so it wasn't as if it was a sustained depressed period ( though to anyone who'd witnessed us in the top flight, maybe it did feel that way    )
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 62 - 298
Biccys
April 15, 2019, 2:08pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I'm sure!

Sorry I was being deliberately facetious with the question, I was trying to emphasise that the debt seemed smaller prior to the current boards tenure.

Yeah, I got it.

My point still stands.

Knowing that you've lent some money yet not knowing what the sum repaid to you in the club's accounts constitutes towards that debt is worrying to me. And no, it wasn't explained in the fans forum or AGM either, as he claimed.

Stinks of fish to me.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 63 - 298
KingstonMariner
April 15, 2019, 9:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner

This is what really, really winds me up.  Those losses came about because of the poor management of the club on his watch, there's no other reasoning for the losses.  You can argue decreased revenue, you can argue increased costs...they all came about when he was signing the cheques.  

Not just signing the cheques but demanding to be in control. Let's not forget he got GIVEN £250,000 worth of shares. When you add that to the extra losses you get to £1.75m. Now how much has he bailed the club out?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 298
MuddyWaters
April 15, 2019, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

Not just signing the cheques but demanding to be in control. Let's not forget he got GIVEN £250,000 worth of shares. When you add that to the extra losses you get to £1.75m. Now how much has he bailed the club out?

Let’s not forget the 5 million revenue we allegedly lost whilst non league- that would have paid his loans off more than once.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 298
Green27
April 15, 2019, 9:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12

It was £500,000 actually

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 298
dapperz fun pub
April 15, 2019, 11:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Green27

It was £500,000 actually

Didn’t agree with that tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 298
KingstonMariner
April 16, 2019, 8:23am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Green27

It was £500,000 actually

No. The total of shares give to the Trust by Mike Parker was 500,000. Half of which was given to JF.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 298
grimsby pete
April 16, 2019, 9:22am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Ipswich ST's price out tomorrow they expect to lose £9 million by been relegated,

BUT

I bet they will have some good offers on,

So come on Grimsby plan ahead and get some interest going.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 298
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty Out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.