Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty Out
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 145 Guests

Fenty Out

This thread currently has 43,391 views. Print
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
April 15, 2019, 8:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I think I’m correct in saying the first time we dropped into the fourth tier was 1968 when we had four seasons there before Lawrie Mac got us up

Our next spell was from 77 to 79 when John Newman got promotion

The next was from 88 until 90 when under AB1 we were back going up

So there were 8 seasons only at this level until we dropped down again in 2004.

It means 10 seasons now at this level ( including 19-20  in with this ) plus of course the six out in the conference

This is definitely the lowest ebb in our history but all things must pass.....just hope I’ll see Town at a higher level again in one day in the years I’ve got left

UTM GTID

But we spent several seasons in the 3rd Division (N) prior to that, which was the lowest Football League for Northern teams. When you finished bottom of that you had to seek re-election and if you failed you were relegated to non-league.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 298
Bigdog
April 15, 2019, 8:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from rancido

But we spent several seasons in the 3rd Division (N) prior to that, which was the lowest Football League for Northern teams. When you finished bottom of that you had to seek re-election and if you failed you were relegated to non-league.

Correct. We finished in the bottom half of Third Division North four times and once in the bottom half of Third Division South which would be the equivalent of being in the fourth tier. Even taking these seasons into account, before the turn of the century, we spent far less time in the fourth tier than any other division, let alone the fifth tier..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 298
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 15, 2019, 8:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

True enough we were in there 1950-56 but 3rd Division (N) and 3rd Division (S) were very hard to get out of because there was only the one promotion spot for each. We finished 2nd in 1951/2 and if we had been promoted then life would have been different I suspect. For one thing Shankly would have stayed longer. Once DIv 4 came in, it made movement a lot more likely.

I wonder if anyone has done research into double promotions and relegations because clubs quite often do that as Lincoln and Luton are doing now.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 298
golfer
April 15, 2019, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
O.K.   If J.S.F. said that's it ,emptied his desk and walked-wiping off his loans but keeping his shares-what would happen next
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 298
Maringer
April 15, 2019, 9:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180

I wonder if anyone has done research into double promotions and relegations because clubs quite often do that as Lincoln and Luton are doing now.

Luton, yes, Lincoln, no.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 298
Bigdog
April 15, 2019, 10:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from golfer
O.K.   If J.S.F. said that's it ,emptied his desk and walked-wiping off his loans but keeping his shares-what would happen next

Well, the cost of buying control of GTFC would be reduced by 1.6m for a start which would make it more attractive and leave potential investors with more money to invest in the club rather than pay JF off. Of course, he could hold them to ransom by putting a higher price on his controlling shares but I don't think he's that kind of person to do that. To my knowledge, the day to day running of the club wouldn't change too much and there's a few hundred grand left from the Bogle money so no overdraft to secure..Ideal scenario would be for JF to write off the loans and remain in place until a takeover for stability, but if he walked I don't think it would destabilise the club too much, if at all. In fact, it may boost season ticket sales and put the club on a sounder financial footing. It wouldn't be armageddon, that's for sure..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 298
Brazilnut
April 15, 2019, 10:58am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Bigdog

Gateshead FFS, you're using them as a comparison? Bundle of hopeful joy you are..

Other clubs that have been in administration

Charlton
Middlesbrough
Tranmere
Newport
Walsall
Northampton
Exeter
Gillingham
Doncaster
Millwall
Bournemouth
Crystal Palace
Portsmouth
Hull
QPR
Bradford
Notts County
Barnsley
Leicester
Port Vale
Derby
Ipswich
Wimbledon
Cambridge
Rotherham
Southampton
Plymouth
Coventry

But as usual, you're always using the fear factor quoting the most unsuccessful clubs and worst case scenarios, rather than, god forbid, anything positive for GTFC to compare against or aspire to..

Didn't Leeds go into administration ......seem to remember them signing papers at half time of last match of season  when they was going down......and that's when rules changed to carry points deduction to next season

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 298
Biccys
April 15, 2019, 11:01am
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Where does the 2 million figure even come from, I mean I thought the tax debt was like 750k?

Why not give him a call and ask him to itemise his liabilities to the club? I did. Interesting conversation that was...!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 57 - 298
Bigdog
April 15, 2019, 11:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Brazilnut

Didn't Leeds go into administration ......seem to remember them signing papers at half time of last match of season  when they was going down......and that's when rules changed to carry points deduction to next season

Yes Leeds too.. and maybe a few others..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 298
Swansea_Mariner
April 15, 2019, 11:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Biccys

Why not give him a call and ask him to itemise his liabilities to the club? I did. Interesting conversation that was...!

I'm sure!

Sorry I was being deliberately facetious with the question, I was trying to emphasise that the debt seemed smaller prior to the current boards tenure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 298
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty Out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.