Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty Out
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 116 Guests

Fenty Out

This thread currently has 43,668 views. Print
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
April 13, 2019, 8:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,440
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from SalsaE70
By the way... Imps are in L1......

Do us a favour, take ya face for a shite...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 298
HertsGTFC
April 13, 2019, 8:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,870
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from SalsaE70
By the way... Imps are in L1......

And the proper supporters are out celebrating whilst the plastics are at home trolling ......... don’t worry your tail will be hard again soon and you can carry on with what gratifies you most.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 298
RichMariner
April 13, 2019, 10:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I do appreciate that Fenty has put a lot of his own money into the club and kept it from administration.

But if he's now expecting this money back then he should have the business sense to recognise that he'll never get it and just cut his losses.

To make the kind of profits that will help him recoup a large chunk of his benign loans means we'll have to be successful on the pitch and show innovation off it, and we're doing neither at the minute.

Check mate.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 298
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2019, 11:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner
I do appreciate that Fenty has put a lot of his own money into the club and kept it from administration.

But if he's now expecting this money back then he should have the business sense to recognise that he'll never get it and just cut his losses.

To make the kind of profits that will help him recoup a large chunk of his benign loans means we'll have to be successful on the pitch and show innovation off it, and we're doing neither at the minute.

Check mate.

Stale mate would be the more apt term for it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 298
Marinerz93
April 14, 2019, 10:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from rancido

Well seeing as a generation is usually classed as thirty years then that is a sweeping statement. As a point of interest , not that it will strengthen your point , just check out the 1968/69 season. Town finished second to bottom in Division 4. Also in the same league were Bradford Park Avenue, York City, Chesterfield, Aldershot, Chester, Workington, Wrexham, Darlington and Halifax. So 50  years ago we were in the same league as now , in such auspicious company and no JF to blame for our predicament.  Go back to 1954/55 season when we finished second to bottom in Division 3 (N). No Division 4 then so we effectivley finished joint second in the FL.  Of the 24 teams in that league 14 are now non-league.Yes we were "lumped " in with those teams 64 years ago. Fans seem to forget that our history in the time I have been alive (71 years) is not as illustrious and great as they seem to think. These are also times when no Director or Chairman would have stepped into the breach to save the club with loans (benign or otherwise ) or gifts to keep the club going.

Going back to previous poor spells, what about when Town were in the top flight and finishing 5th, no lets hark back to doom and gloom, tell me in our history give me a break down of how long we have spent in each league, because when I last checked we had spent night on 50 years at Championship level, and around 12 in the top flight. The fact we have spent more time in the top flight than non league tells me we should be top half of league 1 to bottom half of the Championship under the right stewardship.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 298
rancido
April 14, 2019, 12:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Marinerz93

Going back to previous poor spells, what about when Town were in the top flight and finishing 5th, no lets hark back to doom and gloom, tell me in our history give me a break down of how long we have spent in each league, because when I last checked we had spent night on 50 years at Championship level, and around 12 in the top flight. The fact we have spent more time in the top flight than non league tells me we should be top half of league 1 to bottom half of the Championship under the right stewardship.

I totally agree on where we should be and yes with the right stewardship we could be there again. The reason I mentioned previous poor seasons was because they happened in my lifetime and they counter the perceived idea that bad times have only occured recently and are peculiar to the management of the club by JF and no other regime in our past. Yes we were in the top flight of English football but seeing as that finished in the late 1940's that is beyond my recall.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 298
KingstonMariner
April 14, 2019, 12:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

I totally agree on where we should be and yes with the right stewardship we could be there again. The reason I mentioned previous poor seasons was because they happened in my lifetime and they counter the perceived idea that bad times have only occured recently and are peculiar to the management of the club by JF and no other regime in our past. Yes we were in the top flight of English football but seeing as that finished in the late 1940's that is beyond my recall.

We've never had such a sustained spell as bad as this though.  67-70 is probably the last time. Other than that it's been brief spells in the 4th tier.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 298
Marinerz93
April 14, 2019, 6:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from rancido

Fair comments, for those of us who don't remember those times there are still some old boys who still go who do, isn't that right barra  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 298
FishOutOfWater
April 14, 2019, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from KingstonMariner

We've never had such a sustained spell as bad as this though.  67-70 is probably the last time. Other than that it's been brief spells in the 4th tier.

I think I’m correct in saying the first time we dropped into the fourth tier was 1968 when we had four seasons there before Lawrie Mac got us up

Our next spell was from 77 to 79 when John Newman got promotion

The next was from 88 until 90 when under AB1 we were back going up

So there were 8 seasons only at this level until we dropped down again in 2004.

It means 10 seasons now at this level ( including 19-20  in with this ) plus of course the six out in the conference

This is definitely the lowest ebb in our history but all things must pass.....just hope I’ll see Town at a higher level again one day, in the years I’ve got left

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 298
GrimRob
April 14, 2019, 7:05pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Football is played in far more places than it was in even the 70s and 80s. If you look back on quality papers in decades gone by it got a fraction of the coverage does today. Posh southerners used to turn their nose up at football now it's an establishment sport. You really are not comparing like with like if you are expecting town to emulate what they did in the past when they now have to compete with far more affluent towns and cities who (if they were even built) once spurned the game. And we have to compete with a ground built in the 19th century.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 298
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty Out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.