1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
April 12, 2019, 11:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Please correct me if I am wrong BUT I do not recall Town appointing an inexperienced manager who failed  and was sacked by us who then went on to be a success elsewhere.

So MJ  will be aware of this which will make him even more determined to get it right,

I think and hope he will learn from his mistakes this season and be a better manager next .

How much success he can achieve will of course  be relient on what budget he recieves,

Whatever it his we will be safe from returning to non league which make make a few happy BUT the majority will want a big improvemet  expecting promotion might be a step too far too soon though.

Making the play offs would be a great season finishing above halfway would give him another season.

However finishing in the lower half might be the end of his management career and  us been relegated would mean his last job as a manager and going back to coaching younger players alsewhere or back to banking.

I feel positive he will go from strenght to strenght and make a success of things here BUT only if he listens to advice from senior managers that have done it all before, We have Alan Buckley in the town who am sure could add pearls of wisdom to a young and upcoming manager if asked.

We must expect anybody that starts a new role in any job will make mistakes the ones who learn from them make a success of what they are doing and the ones who dont fall by the wayside.

Lets all hope MJ is the one who learns and we should all back him to try and improve his chances and of course bring success to our club.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 12, 2019, 11:42am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,606
Gold Stars: 64
Pete, reference your point in speaking with experienced Managers I have heard both Buckley and Jolley say they have held regular discussions over a coffee. Unfortunately, to date, it does not appear that MJ has used any words of wisdom that may have been passed on to the benefit of our performances on the pitch.

Like others I am really hoping this season has been a real learning experience and he will deliver massive improvements next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
pizzzza
April 12, 2019, 11:43am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,696
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from grimsby pete
Please correct me if I am wrong BUT I do not recall Town appointing an inexperienced manager who failed  and was sacked by us who then went on to be a success elsewhere.

Depends how you define success. Brian Laws had a long managerial career after Town sacked him and was even managing in the Premier League at one point. Paul Groves established himself as a coach for clubs in the higher leagues. I'm sure they have both done very well out of the game and would consider themselves to have had successful careers.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
RonMariner
April 12, 2019, 2:15pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,535
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from pizzzza

Depends how you define success. Brian Laws had a long managerial career after Town sacked him and was even managing in the Premier League at one point. Paul Groves established himself as a coach for clubs in the higher leagues. I'm sure they have both done very well out of the game and would consider themselves to have had successful careers.

Bit harsh to call Groves a failure. He kept us up in the championship against all the odds. Given the circumstances, our relegation the following season was nailed on. Would have been another  miracle if he had kept us up.

Regarding Laws, he took us to 10th in the Championship in his first season and I don't think we went down with him in charge.

Yes they were sacked, but I don't think it's fair to call them failures.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
Abdul19
April 12, 2019, 2:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 215
I think failure is fair enough when you're in charge of a side that lost 8-1 to Hartlepool, 6-0 to Oldham, 5-1 to Port Vale and 4-1 to Tony Adams's Wycombe.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
Ipswin
April 12, 2019, 3:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete
P

How much success he can achieve will of course  be relient on what budget he recieves,

Obviously the budget will be an important factor but there are two others which, whatever the budget, need to be met and which Jolley cannot blame anyone but himself for if he fails

1 How he spends it (any idiot can get rid of loads of cash and end up with duffers) and

2 Will he be able to mould any signings from a large budget into a team and will his tactics work (if he replaced Klopp or Guardilola tomorrow would City and Liverpool still top the league?)

I suppose most will continue to blame Fenty however much is in the budget

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
RonMariner
April 12, 2019, 3:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,535
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Abdul19
I think failure is fair enough when you're in charge of a side that lost 8-1 to Hartlepool, 6-0 to Oldham, 5-1 to Port Vale and 4-1 to Tony Adams's Wycombe.

Yes, he had some bad results, and you could pick out some horrific scores for almost any manager, but he faced a near impossible task at the time.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
Abdul19
April 12, 2019, 10:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 215
In the second tier, yes. I'm not so sure about the third. I think being such a brilliant player clouds how bad that season was a bit.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Town Managers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.