Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Eat. sleep. repeat.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 369 Guests

Eat. sleep. repeat.

This thread currently has 7,856 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 13, 2019, 12:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Son of Cod

I wholeheartedly agree with the vast majority of that. I don't think that going through x years of crap is a justification of going out of your way to be negative though. Teams often go through a lot worse than us in a shorter space of time. I don't think the non-league was particularly bad either, it was infinitely more enjoyable than pretty much every season between 05/06 and going down.

This reads almost troll-like in its contrariness. What’s next? Blaming the TV money fiasco again? I could not give a rat’s hindquarters what other clubs have gone through and I think non-league was an appalling period for the club. But there again I’m only speaking as a member of the Toxic Fans Society.

. Supporters have always chuntered about managers. Buckley was subject to it more than once, so was George Kerr and they were our most successful in my time. God knows what you would have made of the years when we had people like Lyons and Don McAvoy.  

People are entitled though to take a manager at his word and question whether he is on the right track. As to experience, a year is plenty in my view. By now we should be seeing the fruits of a playing method developed under an umbrella of goodwill and patience from the stands. Are we? Are we spherical objects! When comment is made to that effect on here all we get are the same tired mantas - budget, budget, budget plus inexperience. It is neither toxic nor unfair nor unreasonable to expect better after 12 months of the messiah. The words “give him time” have a bit of a hollow ring now.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2019, 12:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Son of Cod

I've heard Town players berated in the first few minutes of matches before even kicking a ball, I'd argue that those people are going out of their way to be negative.

Well, I wouldn't consider myself superior to anyone but glad to read that you think I am - thank you.

They might be being negative, and it might be unhelpful behaviour. And boring to boot. But why do you think someone would actually try to be negative? Bizarre thinking. Seems like it says more about you than them.

You can thank me all you like. Clearly I wasn't suggesting you were actually superior.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
jamesgtfc
April 13, 2019, 2:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Son of Cod

I couldn't disagree with that more to be honest. Do you ever go watch other teams play? As in go to matches that don't involve Town? The amount of fans we have that are seemingly desperate to tear into certain players/scapegoats compared to most other away ends I've been in is alarming.

I have the benefit of getting around a lot of clubs and sitting in their home ends. Chesterfield v Maidenhead earlier this season was probably the most toxic atmosphere I have been in. They lost 3-1 and it was about 9 games into Martin Allen's awful run.  Last season, Rotherham got promoted and were around the play-offs all season but their supporters were not happy.

Over the last 17 years we have had an expectation to be higher up the league table than we have been. Football is an expensive day out and we have a right to want value for money. In 33 of our 41 games this season we have scored 1 or less. With statistics like that you can see why people are staying away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
grimsby pete
April 13, 2019, 2:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from jamesgtfc

In 33 of our 41 games this season we have scored 1 or less. With statistics like that you can see why people are staying away.

I never realised that those are terrible stats.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
RonMariner
April 13, 2019, 6:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,658
Gold Stars: 226
Now 34 out of 42.  Pretty shocking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
jamesgtfc
April 14, 2019, 12:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Only Port Vale (36), Cambridge (37) and Yeovil (3 have scored less than our 41 goals this season.

Oldham (13th) and Carlisle (8th) are the only 2 teams with over 60 goals not in the top 7. Statistics only tell part of the story but we are a 20 goal striker away from competing at the top end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
promotion plaice
April 14, 2019, 12:10am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

And I went to a game at BP when we were 6-0 up at half-time.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
Son of Cod
April 15, 2019, 2:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196

This reads almost troll-like in its contrariness. What’s next? Blaming the TV money fiasco again? I could not give a rat’s hindquarters what other clubs have gone through and I think non-league was an appalling period for the club. But there again I’m only speaking as a member of the Toxic Fans Society.

. Supporters have always chuntered about managers. Buckley was subject to it more than once, so was George Kerr and they were our most successful in my time. God knows what you would have made of the years when we had people like Lyons and Don McAvoy.  

People are entitled though to take a manager at his word and question whether he is on the right track. As to experience, a year is plenty in my view. By now we should be seeing the fruits of a playing method developed under an umbrella of goodwill and patience from the stands. Are we? Are we spherical objects! When comment is made to that effect on here all we get are the same tired mantas - budget, budget, budget plus inexperience. It is neither toxic nor unfair nor unreasonable to expect better after 12 months of the messiah. The words “give him time” have a bit of a hollow ring now.

Who exactly proclaimed him the messiah? He inherited a terrible squad and I believe he himself said he'd need at least three transfer windows to get us anywhere near competitive. It took us six years to get out the last division with a top five budget every season. Interesting to note that the first few paragraphs of Codalmighty today are essentially saying all I've been saying.

In terms of seeing the fruits of a playing method, it's quite clear that Jolley has made us harder to break down and more solid at the back. We're obviously lacking creativity and a goal threat, but building from the back first isn't such a bad thing is it?

Quoted from KingstonMariner

They might be being negative, and it might be unhelpful behaviour. And boring to boot. But why do you think someone would actually try to be negative? Bizarre thinking. Seems like it says more about you than them.

You can thank me all you like. Clearly I wasn't suggesting you were actually superior.

I neither really know nor care about what you're getting at by insinuating that what I've said says something about my character. To me though, if someone is getting on the backs of players 30 seconds into a match then yeah - they're going out of their way to be negative. I'm not sure what you find so bizarre about that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 15, 2019, 9:03pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Son of Cod

Who exactly proclaimed him the messiah? He inherited a terrible squad and I believe he himself said he'd need at least three transfer windows to get us anywhere near competitive. It took us six years to get out the last division with a top five budget every season. Interesting to note that the first few paragraphs of Codalmighty today are essentially saying all I've been saying.

In terms of seeing the fruits of a playing method, it's quite clear that Jolley has made us harder to break down and more solid at the back. We're obviously lacking creativity and a goal threat, but building from the back first isn't such a bad thing is it?

I neither really know nor care about what you're getting at by insinuating that what I've said says something about my character. To me though, if someone is getting on the backs of players 30 seconds into a match then yeah - they're going out of their way to be negative. I'm not sure what you find so bizarre about that.

Well to make it plain enough to understand....if you think that someone goes out of their way to be a miserable fornicator (rather than either just being made that way/ending up that way through life's bitter experiences) then it shows how perversely you think. You really think someone thinks about how they're going to be and says to themself 'either I can just be neutral or positive without much effort, or I can pull my finger out and put my back into being negative'?!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
Son of Cod
April 16, 2019, 8:19am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Well to make it plain enough to understand....if you think that someone goes out of their way to be a miserable fornicator (rather than either just being made that way/ending up that way through life's bitter experiences) then it shows how perversely you think. You really think someone thinks about how they're going to be and says to themself 'either I can just be neutral or positive without much effort, or I can pull my finger out and put my back into being negative'?!

Oh, I think there are people like that. However, I also think there are people who genuinely like to complain and moan about things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Eat. sleep. repeat.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.