Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Eat. sleep. repeat.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 134 Guests

Eat. sleep. repeat.

This thread currently has 7,837 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
April 13, 2019, 7:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
To be fair every club as fans that are demanding and why not it is about wining football matches and entertaining, long win less runs can test even the most ardent fans.

If the fans are the problem we really are in deep shat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
Son of Cod
April 13, 2019, 7:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,327
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
To be fair every club as fans that are demanding and why not it is about wining football matches and entertaining, long win less runs can test even the most ardent fans.

If the fans are the problem we really are in deep shat.

I'm not saying we're the only problem, but as a collective we're not entirely blameless. The majority of Town fans talked the talk about wanting to give Jolley time to build something but there are a lot getting restless now. The whole notion of giving someone time, especially in a division in which they have a fairly poor budget, centres around the fact that we're potentially gonna have to put up with some dross.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
Bigdog
April 13, 2019, 9:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Son of Cod

I'm not saying we're the only problem, but as a collective we're not entirely blameless. The majority of Town fans talked the talk about wanting to give Jolley time to build something but there are a lot getting restless now. The whole notion of giving someone time, especially in a division in which they have a fairly poor budget, centres around the fact that we're potentially gonna have to put up with some dross.

GTFC must have one of the most patient and loyal fan bases in the country to be honest. Patience has now worn very thin. Ground zero wasn't when Jolley was appointed, ground zero was about 17 years ago when the perpetual dross began. About twenty exciting home games out of 350. It's a long time to be in the doldrums while watching other teams prosper which includes pretty much every local team within 60 miles. To shoulder some of the blame on our fans is laughable after what we've been through. 100% victims, 0% perpetrators of our very sorry state..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
Son of Cod
April 13, 2019, 9:53am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

GTFC must have one of the most patient and loyal fan bases in the country to be honest. Patience has now worn very thin. Ground zero wasn't when Jolley was appointed, ground zero was about 17 years ago when the perpetual dross began. About twenty exciting home games out of 350. It's a long time to be in the doldrums while watching other teams prosper which includes pretty much every local team within 60 miles. To shoulder some of the blame on our fans is laughable after what we've been through. 100% victims, 0% perpetrators of our very sorry state..

I couldn't disagree with that more to be honest. Do you ever go watch other teams play? As in go to matches that don't involve Town? The amount of fans we have that are seemingly desperate to tear into certain players/scapegoats compared to most other away ends I've been in is alarming.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
April 13, 2019, 10:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,651
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Son of Cod

I couldn't disagree with that more to be honest. Do you ever go watch other teams play? As in go to matches that don't involve Town? The amount of fans we have that are seemingly desperate to tear into certain players/scapegoats compared to most other away ends I've been in is alarming.

Have those fans you speak of put up with 18 yerars of decline though? I don't disagree that BP and our away following can be very critical but so they should.

We have kept the faith for most of the time, including years of thin gruel in the humiliating non league years.

Nearly all of the blame is heaped on the board. They are the custodians of the club, who should have its well being at heart. They are the ones who determine our future. I don't blame managers or players so much, as they are fairly short term pieces of the jigsaw, and they are only as good as circumstances allow.

If the board had any strategy whatsoever, players and managers coming and going would be just a way of making progress. We rely almost entirely on fans contributions and a "hope it all comes right" attitude with fingers crossed.

We have two ways of trying to get success. One is a new board with more (a bit more) money to spend and more importantly a plan to go with it, or two get lucky and find a manager who could mould a cheap squad with the budget he has to play with into a promotion team.

I like Michael Jolley, and I hope he can succeed. If he cannot get a team together on the budget (which let's face it is certainly not "competitive") then he will have to be replaced sooner or later and the search would go on for a manager who can.

Until we get a board with drive and ambition, with a realistic plan for stadium improvements, a better match day experience, a team to be proud of and getting more people through the gate, we will just stumble on in the elusive search for football fortune on a shoestring.  
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
Son of Cod
April 13, 2019, 10:45am
Champagne Drinker

Have those fans you speak of put up with 18 yerars of decline though? I don't disagree that BP and our away following can be very critical but so they should.

We have kept the faith for most of the time, including years of thin gruel in the humiliating non league years.

Nearly all of the blame is heaped on the board. They are the custodians of the club, who should have its well being at heart. They are the ones who determine our future. I don't blame managers or players so much, as they are fairly short term pieces of the jigsaw, and they are only as good as circumstances allow.

If the board had any strategy whatsoever, players and managers coming and going would be just a way of making progress. We rely almost entirely on fans contributions and a "hope it all comes right" attitude with fingers crossed.

We have two ways of trying to get success. One is a new board with more (a bit more) money to spend and more importantly a plan to go with it, or two get lucky and find a manager who could mould a cheap squad with the budget he has to play with into a promotion team.

I like Michael Jolley, and I hope he can succeed. If he cannot get a team together on the budget (which let's face it is certainly not "competitive") then he will have to be replaced sooner or later and the search would go on for a manager who can.

Until we get a board with drive and ambition, with a realistic plan for stadium improvements, a better match day experience, a team to be proud of and getting more people through the gate, we will just stumble on in the elusive search for football fortune on a shoestring.  

I wholeheartedly agree with the vast majority of that. I don't think that going through x years of crap is a justification of going out of your way to be negative though. Teams often go through a lot worse than us in a shorter space of time. I don't think the non-league was particularly bad either, it was infinitely more enjoyable than pretty much every season between 05/06 and going down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2019, 11:54am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Son of Cod

I wholeheartedly agree with the vast majority of that. I don't think that going through x years of crap is a justification of going out of your way to be negative though. Teams often go through a lot worse than us in a shorter space of time. I don't think the non-league was particularly bad either, it was infinitely more enjoyable than pretty much every season between 05/06 and going down.

I dont think anyone is going out of there way to be negative though. Why would someone even do that? Some people might be miserable buggers, but people don't go out of their way to be like it.*

And whilst some of the time is non-League was entertaining, it was often inspite of the quality of football.

* Swin excepted  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2019, 11:56am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Son of Cod

And therein lies part of the problem. We can bleat on about Fenty and the infrastructure of the club until we're blue in the face but any degree of optimism generated at the club will only ever be 8 or so games away from evaporation when there is a level of toxicity within the fanbase.

There goes that word again. It suggests a certain degree of superiority in the person using it. And completely ignores why there might be ill-feeling in the first place.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
MuddyWaters
April 13, 2019, 11:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,173
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Son of Cod

And therein lies part of the problem. We can bleat on about Fenty and the infrastructure of the club until we're blue in the face but any degree of optimism generated at the club will only ever be 8 or so games away from evaporation when there is a level of toxicity within the fanbase.

Let's not forget who made the decisions regarding loans, share issues, benign loans etc. - the problem is always managing expectations but I bet there's not one fan of GTFC that expected us to plummet down the league & spend 6 years as a non-league club. I do have an issue with statements like 'every manager is only six games from the sack' - things like that tend to stick especially with our track record.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
Son of Cod
April 13, 2019, 12:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I dont think anyone is going out of there way to be negative though. Why would someone even do that? Some people might be miserable buggers, but people don't go out of their way to be like it.*

And whilst some of the time is non-League was entertaining, it was often inspite of the quality of football.

* Swin excepted  

I've heard Town players berated in the first few minutes of matches before even kicking a ball, I'd argue that those people are going out of their way to be negative.

Quoted from KingstonMariner

There goes that word again. It suggests a certain degree of superiority in the person using it. And completely ignores why there might be ill-feeling in the first place.

Well, I wouldn't consider myself superior to anyone but glad to read that you think I am - thank you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Eat. sleep. repeat.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.