2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
H19P1
April 10, 2019, 9:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Quoted from Perkins
All pointless, it won't be who we want to keep or let go, it'll be Jolley and what budget  he is given.

Isn’t this being rectified and announced for when we get to 50points?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
denni266
April 10, 2019, 9:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +693
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from H19P1

Isn’t this being rectified and announced for when we get to 50points?

Could be a few seasons away, the way things are going  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
KingstonMariner
April 10, 2019, 11:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Perkins
All pointless, it won't be who we want to keep or let go, it'll be Jolley and what budget  he is given.

Here's a thing. The whole board is pointless if you look at it like that. Rob may as well pack it in and we can all go off and share our opinions with the dog or cat.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
The Boys Paddock
April 13, 2019, 12:26am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
bookmark this, as we will be having the same conversation this time next year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
fishboyUTM
April 13, 2019, 6:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Agree with the suggested retained list for the most part, although Davis hasn't fully convinced me and I'll be disappointed to see Wes Thomas leave. We do need a fair change around in playing staff. I, like many have been desperately disappointed at these pathetic winless runs we've endured this season.

There have been good runs where we have played some great football, at pace and looked like a proper side, for several weeks at a time, then we've looked like clowns for two months or so before going on another winning run.

For me, that suggests a lack of leadership, a lack of character in the players. When we've gone a goal down, we've been done. I think most agree (the player probably would) that Danny Collins time us up which will leave us a leader short, and through the spine.

So we need to look at leaders throughout the spine in particular. If only we could bring Shaun Pearson back, I believe there is an armband waiting for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
Mrs Doyle
April 13, 2019, 7:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I think Whitmore deserves another opportunity.

Sorry Danny your legs have gone you either going to get skinned or going to get sent off for a desperate foul.

This as been exposed to many times this season even though we play a defensive game.

Macca would be a good captain probably the most experienced town player in the squad.

Thomas is a goner if rumours about him trying to disrupt the squad are true the management are in charge and that is how it should be.

We need a creative midfielder plus a box to box battler two strikers with a turn of pace ideally one big strong striker.

Cardwell could well benefit from a loan out to non league to give him more confidence  

Stick with the youth academy system it is showing good signs and is the only way to go on a tight budget.

I still have faith in M.J. and his coaching team they have given us glimpses of what could be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
HackneyHaddock
April 13, 2019, 8:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
I actually think the Defence is OK.  I think the stats show that we're not necessarily bad at defending, but have just been doing so much defending that conceding is inevitable.  Much of the pressure comes from not having the ball ourselves higher up the pitch and being on the attack, so counterintuitively the best way to staunch the flow of goals would be to have more creativity in midfield and get in a good striker.

A huge shame that Wes has turned out to be a disruption because he's been pretty good, at least during the good phases.  When Embleton's been out of had an off game, it's very noticeable.

So the priorities for me would be to get in another striker (and obviously ship out one or two of the others, especially if we can count on Akheem to play more next season) and see if we can find an attacking midfielder or winger who can cross well (I feel we lost a bit on crosses when Pringle left).  I'd expect Max Wright and Whitehouse to be featuring next season and I don't think any of us worry too much about Hessenthaler or Clifton, so an attacking wide player might be the best option.

I also think MJ will need to think carefully about his new captain.  I know we all love Macca and he can be trusted, but I'm not a fan of having the keeper as captain as he's often too far away from play to influence much.  We're still too naive in the way we manage referees and situations in games, and need to be a lot more nasty and cynical in playing for stoppages, injuries, getting opponents booked and winning dubious free-kicks and penalties.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
April 13, 2019, 11:39am
Guest User
I'd like someone like Scott Cuthbert, he didn't stop talking to his players. He marshaled his defence really well and helped see the game out. Macca is a good keeper but he slows the game down too much and his passing is woeful.
Reply: 17 - 18
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2019, 11:58am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
I actually think the Defence is OK.  I think the stats show that we're not necessarily bad at defending, but have just been doing so much defending that conceding is inevitable.  Much of the pressure comes from not having the ball ourselves higher up the pitch and being on the attack, so counterintuitively the best way to staunch the flow of goals would be to have more creativity in midfield and get in a good striker.

A huge shame that Wes has turned out to be a disruption because he's been pretty good, at least during the good phases.  When Embleton's been out of had an off game, it's very noticeable.

So the priorities for me would be to get in another striker (and obviously ship out one or two of the others, especially if we can count on Akheem to play more next season) and see if we can find an attacking midfielder or winger who can cross well (I feel we lost a bit on crosses when Pringle left).  I'd expect Max Wright and Whitehouse to be featuring next season and I don't think any of us worry too much about Hessenthaler or Clifton, so an attacking wide player might be the best option.

I also think MJ will need to think carefully about his new captain.  I know we all love Macca and he can be trusted, but I'm not a fan of having the keeper as captain as he's often too far away from play to influence much.  We're still too naive in the way we manage referees and situations in games, and need to be a lot more nasty and cynical in playing for stoppages, injuries, getting opponents booked and winning dubious free-kicks and penalties.

Pretty much how I see it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next years squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.