P : 21
W : 6
D : 8
L : 7
F : 29 (1.38 goal/game)
A : 31
GD : -2 (-0.09 GD/game)
Pts : 26 (1.24 pts/game)

In the last 10 seasons the team finishing in 7th (final play-off place) has achieved between 68 & 75 points with the average being 71.2 pts. To achieve 72 points over 46 games you need to accumulate points at a rate of 1.56 pts/game. Jolley has achieved 1.25 pts/game. And worrying he achieved 1.50 in his 10 matches at the end of last season. This season he has so far achieved 1.19 pts/game - less than Sol Campbell has managed since taking over a Macclesfield Town side who were considered dead and buried when he took over.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
GollyGTFC
April 10, 2019, 9:15am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Oh and it's worth noting that there were only 3 player contracts at the start of the season which pre-dated Jolley's arrival:- JJ Hooper, Mitch Rose & Harry Cardwell, He discarded Hooper in October, Mitch Rose in January & handed Cardwell a contract extension in January. The whole squad is his. He either signed the player, extended their contract or activated pre-existing extension clauses. He hasn't had to deal with dross left over by Slade.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 12
Northbank Mariner
April 10, 2019, 9:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,390
Gold Stars: 170
Well the facts don't lie...we should've employed the egotistical Sol then ..
Worryingly though is MJs statistics, just shows we haven't really progressed under his tenure and he's now all but a season and a third into football management in the EFL...
Time to concentrate and hone our style of play and stop frigging about with formations/players because he thinks too hard and long about how to combat the opposition.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
GollyGTFC
April 10, 2019, 10:00am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
I wasn’t suggesting Sol Campbell as the answer. I was merely pointing out his results with the dross he inherited are better than Jolley has achieved with a squad he assembled and are all at GTFC because he wants them.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 12
Northbank Mariner
April 10, 2019, 11:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,390
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I wasn’t suggesting Sol Campbell as the answer. I was merely pointing out his results with the dross he inherited are better than Jolley has achieved with a squad he assembled and are all at GTFC because he wants them.

Oh, neither was I, it was a satirical statement and I get where you were going with the thread..
If I'm honest, has Jolley done anything to improve our statistics over his tenure?..not really, imho he got lucky in those last 10 games last season with some pretty dodgy awards of penalties and the fact Barnet and chesterfield were dire all season.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
Mariner Timsky
April 10, 2019, 11:20am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
So he came in last season, kept us up with Slades mess of a squad, , , he's had a full season this season to basically play Football Manager, , , so let him have this one , , its been well , , , a write off!  , it's a season where we won't be rushing out for the DVD highlights put it that way , , ,  he has now got his 2nd pre season coming up and the summer to sign players , , ,

Give him say what 10 maybe 12 games?? , , , ,  and if then we have started just like this one , , then unfortunately nothing will have changed , , , its a MUST to hit the ground running in August , , , no messing about with just on win all month and then ZERO wins the following month into the new season , , , , 2019/2020 MJ has to shine and show us what he's about, , , ,right now at this moment -  it's boring, un-inspiring, pointless, spineless, gutless and feel free to add more! , , , , ,

But tbf we have seen glimpses of what can be , , , , we just need more of that!!! MJ show us something, , excite us! Give us a team to be proud about , , give us more than 4 league wins in a row!! Don't be just another man to give this job a go and leave with what if' maybe's be that man to have led OUR CLUB to something great , , something to make us proud, , , and MJ you can and WILL be a legend

UTM
GTID

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
FishOutOfWater
April 10, 2019, 1:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from GollyGTFC

But at the end of last season MJ did better with the dross he inherited than Sol is doing currently

Give Sol another season at Macclesfield and he might do better than his initial "impact" has achieved or he might do worse

Interesting complilation of stats to be fair, but to me they don't prove too much other than you can interpret them any way you want to  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 12
arryarryarry
April 11, 2019, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

But at the end of last season MJ did better with the dross he inherited than Sol is doing currently

Give Sol another season at Macclesfield and he might do better than his initial "impact" has achieved or he might do worse

Interesting complilation of stats to be fair, but to me they don't prove too much other than you can interpret them any way you want to  

On that basis you could say that the "dross" he inherited from RS are better that the players he has brought in.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
FishOutOfWater
April 11, 2019, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from arryarryarry

On that basis you could say that the "dross" he inherited from RS are better that the players he has brought in.

Very true 'Arry

As we all know you can portray anything with stats so while they're interesting pointers, they don't really prove anything except that you can interpret them how you want  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 12
rancido
April 11, 2019, 1:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,445
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Russell Slade - 38 league games as GTFC manager

P : 38
W : 11
D : 10
L : 17
F : 38 (1 goal/game)
A : 56
GD : -18 (-0.47 GD/game)
Pts : 43 (1.13 pts/game)

Michael Jolley - 51 league games as GTFC manager

P : 51
W : 18
D : 10
L : 23
F : 52 (1.02 goal/game)
A : 65
GD : -13 (-0.25 GD/game)
Pts : 64 (1.25 pts/game)

Sol Campbell - 21 league games as MTFC manager

P : 21
W : 6
D : 8
L : 7
F : 29 (1.38 goal/game)
A : 31
GD : -2 (-0.09 GD/game)
Pts : 26 (1.24 pts/game)

In the last 10 seasons the team finishing in 7th (final play-off place) has achieved between 68 & 75 points with the average being 71.2 pts. To achieve 72 points over 46 games you need to accumulate points at a rate of 1.56 pts/game. Jolley has achieved 1.25 pts/game. And worrying he achieved 1.50 in his 10 matches at the end of last season. This season he has so far achieved 1.19 pts/game - less than Sol Campbell has managed since taking over a Macclesfield Town side who were considered dead and buried when he took over.

I would prefer to judge these stats if the sample number was the same ie same number of games. As in all statistics when it comes to comparisons you have to compare like for like

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
Kris2
April 11, 2019, 8:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Well sort of wants them  

Most of his first choice players in the summer and in January knocked him back because we wasn't offering anything comparable to other teams talking to them. The only ones that didn't turn us down were the Swedish guys who are looking for a way into English football and don't mind low wages in the hope of impressing scouts.

This is what he's achieved with what players he can get to sign for us.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 12
Bristol Mariner
April 11, 2019, 8:56pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Well go and fiddle with your stats you useless twit. Adorn posters of Sol in your bedroom and be happy

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 12
monkeyboy
April 12, 2019, 10:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
You get what you pay for!

I personally think next season will be a good one, he got players in that are cheapish. he got rid of some that did not work out. he Welsh who on paper should have been one of the best players in the league.
Been unlucky in some respects with Welsh and Whitehouse, if both of those had been fit and firing it could have been very different this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Some statistics to contemplate

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.