Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from arryarryarry
So that's 3 out of 92 clubs.

"Sir Alex Ferguson, one game away from the sack..."

Mmmm comparing MJ with a manager that had already won the European Cup Winners Cup plus had been offered several jobs at major English clubs before he even went to Man.U.

Nigel Adkins at Hull...looked doomed in November and fans wanted him gone

I think some Hull fans would still like him gone.

So you would have kept with Mike Newell and Russell Slade?

Sean dyche Burnley
Eddie Howe Bournemouth
Keith hill Rochdale
John Coleman Accrington
John Askey Macclesfield

Not all still there but all had success and took their clubs above where they probably should be and all given time to do so. Some had money some didn’t but their clubs stuck by them when times weren’t rosy. There are probably more that I can’t be bothered to think about.

Also, not sure any one was comparing MJ to Ferguson and as for fans wanting Adkins gone, there are already manure fans calling for solskjaer to go, but that’s the fickle nature of the football fan for you.

Having a manger for a long time does not guarantee success, but swapping them every season so a new man can come in, swap all the team for ones that fit his style very rarely works. The only 2 times I have seen this work is Chelsea and Watford, so more examples of relative success (for the level and expectations of the club) if you keep a manager for a decent period of time, than if you keep swapping all the time.

It is only my opinion of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
Northbank Mariner
April 9, 2019, 9:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from arryarryarry
So that's 3 out of 92 clubs.

"Sir Alex Ferguson, one game away from the sack..."

Mmmm comparing MJ with a manager that had already won the European Cup Winners Cup plus had been offered several jobs at major English clubs before he even went to Man.U.

Nigel Adkins at Hull...looked doomed in November and fans wanted him gone

I think some Hull fans would still like him gone.

So you would have kept with Mike Newell and Russell Slade?

Who's comparing??...
You made a statement regarding about teams who often stuck by a manager when it looked like it was all doom and gloom.. to paraphrase...
And, might I add that nearly all the 'Ull fans I know want him to stay and the Allams to sod off.  
So I make one comparison, would we rather keep MJ and for Fenty and Co to sod off??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
arryarryarry
April 9, 2019, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Posh Harry

Sean dyche Burnley Probably a few games away from the sack every season but has kept an unfashionable club in the Premiership.

Eddie Howe Bournemouth Has he ever come under real pressure at Bournemouth? And if he didn't have the millions ploughed into the club and they were in the bottom 3 would he still be in a job?

Keith hill Rochdale  Already sacked by Rochdale and have just beaten Accrington to go out of the bottom 4

John Coleman Accrington  Another manager keeping virtually a non league outfit in the League and hitting above their weight but he soon could be on his way.

John Askey Macclesfield  As above but he wasn't backed by the board and left.

Not all still there but all had success and took their clubs above where they probably should be and all given time to do so. Some had money some didn’t but their clubs stuck by them when times weren’t rosy. There are probably more that I can’t be bothered to think about.

Also, not sure any one was comparing MJ to Ferguson and as for fans wanting Adkins gone, there are already manure fans calling for solskjaer to go, but that’s the fickle nature of the football fan for you.

Having a manger for a long time does not guarantee success, but swapping them every season so a new man can come in, swap all the team for ones that fit his style very rarely works. The only 2 times I have seen this work is Chelsea and Watford, so more examples of relative success (for the level and expectations of the club) if you keep a manager for a decent period of time, than if you keep swapping all the time.

It is only my opinion of course.

Not sure what exact point you are trying to make but I have tried to answer as best as I can. I am not currently saying we should sack MJ but if our current form continues into next season for a few months then for me he should go.

You could also say that for every club that was relegated would they have stayed up if they had sacked the manager at the time.

I just think the original post that seemed to suggest that because Norwich are doing well this season with far better finances and support  that we should not consider changing our manager was silly. Every club is different and as has previously been mentioned because we stuck with a manager when things were going badly we ended up spending 6 years in hell.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
Abdul19
April 9, 2019, 9:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
The juniors he brought in had more idea of how to do that than he did. In fairness Farke has learnt on the job and his best attribute is knowing when to leave well alone.

His team is romping to the title playing great football and his best attribute is doing fuck all? I'm glad you're not my boss, Ron

(Also, they only had only 3 players on Saturday aged 21 and under)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
jamesgtfc
April 9, 2019, 10:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
There is a huge gulf between the 2 leagues but the principle remains the same in that Farke has had to cut his cloth accordingly. We probably won't receive a transfer fee for any of our players this summer but we will be expected to wheel and deal.

A moment of luck has probably saved Farke his job and like Wagner at Huddersfield I anticipate he will be a victim of his own success when Norwich struggle next season.

I heard on Humberside at the weekend that every club in the bottom 8 of League 1 has changed their manager at some stage this season at least once.

Mistakes have been made this season but very rarely is a good team built immediately. Under Slade Mk I we finished 18th and then 4th. Under Scott and Hurst we finished 11th before becoming perennial play off failures. MJ is midway through his build, if someone else was to come in now we would more than likely finish in the bottom 6 again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 9, 2019, 10:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Abdul19

His team is romping to the title playing great football and his best attribute is doing fuck all? I'm glad you're not my boss, Ron

(Also, they only had only 3 players on Saturday aged 21 and under)

I did say it was the players who came in who changed the tempo. A bit like England in a way, youth has that effect. Farke seems to accept the need to move the ball quicker now. He was quite brave to stick with the kids early in the season though.They have had a few injuries of late but the pattern of play has stayed the same. Even Delia is impressed I believe.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
TownSNAFU5
April 9, 2019, 11:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,859
Gold Stars: 42
Farke is a former Dortmund reserves manager - top of league,
Lambert, at Ipswich,  is a former Dortmund player - bottom of league.

Same in the Prem:
Klopp former Dortmund manager - top of league
Siewert at Huddersfield is a former Dortmund reserves manager - bottom of the Prem.
(As was Wagner, their previous manager).

Good and bad from Dortmund it seems.f
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
KingstonMariner
April 10, 2019, 12:14am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Farke is a former Dortmund reserves manager - top of league,
Lambert, at Ipswich,  is a former Dortmund player - bottom of league.

Same in the Prem:
Klopp former Dortmund manager - top of league
Siewert at Huddersfield is a former Dortmund reserves manager - bottom of the Prem.
(As was Wagner, their previous manager).

Good and bad from Dortmund it seems.f

Considering their relative resources, does that really indicate a bad manager, or just Huddersfield being roughly where you'd expect them?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Norwich City

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.