psgmariner
April 9, 2019, 12:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Anyway, I'm no more worried about the club than I was 3 months ago, or two years ago come to that.

Performances are bound to take a dip when the team is changed around. We've got injuries. There's a bit of experimentation going on. There's nothing to play for. Players won't risk further injury with nothing at stake.

We're neither as good as some of us thought we were when we were on the good run (hopeless optimist? Guilty m'lud), nor as bad as people think now we're on a bad run.

Board, underwhelmed? Yes.
Worried? No. Not in the short-term anyway.
Still critical of the regime? Yes. Undoubtedly.

Works on a few levels that.

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
KingstonMariner
April 9, 2019, 1:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from psgmariner

Works on a few levels that.

Ah, Freudian slip.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
Croxton
April 9, 2019, 2:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Croton, I set that thread up, purely based on what I saw last night..
I agree the main threads should be about GTFC but I am so angry about the state of our once great club and also the absolute garbage we are being dished up week in week out that I needed to change tac and talk about something with a positive tilt...
Sick to my back teeth with clubs smaller than ours that certainly do not have the staunch support we give ours going on to bigger and better things, always moving forward and when things regress acting faster than our board appear to want to...
Stuck in the dark ages with no light shining at the end of tunnel of gloom!!..
For the first time in nearly 45 years of following and supporting GTFC I actually considered turning my back in them and taking up needle work classes on a Saturday afternoon...
I honestly cannot take much more of the sick to the bottom stomachs feeling I keep getting on not just match days but every time I open up this app or discuss the demise of Grimsby Town Football Club..
Sad, sad times..

No personal offence intended Northbank. Just totally fed up with MJ's blanishments and the lack of leadership both on and off the pitch. I don't think all the players are on the beach but several were at odds with themselves and each other far too early on in the game. When things aren't going for you, one has to concentrate on one's own game before mouthing off at a team mate.
Jolley can move the magnets around but can he motivate people?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
Northbank Mariner
April 9, 2019, 3:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,388
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Croxton

No personal offence intended Northbank. Just totally fed up with MJ's blanishments and the lack of leadership both on and off the pitch. I don't think all the players are on the beach but several were at odds with themselves and each other far too early on in the game. When things aren't going for you, one has to concentrate on one's own game before mouthing off at a team mate.

I see where you are coming from, I think the Wes Thomas affair is more of a reflection of the truth of how the players are feeling...maybe they've had enough of Mr Tactically Masterclass and just can't be arsed with the hum drum of the statements being blurted out week after week..
Don't want to say they've downed tools, as that would be very unprofessional of professional footballers, but it looks that way to me..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 9, 2019, 3:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I see where you are coming from, I think the Wes Thomas affair is more of a reflection of the truth of how the players are feeling...maybe they've had enough of Mr Tactically Masterclass and just can't be arsed with the hum drum of the statements being blurted out week after week..
Don't want to say they've downed tools, as that would be very unprofessional of professional footballers, but it looks that way to me..

You can only talk the talk for so long .... then you have to walk, one way or another.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
Northbank Mariner
April 9, 2019, 3:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,388
Gold Stars: 170

You can only talk the talk for so long .... then you have to walk, one way or another.

Players lose you games, not tactics. There’s so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes." Brian Clough

..... says it all RRFC...no more words needed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
Bigdog
April 9, 2019, 3:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Croxton

He clearly can, the evidence was there for all to see at the end of last season. But then again it was a clear and identifiable target of staying in the league. The problem is what were we aiming for this season? Jolley was measuring the number of home wins compared to last season the other day and finishing higher than last season's points total. Hardly definitive targets that players can buy into and get up for let alone the fans. Winning ten home matches instead of six or finishing 14th instead of 18th are practically meaningless and you end up with a rudderless ship and 3k home fans every week which cuts the next season's budget. Whatever the playing budget is, our target has to be either survival or play-offs, anything else is meaningless in this division and there's that little difference in playing budgets except the very top and bottom to make much of a difference in setting a target or not. Sometimes a statement of intent can work wonders and sharpen intensity rather than worrying about if that statement of intent backfires. This season without a target has backfired anyway, so not having one doesn't work. What's the target for 2019/20 MJ? "Um.. well, we'd like to win more home games than last season and finish in a higher position than last season too so progression can be put on my CV." Do you think those targets will motivate the players enough and get fans buying season tickets to provide you with a healthy enough playing budget? "Well, I don't think it is right to put added pressure on the players to set any further targets" So if you don't think you're confident enough to set a target of being one of the 10 out of the 24 teams in this division chasing a promotion or play off spot and you don't think the players you've signed could cope with those targets, what is the point of you being here, the players being here or other than the true diehard fans turning up? "Well um.."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
GrimRob
April 9, 2019, 4:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
When was the last time in the Football League we started with the same manager as we finished with? How many times have we managed that in the last 20 years? It is pretty depressing at the moment and we're in a bit of a limbo, but at least we have a bit of continuity and hopefully the management team will have learned something positive about this season which they can take into the next one.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 39
Abdul19
April 9, 2019, 4:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
2007/08. A season that started and ended with bad runs, so very similar.

Just hope MJ doesn't sign Matt Heywood in the summer.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
jock dock tower
April 9, 2019, 4:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Whatever happens in the rest of the season the club simply has to go for broke these last few games to spark and retain interest for next season. That, and a shakeup at the very top of the boardroom as well. If only.......

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.