4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Croxton
April 9, 2019, 9:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Only six other users logged on when I opened the Fishy today and lead thread is about a Chelsea player. We have a non footy section so why not a non GTFC category too? At least the Lincoln obsessives can say they are in our division. Has the moribund state of the Club affected The Fishy too? Is the season over?
Saturday saw another canary fall from it's perch but we seem to ignore the warnings from the small explosion after the Oldham game. I don't buy the 'discussions take place in all dressing rooms' guff. The oxygen of honesty is urgently required down the Mariners pit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Northbank Mariner
April 9, 2019, 10:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Croton, I set that thread up, purely based on what I saw last night..
I agree the main threads should be about GTFC but I am so angry about the state of our once great club and also the absolute garbage we are being dished up week in week out that I needed to change tac and talk about something with a positive tilt...
Sick to my back teeth with clubs smaller than ours that certainly do not have the staunch support we give ours going on to bigger and better things, always moving forward and when things regress acting faster than our board appear to want to...
Stuck in the dark ages with no light shining at the end of tunnel of gloom!!..
For the first time in nearly 45 years of following and supporting GTFC I actually considered turning my back in them and taking up needle work classes on a Saturday afternoon...
I honestly cannot take much more of the sick to the bottom stomachs feeling I keep getting on not just match days but every time I open up this app or discuss the demise of Grimsby Town Football Club..
Sad, sad times..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 9, 2019, 10:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,503
Gold Stars: 64
To be honest I think a lot of fans may be feeling like myself, nonplussed!

In many ways this season is over and has been for a number of weeks and given that I am finding the approach by MJ, a former youth team coach for many years very confusing. In particular why did Pollock not start on Saturday why was Wright not recalled and given a game, why was Burrell not given at least 20 minutes?

He has, somewhat surprisingly, given Cardwell an extended contract and if he has faith in him why not play him up top in his preferred position to at least give the guy a chance to impress.

Why play Davis in midfield? Why play Clifton if he has an ongoing injury?

Whilst he is not making the wholesale tactical changes MB introduced his weekly tweaks in tactics, players and forward formations are an indication that he is far from having a style and system that town will play. In many ways he has the worst traits of Hurst, worries about the opposition too much & home games are something to be endured rather than enjoyed, MB, tactical changes and playing people out of position and Slade, never accepts responsibility for continuing poor results and continues to play in a style that is simply not working.

Like many after the Newport game and the superb way Hendrie and RHJ stormed down that right to create numerous opportunities that MJ had finally introduced his style of play. Since those two have hardly played together in the same way and as good as that performance was little did we realise how little Focus Newport had on that day prior to playing Man City.

To sum up I am now somewhat downhearted as I really don’t know what MJ is about!! He may still prove to be an excellent Manager but like many starting to wonder whether that will be for us as to date there is no evidence that he is learning from his mistakes.

Big summer ahead but at present I have little optimism but let’s hope I am wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
marinerdazza
April 9, 2019, 10:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80

I wrote a really long (probably boring) post and deleted it.

Put simply, if he wants to play 3-5-2, he needs to get the right players in. If he doesn't want to play 3-5-2, he still needs to get the right players in.

There's been some bad luck, and some bad signings. We're down to the bare bones. I expect better. Summer will tell us where we're going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
lew chaterleys lover
April 9, 2019, 10:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
To be honest I think a lot of fans may be feeling like myself, nonplussed!

In many ways this season is over and has been for a number of weeks and given that I am finding the approach by MJ, a former youth team coach for many years very confusing. In particular why did Pollock not start on Saturday why was Wright not recalled and given a game, why was Burrell not given at least 20 minutes?

He has, somewhat surprisingly, given Cardwell an extended contract and if he has faith in him why not play him up top in his preferred position to at least give the guy a chance to impress.

Why play Davis in midfield? Why play Clifton if he has an ongoing injury?

Whilst he is not making the wholesale tactical changes MB introduced his weekly tweaks in tactics, players and forward formations are an indication that he is far from having a style and system that town will play. In many ways he has the worst traits of Hurst, worries about the opposition too much & home games are something to be endured rather than enjoyed, MB, tactical changes and playing people out of position and Slade, never accepts responsibility for continuing poor results and continues to play in a style that is simply not working.

Like many after the Newport game and the superb way Hendrie and RHJ stormed down that right to create numerous opportunities that MJ had finally introduced his style of play. Since those two have hardly played together in the same way and as good as that performance was little did we realise how little Focus Newport had on that day prior to playing Man City.

To sum up I am now somewhat downhearted as I really don’t know what MJ is about!! He may still prove to be an excellent Manager but like many starting to wonder whether that will be for us as to date there is no evidence that he is learning from his mistakes.

Big summer ahead but at present I have little optimism but let’s hope I am wrong.

I think the manager is going the way of many others - managers and players - he seems to have lost a bit of faith in the club.

We need a change at the top to galavaise the club and the public. If none is forthcoming then we will continue to plod along.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
Yoda
April 9, 2019, 10:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,912
Gold Stars: 62
MJ is obviously a wealthy guy working for a city bank.

With us on the brink of the playoffs just to falter and drop to just above the relegation zone.

Has MJ got the hunger or the drive to become a top manager.

I have my doubts if we don’t win any of the next three games maybe it’s time for a change.
We don’t want him wasting another seasons budget and getting a new manager in the new season.

Very worried.!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
moosey_club
April 9, 2019, 11:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Season is over, interest is waning as a result....i have for the last 4 weeks had at least one offer of a season ticket that wasn't going to be used by its owner, i had to turn two other ST offers down a couple of weeks back  such was the lack of enthusiasm amongst the holders.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 9, 2019, 11:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Yoda

With us on the brink of the playoffs just to falter and drop to just above the relegation zone.

I have my doubts if we don’t win any of the next three games maybe it’s time for a change.
We don’t want him wasting another seasons budget and getting a new manager in the new season.

Very worried.!

When MJ was appointed last summer I posted that he looked modern and trendy, had all the right credentials and said all the right things but that he had no experience of managing in England and had changed jobs as often as his socks. Nothing that he has done this season has changed my mind. In fact I would not be surprised to see him leave before he gets pushed, probably back to some coaching job.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
KingstonMariner
April 9, 2019, 12:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Yoda

Very worried.!

That's probably way off the mark. He gave up banking years ago and I doubt his years as a youth coach has brought him in much money. He's probably spent a large chunk of whatever pot he'd built up.

Secondly, you don't give up a well paid job to pursue your dream only to go lukewarm on it when you get your first proper managerial job in this country after years of scrabbling around the country running kids coaching (yes I know he did the Burnley job).

Thirdly, plenty of football managers on much more than Jolley (and have pots in the bank) still have lots of drive. They get where they are precisely because they are driven people and can't turn it off when they make money.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
KingstonMariner
April 9, 2019, 12:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Anyway, I'm no more worried about the club than I was 3 months ago, or two years ago come to that.

Performances are bound to take a dip when the team is changed around. We've got injuries. There's a bit of experimentation going on. There's nothing to play for. Players won't risk further injury with nothing at stake.

We're neither as good as some of us thought we were when we were on the good run (hopeless optimist? Guilty m'lud), nor as bad as people think now we're on a bad run.

Board, underwhelmed? Yes.
Worried? No. Not in the short-term anyway.
Still critical of the regime? Yes. Undoubtedly.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fishy Torpor

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.