Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hard to see where the next win is this season.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 125 Guests

Hard to see where the next win is this season.

This thread currently has 6,219 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
April 7, 2019, 5:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Well from a side with hope there as been an alarming slump in form yet again.

Our ability NOT to score as been so obvious we can play decent but if you only create one or two chances a game your going to get beat more times than not.

For all Collins misgivings on pace I have seen him more than once look frustrated at the lack of options he as whist on the ball.

Where are is the movement and players in midfield who actually WANT the ball??  

I don't like this sitting back mentality it is too negative gives to much impetuous and confidence to the opposition.

Usually like to have a half full glass but this is really testing my resolve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
April 7, 2019, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Well from a side with hope there as been an alarming slump in form yet again.

Our ability NOT to score as been so obvious we can play decent but if you only create one or two chances a game your going to get beat more times than not.

For all Collins misgivings on pace I have seen him more than once look frustrated at the lack of options he as whist on the ball.

Where are is the movement and players in midfield who actually WANT the ball??  

I don't like this sitting back mentality it is too negative gives to much impetuous and confidence to the opposition.

Usually like to have a half full glass but this is really testing my resolve.

I was frustrated at his lack of pace for their first goal and his lack of ability in defending their second.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
promotion plaice
April 7, 2019, 9:35pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,043
Gold Stars: 197

I somehow get the feeling from the thread title that we are shite  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
RonMariner
April 8, 2019, 2:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,656
Gold Stars: 226
One step at a time, please.........

Where will our next goal come from?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
golfer
April 8, 2019, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,426
Gold Stars: 115
We don't have the players to play the system that jolly wants. We are set up too defensively.We are only able to defend and hope that we get a break. Look at corners-everybody in our box and if we get the ball out it's going to come straight back. If we had 2 players forward they would have to mark us meaning less of their players in our box. A midfield doesn't have to stay in the centre of the pitch. Get rid of Collins and our centre backs aren't too slow so they can come further up the pitch enabling our midfield to give more support to the attack. Doesn't Jolly realise that if you attack the other team has to defend and you only score goals when you attack and concede goals when the other team attacks  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 8, 2019, 4:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RonMariner
One step at a time, please.........

Where will our next goal come from?

That will arrive around the same time we see that "pressing game" we were promised.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
Northbank Mariner
April 8, 2019, 4:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171

That will arrive around the same time we see that "pressing game" we were promised.

Alongside the "high energy & tempo" style of play!!..never heard so much twaddle in all my born years..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
jamesgtfc
April 8, 2019, 5:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,950
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Alongside the "high energy & tempo" style of play!!..never heard so much twaddle in all my born years..

To be fair the front 3 were pressing really well at the start on Saturday. The pressure is on MJ next season for this high pressing attacking game we were promised with 2 strikers.

I got told before the game on Saturday that we have scored 1 or less in 32 games this season. 16 (now 17) of those we have failed to score and that is unacceptable. A quarter of our goals came in 2 games (Tranmere and Notts County). If you take those 2 games out of the equation our statistics are shameful and must be addressed in the summer.

If we start next season like we started this one it seems inevitable that the axe will fall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
lew chaterleys lover
April 8, 2019, 7:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,708
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jamesgtfc

To be fair the front 3 were pressing really well at the start on Saturday. The pressure is on MJ next season for this high pressing attacking game we were promised with 2 strikers.

I got told before the game on Saturday that we have scored 1 or less in 32 games this season. 16 (now 17) of those we have failed to score and that is unacceptable. A quarter of our goals came in 2 games (Tranmere and Notts County). If you take those 2 games out of the equation our statistics are shameful and must be addressed in the summer.

If we start next season like we started this one it seems inevitable that the axe will fall.

Those stats don't surprise me. I have said once or twice on here, sort of in jest, that we wait patiently in the Pontoon for us to even get the ball in the box. I have never seen a side so lacking in energy to attack the goal; we seem happy to pass it about in triangles in the middle third, but there is no urgency to get the ball in the areas where it matters. On the rare occasion we do get the ball in the box, there aren't enough bodies in there to make it count.

A big rethink is needed for next season, or perhaps the remainder of this, as we need to address the most basic aspect of football - scoring goals. It looks too much like training exercises and not enough desire to win.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
RoboCod
April 8, 2019, 9:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505

Those stats don't surprise me. I have said once or twice on here, sort of in jest, that we wait patiently in the Pontoon for us to even get the ball in the box. I have never seen a side so lacking in energy to attack the goal; we seem happy to pass it about in triangles in the middle third, but there is no urgency to get the ball in the areas where it matters. On the rare occasion we do get the ball in the box, there aren't enough bodies in there to make it count.

A big rethink is needed for next season, or perhaps the remainder of this, as we need to address the most basic aspect of football - scoring goals. It looks too much like training exercises and not enough desire to win.

And yet we went through a phase where we worked the ball really well and either put awkward early diagonal crosses in or got to the byline and pulled it back. Wes was heading them in/swivelling and shooting and a couple of own goals were scored by opposition defenders unable to cope with the crosses.
Then it stopped.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
jamesgtfc
April 8, 2019, 9:24pm
Vodka Drinker

I get the use of triangles and patiently playing the ball with the aim of forcing a mistake from the opposition but there is very little movement. I don't expect every cross to be great but it is a numbers game and if you put enough of them into the box, the likelihood of scoring increases.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
Madeleymariner
April 8, 2019, 9:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
The problem with the triangles most of the time is we have 4 players involved all stood 2 yards from each other, rather than 5-10 yards and constantly crossing each others path or spinning away.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
Tommy
April 9, 2019, 1:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
A lot of people referencing the "high tempo, high pressing, attacking football we were promised."

Except it wasn't was it.

MJ was asked questions last season about preferred styles of play and formations etc, and he responded by saying that he likes to play with 2 strikers and likes a team to play with a lot of energy to press the opposition.

That wasn't a promise that his Grimsby Town side would do that. And of course it depends what players you've got as well, as to whether you can carry out certain styles of play. Nor was it a statement that we'll always play 2 up front. In fact most of his time here we've played with one main striker.

Just like the people that constantly bring up the "we're aiming to be in the championship in 5 years" line. When that wasn't what was said then either. It was more a throw-away comment and actually said "there's no reason why we couldn't be"

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
lew chaterleys lover
April 9, 2019, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,708
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RoboCod

And yet we went through a phase where we worked the ball really well and either put awkward early diagonal crosses in or got to the byline and pulled it back. Wes was heading them in/swivelling and shooting and a couple of own goals were scored by opposition defenders unable to cope with the crosses.
Then it stopped.

I know what you mean, but that is a small slice of the season - a very small slice. Our goals for column is absolutely shocking and 9 of those were scored in two games which I guess is when we were doing more attacking. The more I think about it, the worse it gets - how on earth can we win any games if we don't have any sustained pressure, don't make any chances and don't get the ball into the box, bar the snippets you mention?

We really will have to have a big rethink - I think season ticket sales will be very slow unless we see a more attacking intent and get some new players in, who are clearly and demonstrably a cut above what we have now, to carry it out.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
RoboCod
April 9, 2019, 2:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I know what you mean, but that is a small slice of the season - a very small slice. Our goals for column is absolutely shocking and 9 of those were scored in two games which I guess is when we were doing more attacking. The more I think about it, the worse it gets - how on earth can we win any games if we don't have any sustained pressure, don't make any chances and don't get the ball into the box, bar the snippets you mention?

We really will have to have a big rethink - I think season ticket sales will be very slow unless we see a more attacking intent and get some new players in, who are clearly and demonstrably a cut above what we have now, to carry it out.

That phase mentioned was also (for the most part) when Pringle was playing. It's dissapointing that we were expecting a faster more overlapping style when Ring joined and Pringle left. It could be that we are missing someone like Pringle who, while not tearing past fullbacks and being really exciting actually put quality crosses in that found people.
Over simplified I know, but we do seem to be at a stage we had earlier in the season when we just ran out of ideas in the oppositions half and no one demanded the ball to make things happen (we're also missing Embleton in this tbf)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
Tommy
April 9, 2019, 2:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
The worry is that we don't create enough chances.

Every game at the moment seems to be reflected on with a load of IFS and BUTS. In that we seem to have one or two good chances to score while the scores are still level, before later falling behind.

The problem is, these often end up being our only real chances. And we don't create any more later in the game once we've conceded a goal.

You can stomach the IFS and BUTS around not taking chances that would've changed the course of the game when it's the odd game in isolation. But when it's every week it's a deficiency with what we're doing.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
Mrs Doyle
April 10, 2019, 4:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
It's a game of fine lines but we need longer periods of sustained attack otherwise the opposition teams/managers realises we are there for the taking which has been the case for the majority of this season.

Against a really good side soaking up pressure and hitting on the break can be productive but against EVERY side it is so easy for teams to work us out.

I have heard it said more than once by our management and even our own players "we have to score goals." Too blooming right not least to take some pressure off the defence and to actually have something to defend but often it's the opposing defenders that have an easy day that is criminal and must change.

Our mind set does not seem right and that is something I hoped Jolley had addressed last season in the great escape.

I really want Jolley and co to do well as we all but our midfield and attack seem toothless we need to be more potent and at least win the ball keep more procession higher up field to press their defence for longer periods.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
Teestogreen
April 11, 2019, 5:53pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
The selection of the club captain and his recently known bad publicity probably hasn't gone down well in the dressing room. This was the 'signing of last summer' - upon which to build the team around. This guy has been hanging around the team all season. Pretty incredible 'the issue' was not spotted months earlier. PNE gave him a testimonial and glowing reference for a great career, after his apparent 'act' in Liverpool it seems.

Having signed Danny Collins for this season, he should have been the experienced club captain, in my view - no need for Welsh.

However, next season - no Welsh - no Collins - Town need leaders through the spine of the team.

Not sure that  GTFC  no what they are doing in terms of player recruitment.

Hard to see where the next win is next season, let alone this one.

Hope its at The Globe on Saturday but not holding breath.

UTM  

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
RoboCod
April 11, 2019, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
We've played Morecambe 11 times in the last 10 years. Depressing.
We've won just once in those 11 games.
Put in a non-display on Saturday against them Town and you'd better charge a fiver or less for the remaining games, heck, make that free for everyone on the last day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
Teestogreen
April 11, 2019, 7:36pm

Champagne Drinker
http://www.pnefc.net/news/2018/may/john-welsh-reflects-on-pne-career/

Thanks for the negative (not)- please view link - no mention of breaking any woman's leg 2 months before this article. Wouldn.t have followed up but have received a negative, so I have..

This is where Town went wrong this season, unfortunately.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
MuddyWaters
April 11, 2019, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Teestogreen

Thanks for the negative (not)- please view link - no mention of breaking any woman's leg 2 months before this article. Wouldn.t have followed up but have received a negative, so I have..

UTM

I’m sure that the management regret signing Welsh but it’s history and there’s not a lot can be done about it now.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
Abdul19
April 11, 2019, 9:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,551
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Teestogreen

UTM

Assuming he hadn't pled guilty at that point - why would an ongoing investigation be mentioned?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
Grantley
April 11, 2019, 9:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Teestogreen

UTM

What point are you trying to make? It seems pretty obvious no one except Welsh knew about, at Preston or GTFC

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
KingstonMariner
April 11, 2019, 11:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RoboCod

That phase mentioned was also (for the most part) when Pringle was playing. It's dissapointing that we were expecting a faster more overlapping style when Ring joined and Pringle left. It could be that we are missing someone like Pringle who, while not tearing past fullbacks and being really exciting actually put quality crosses in that found people.
Over simplified I know, but we do seem to be at a stage we had earlier in the season when we just ran out of ideas in the oppositions half and no one demanded the ball to make things happen (we're also missing Embleton in this tbf)

Many on here were glad to see the back of him. Shows you what we know.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
Teestogreen
April 12, 2019, 7:06pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

What point are you trying to make? It seems pretty obvious no one except Welsh knew about, at Preston or GTFC

Really! For nearly a year - doubt it.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
rancido
April 13, 2019, 1:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,569
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Teestogreen

Really! For nearly a year - doubt it.  

Surely that depends on when he was actually charged for the offence?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
Teestogreen
April 13, 2019, 9:02pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Surely that depends on when he was actually charged for the offence?

Yes - but he 'allegedly' asked the woman - whose leg he broke - did she know who he was? I suppose, if she didn't know, and he (and his family) didn't tell her who he was, then - yes -  he was quite within his rights to conceal this incident from PNE (his employer) (who gave him a royal send off)  and ultimately GTFC - who obviously PNE did not reveal any information to (if known to them relating to this incident)? Sad as it is.
Due diligence was not enough i.m.o.

UTM  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
jamesgtfc
April 13, 2019, 9:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Teestogreen

Yes - but he 'allegedly' asked the woman - whose leg he broke - did she know who he was? I suppose, if she didn't know, and he (and his family) didn't tell her who he was, then - yes -  he was quite within his rights to conceal this incident from PNE (his employer) (who gave him a royal send off)  and ultimately GTFC - who obviously PNE did not reveal any information to (if known to them relating to this incident)? Sad as it is.
Due diligence was not enough i.m.o.

UTM  

Very good assessment there. I would like to think that if PNE were aware, he would have quietly left the club with a short statement rather than the guard of honour he was given. Would this kind of thing even show up on an enhanced DBS check given that he had not been convicted?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
toontown
April 14, 2019, 1:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,259
Gold Stars: 70
If he had been charged then any semblance of decent due diligence would show this up   - the contract would just require that any legal actions underway be revealed. This is no different to when u take out insurance. Eg car insurance
Either the club is an amateur hour joke for not having such basic due diligence in its contractual agreements
Or Walsh revealed them and the club chose to ignore them until the guilty plea at the last minute
Or Walsh didn't reveal it and was in breach of contract

My money is on the second personally but I don't know
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hard to see where the next win is this season.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.