Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hard to see where the next win is this season.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 271 Guests

Hard to see where the next win is this season.

This thread currently has 6,218 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
April 7, 2019, 5:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Well from a side with hope there as been an alarming slump in form yet again.

Our ability NOT to score as been so obvious we can play decent but if you only create one or two chances a game your going to get beat more times than not.

For all Collins misgivings on pace I have seen him more than once look frustrated at the lack of options he as whist on the ball.

Where are is the movement and players in midfield who actually WANT the ball??  

I don't like this sitting back mentality it is too negative gives to much impetuous and confidence to the opposition.

Usually like to have a half full glass but this is really testing my resolve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
April 7, 2019, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Well from a side with hope there as been an alarming slump in form yet again.

Our ability NOT to score as been so obvious we can play decent but if you only create one or two chances a game your going to get beat more times than not.

For all Collins misgivings on pace I have seen him more than once look frustrated at the lack of options he as whist on the ball.

Where are is the movement and players in midfield who actually WANT the ball??  

I don't like this sitting back mentality it is too negative gives to much impetuous and confidence to the opposition.

Usually like to have a half full glass but this is really testing my resolve.

I was frustrated at his lack of pace for their first goal and his lack of ability in defending their second.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
promotion plaice
April 7, 2019, 9:35pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,997
Gold Stars: 193

I somehow get the feeling from the thread title that we are shite  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
RonMariner
April 8, 2019, 2:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
One step at a time, please.........

Where will our next goal come from?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
golfer
April 8, 2019, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
We don't have the players to play the system that jolly wants. We are set up too defensively.We are only able to defend and hope that we get a break. Look at corners-everybody in our box and if we get the ball out it's going to come straight back. If we had 2 players forward they would have to mark us meaning less of their players in our box. A midfield doesn't have to stay in the centre of the pitch. Get rid of Collins and our centre backs aren't too slow so they can come further up the pitch enabling our midfield to give more support to the attack. Doesn't Jolly realise that if you attack the other team has to defend and you only score goals when you attack and concede goals when the other team attacks  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 8, 2019, 4:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RonMariner
One step at a time, please.........

Where will our next goal come from?

That will arrive around the same time we see that "pressing game" we were promised.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
Northbank Mariner
April 8, 2019, 4:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171

That will arrive around the same time we see that "pressing game" we were promised.

Alongside the "high energy & tempo" style of play!!..never heard so much twaddle in all my born years..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
jamesgtfc
April 8, 2019, 5:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Alongside the "high energy & tempo" style of play!!..never heard so much twaddle in all my born years..

To be fair the front 3 were pressing really well at the start on Saturday. The pressure is on MJ next season for this high pressing attacking game we were promised with 2 strikers.

I got told before the game on Saturday that we have scored 1 or less in 32 games this season. 16 (now 17) of those we have failed to score and that is unacceptable. A quarter of our goals came in 2 games (Tranmere and Notts County). If you take those 2 games out of the equation our statistics are shameful and must be addressed in the summer.

If we start next season like we started this one it seems inevitable that the axe will fall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
lew chaterleys lover
April 8, 2019, 7:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,661
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from jamesgtfc

To be fair the front 3 were pressing really well at the start on Saturday. The pressure is on MJ next season for this high pressing attacking game we were promised with 2 strikers.

I got told before the game on Saturday that we have scored 1 or less in 32 games this season. 16 (now 17) of those we have failed to score and that is unacceptable. A quarter of our goals came in 2 games (Tranmere and Notts County). If you take those 2 games out of the equation our statistics are shameful and must be addressed in the summer.

If we start next season like we started this one it seems inevitable that the axe will fall.

Those stats don't surprise me. I have said once or twice on here, sort of in jest, that we wait patiently in the Pontoon for us to even get the ball in the box. I have never seen a side so lacking in energy to attack the goal; we seem happy to pass it about in triangles in the middle third, but there is no urgency to get the ball in the areas where it matters. On the rare occasion we do get the ball in the box, there aren't enough bodies in there to make it count.

A big rethink is needed for next season, or perhaps the remainder of this, as we need to address the most basic aspect of football - scoring goals. It looks too much like training exercises and not enough desire to win.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
RoboCod
April 8, 2019, 9:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505

Those stats don't surprise me. I have said once or twice on here, sort of in jest, that we wait patiently in the Pontoon for us to even get the ball in the box. I have never seen a side so lacking in energy to attack the goal; we seem happy to pass it about in triangles in the middle third, but there is no urgency to get the ball in the areas where it matters. On the rare occasion we do get the ball in the box, there aren't enough bodies in there to make it count.

A big rethink is needed for next season, or perhaps the remainder of this, as we need to address the most basic aspect of football - scoring goals. It looks too much like training exercises and not enough desire to win.

And yet we went through a phase where we worked the ball really well and either put awkward early diagonal crosses in or got to the byline and pulled it back. Wes was heading them in/swivelling and shooting and a couple of own goals were scored by opposition defenders unable to cope with the crosses.
Then it stopped.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hard to see where the next win is this season.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.