TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 3, 2019, 12:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from moosey_club

Unfortunately i think there are off the pitch things with him , an interview with Jolley a couple of weeks ago mentioned that .."they like Charles the player"..."like with all players there is a path to the first team " ....just made me think its NOT a question of ability that is keeping him out.
As he is on the bench and getting sub appearances i figure it isn't disciplinary or major issues but probably more personal fitness targets etc.

He is without doubt very talented, better than most we have seen on the ball in recent years. But why is he here? A player with his natural ability who was at a Championship club and then came “home” to L2 at the age of 20 doesn’t make much sense to me. He is fantastic at running at defenders but runs out of steam after a short time. I agree with you Moosey, there has to be more to this than we know or this lad would be a first team fixture even at 22.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 107
Mariner Timsky
April 3, 2019, 12:22pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Obvs never going to happen but a front 3 of A.Rose Dennis Vernam could do some real damage

Anything 'official' been released regarding Wexit??

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 107
sam gy
April 3, 2019, 1:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
I imagine we'll only start having Dennis lead the line for the rest of the season if theres genuine interest in him staying next season, from both parties.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 107
Bigdog
April 3, 2019, 1:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Obvs never going to happen but a front 3 of A.Rose Dennis Vernam could do some real damage

Anything 'official' been released regarding Wexit??

Given time and a run of games to boost confidence, those three could be a potent force and a real threat at this level. The big question is whether MJ can find the right blend in midfield and out wide next season to provide them with the ammo..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 107
RichMariner
April 3, 2019, 1:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Obviously a striker's goal tally at previous clubs is a good indication of his abilities but I'm sure I won't be the first fan to point out that Connell and Podge's goalscoring records prior to joining us were mediocre at best.

Let's face facts. A proven goalscorer at any level is like gold dust, so to get him on board is going to cost us money - either in transfer fees, or in wages, and possibly both. Then there's the issue of getting said player to continue that goalscoring form with us.

There are two routes MJ can take - either look at the blueprint of Connell and Podge and find a player that has a goalscoring ability but who isn't being deployed in the right role at their current club, or look for someone who knows how to find the back of the net in the league below, like Bogle and Hearn.

Either way, whoever we bring in, I think we need MJ and his staff to coach these players and get the best out of them. I'm a little concerned about Cardwell as he's been here nearly two years now and only has one league goal to his name. I appreciate he's young and hasn't ever been given a solid run in the team, but it has to be flagged.

Rose, we're told, has bags of potential, and if he comes recommended by Woods then that's good enough for me. But, again, he's only scored one goal. Vernam... well, I'm not convinced he's an out-and-out striker so I won't judge him on goals. But as the likes of Mick Boulding showed, he revelled in a striker role when Lennie initially signed him to do a job on the left. Groves played him through the middle with an intelligent striker in Allen and he thrived there.

I think we need a Gary Jones type striker in the summer - not necessarily to lump the ball too, but someone who has that football intelligence to bring others into play. They don't need to be Rhead-esque. Obviously they'll require some size and strength but I reckon that'll be the key to getting out the best of the young strike talent that we already possess.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 74 - 107
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 3, 2019, 1:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
We don't know who that "mark" signing was that Jolly just missed out on do we? My suspicion was that it was a striker and one known for being able to lead the line and  bring others into the game.

We all believed, rightly, that Thomas was signed as a stopgap,  but he became a regular by default because a) he scored a few goals and b) there was no-one else. Someone with more clubs than a grand slam bridge hand was never going to be the answer to our prayers.

However now that MJ knows the league, his budget and the calibre of players who might be persuaded to come to BP, he may do better this summer than last. At least we hope so.

After all, when he shows prospective signings round he can point at the new floodlights as symbols of the club's investment in a bright  future.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 107
londonmariner2
April 3, 2019, 1:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
I heard David Meyler from Reading was the 'mark signing'. He opted for Coventry instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 107
forza ivano
April 3, 2019, 3:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from londonmariner2
I heard David Meyler from Reading was the 'mark signing'. He opted for Coventry instead.

That's what i was told as well. I think Meyler may still have  a base in the Humberside area, is looking to move back and joining us in the summer is a definite possibility
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 107
scott_gtfc_89
April 3, 2019, 4:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Cardwell got a run in the team over Xmas of 5-6 games and did nothing so rose can’t do any less so let’s give him a try till end of season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 107
Northbank Mariner
April 3, 2019, 4:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,442
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from forza ivano

That's what i was told as well. I think Meyler may still have  a base in the Humberside area, is looking to move back and joining us in the summer is a definite possibility

He lives just outside of Hull and wants to come home for family reasons...rumour, and I emphasise rumour, has it that he'd already agreed to go on loan to Coventry before we approached him, he agreed to honour that loan deal but didn't rule a possible permanent move to  GY in the summer....and that rumour has come from Dean Windass's best mate...and no that mate's not a whiskey bottle!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wes Thomas

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.