Ipswin
April 1, 2019, 1:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Hopefully it'll be a quiet do....and not with your new found fame an opportunity for any star wars  

I sincerely hope its just me especially if I'm buying. I'm planning on a nice quiet haddock and chips, a couple of pints then the match then later I'm at a retirement do in some suite or other at BP in the evening

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
Biccys
April 1, 2019, 4:12pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

A bit sad to admit this I know, but as things stand I'd be happy to make 13th because it will be highest we've finished since the 2005-6 season... living the dream eh?  

That's one of the most depressing things I've ever read.....

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 15
denni266
April 1, 2019, 7:02pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
Its the same every year. We are rebuilding,, This rebuilding has been going on since i started supporting back in 1961, Its the only thing i can think of thats taking longer than this new ground thing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
diehardmariner
April 2, 2019, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,413
Gold Stars: 532
It's not so much the fact the season has fizzled out that annoys me, it's more the fact that we've shown what we can produce and then not backed it up with enough consistency to launch any sort of challenge.  But consistency is something that Jolley will clearly be trying to work on as part of making us a better team all round.

Pretty much unanimously we all, as fans, accepted that this season was going to be one of transition and rebuild.  Ignoring the frustrations with the current set-up and the lack of attacking threat, I think the rebuild is going quite well to be honest.  We've got a very decent spine in the side that's generally full of young legs and energy.  We lack a creative spark and real pace in the side, but I would imagine that Jolley has set about making us tough to beat first and then adding the more attacking intent later on.  

If we are to challenge next season, I think it's definitely a case of improving again rather than wholesale changes.  To quote something Jolley said after survival was achieved last season 'evolution not revolution', although that didn't quite happen...

A good left sided defender, an attack minded wingback for the left hand side (or even replicating what RHJ does on the right hand side of the defence with a left footed centre back), someone in midfield who can genuinely create and then a proper goalscorer.    Easier said than done and the last two especially don't tend to come cheap but with Welsh going and I wouldn't expect Collins or Thomas to remain, it does free up some of the budget.    That said the hints Jolley made about his budget does make me think will it be a case of having to use the likes of Rose, Buckley and Pollock a  bit more?
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
Mariner Timsky
April 2, 2019, 11:17am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Just the way we end these good runs is so frustrating as well, , , consistency is a massive part of a successful team just look at Lincoln, , , they don't particularly play that well they are just consistent at getting points

For example the decent run which ended with a us losing to Mansfield at home , , yes we was a bit patched up then but that decent run was followed by 5 defeats and no goals scored (yes I know one of them games was away to a Prem side)

And again the decent run which ended losing at home to Cambridge is where we are right now, , , win-less and only managed 2 goals in six games

Both of the above need to be addressed

After that draw at Swindon we really should of pushed on for a good finish but it is what it is - we wont go down but we could of had a more exciting finish - why settle for just about being safe

We showed something in what over a quarter of our games - it needs to be around half or half for us to be really competing - just feel it will always be the same but hope I'm wrong

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
bedders78
April 2, 2019, 12:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12
For all those saying we need to look at non-league goalscorers, have they noticed that striker at 15th placed Bromley?  11 in 17, 4 in his last 3.

On a more serious note, any idea how Bromley set up?  It certainly seems to agree with JJ as he's scoring at near Amond levels for a team doing worse than we were a couple of years ago.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fizzled out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.