6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
March 31, 2019, 10:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I don't think RHJ is good enough at full-back, personally. He seems to do decently as one of a back three as he's quickish and quite strong, but I'm not convinced by his positioning as full-back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
MuddyWaters
March 31, 2019, 10:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Maringer
I don't think RHJ is good enough at full-back, personally. He seems to do decently as one of a back three as he's quickish and quite strong, but I'm not convinced by his positioning as full-back.

I'm not convinced either but RHJ right back & Hendrie left is a better option that Hendrie right and Ring left IMHO.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 31, 2019, 10:42am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Think we kid ourselves on the prospective quality of our forwards as yet to be convinced by any of them. Do not understand giving Cardwell an extended contract as clearly not good enough, Cook tries hard but that alone is not sufficient to be a regular starter, Thomas has a reasonable goal return but whilst he will chase a few lost causes not a player who holds up the ball and yet to see him form any kind of relationship with a fellow striker or even the midfield. Vernam has bags of ability butI have commented more than once he appears to have really good twenty minute spells than completely disappears from the game. Ahkeem has some good pace and control but I have seen nothing to make me believe he is a serious scorer of goals. Early days for him and he could well be an excellent strike partner who scores around ten to twelve a year which is fine if we get a proven striker.

Add to this a need for at least three new midfield players, Whitehouse may be one, plus a left sided player and the building job is still pretty major IMO.

Agree with others that MJ is too big on the alleged quality of the opposition, reminds me of PH to be honest, and needs to focus more on town and making other teams worry about us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
hheh2
April 1, 2019, 9:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
A summer transfer window to reassess our qualities and build on our squad. We may not be lighting up the league at the end of the season but at least we're not in the position of last season.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
arryarryarry
April 1, 2019, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from hheh2
A summer transfer window to reassess our qualities and build on our squad. We may not be lighting up the league at the end of the season but at least we're not in the position of last season.

Isn't that what he did last summer?
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
louth_in_the_south
April 1, 2019, 10:16am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
I’m sure the managers can see where our deficiencies are and are already actively seeking replacements. They are ambitious forward thinking blokes who are relying on being successful here to further their careers so I’m not too worried about our performances now we’re safe . They were always going to need 2or 3 windows at least to turn things round . I think some people expect miracles over night but tbf to fenty he wasn’t going to be able to make a huge war chest available straight away as the books have to be balanced at the end of the day - hence it’s going to take a while to see the success we all want .
I’m looking forward to this summer as I can see some decent players coming in mixed with the young kids such as max wright and rose coming into the picture more .

*im basing a lot of the above on blind optimism

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
Mariner Timsky
April 1, 2019, 11:24am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I’m sure the managers can see where our deficiencies are and are already actively seeking replacements. They are ambitious forward thinking blokes who are relying on being successful here to further their careers so I’m not too worried about our performances now we’re safe . They were always going to need 2or 3 windows at least to turn things round . I think some people expect miracles over night but tbf to fenty he wasn’t going to be able to make a huge war chest available straight away as the books have to be balanced at the end of the day - hence it’s going to take a while to see the success we all want .
I’m looking forward to this summer as I can see some decent players coming in mixed with the young kids such as max wright and rose coming into the picture more .

*im basing a lot of the above on blind optimism

Did you hear about the blind optimistic funambulist??

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
RichMariner
April 1, 2019, 12:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,133
Gold Stars: 209
Let's not forget that Jolley is learning his trade. We knew what we were getting when we appointed him manager because he came with very little first-team management experience.

Now that he's almost got a full season under his belt, I reckon he'll know more about the club, the league and the overall conditions required to be a successful manager at this level than he did this time last year.

Whether he can implement this knowledge and make changes for the better will soon become clear.

One thing I will say is that Scott and Hurst didn't really achieve much in their first full season. They signed what was to be the backbone of our side for the next few years in McKeown, Pearson and Disley (plus Hearn, who'd have been great had his injury not ruined his time here). We finished 11th in 2011/12 and looked short of being a side that could push for promotion.

I think we're having that season. Jolley has probably tried and tested a lot of things since last summer (while keeping us clear of relegation). He's slowly cleared the clutter away, and I expect a few more will leave in May.

For me, he needs to bring in players who have games under their belt. The likes of Robles, Welsh and, dare I say, Cook haven't worked out because they just hadn't played enough games in the seasons before they joined us.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.