GollyGTFC
March 30, 2019, 8:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,978
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Simple, Jolleys record is better which equals improvement!!

Great. So Jolley being slightly less shite than Russell Slade is good enough is it?

I was sat at Oldham today wondering what Jolley has actually done to deserve the adulation he receives. It’s certainly not the football. It’s amazing how far a bit of good PR goes. Oh and not being Russell Slade has helped him too.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 57
promotion plaice
March 30, 2019, 8:30pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from Gaffer58
Not be to long before someone comes on here and writes" in Jolley we trust".

The jury is still out....six month rolling contract works for both.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 57
Marinerz93
March 30, 2019, 8:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I thought we were lacking in ideas and our passing is poor. Still waiting for Jolley's pressing and attacking football.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
MuddyWaters
March 30, 2019, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Marinerz93
I thought we were lacking in ideas and our passing is poor. Still waiting for Jolley's pressing and attacking football.

Athleticism and pace was what was promised, seems a long time ago.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 57
Grantley
March 30, 2019, 8:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Slade’s final 15 league matches...

W 3 - D 4 - L 8 - F 10 - A 23 - Pts 13

Jolley’s last 15 league matches...

W 4 - D 3 - L 8 - F 11 - A 19 - Pts 15

Discuss...

I’ll start. Jolley is underachieving and results and performances need to improve immediately.

15 is an oddly specific number to use...

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 57
MuddyWaters
March 30, 2019, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

15 is an oddly specific number to use...

What about 16? The number of league games we’ve failed to score in.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
Northbank Mariner
March 30, 2019, 8:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Great. So Jolley being slightly less shite than Russell Slade is good enough is it?

I was sat at Oldham today wondering what Jolley has actually done to deserve the adulation he receives. It’s certainly not the football. It’s amazing how far a bit of good PR goes. Oh and not being Russell Slade has helped him too.

Sorry?..little lass shite than Slade??....there's no comparison between the 2!!..we went on a 21 game run of utter dross with a squad if has beens and journeyman under Slade..
Jolley has brought in some quality and  has brought down the average by 4 years!!...
Rome wasn't built in a day and I was there myself today and thought that if the first 44 minutes was anything to go by the futures looking bright, then it all fell apart ..
Given 2 more windows I'll gladly revisit this thread as I do believe he has a way he wants to play and given 4-5 more players we'll reap the rewards and actually get to see the high press, attacking game he speaks off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
Tommy
March 30, 2019, 8:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Clifton was ineffective in Embleton's advanced midfield role. Much more suited to a normal midfield role where he can get around the pitch and arrive late in the box.

Don't think we need two sitting midfielders when we've got 3 centre backs. Even if we play the tactic of RHJ bombing forward. One is enough, especially if it is Hessentahler, who can cover ground quickly. 1 deeper with 2 ahead of him, rather than the opposite, would allow us to get an extra player further forward to help us reduce the numerical advantage of the defending team and help us keep and progress possession in areas higher up the pitch.

I think we still suffer from having quite a few players that are decent enough technically, but don't effect games at this level or don't have the physical make-up to be able to use their technical ability to effect a game. These players probably look decent in training and in 5-a-sides, but out on the big pitches against competitive opposition is a different world.

Vernam certainly offered something in the 2nd half but went quiet as the game died out. Just someone who can carry the ball and run at players makes us less predictable. If we dont have any pace or anyone who can run with the ball, the opposition know they can just either let us have the ball in front of them if they're organised, or close us down quick in 1v1s knowing we'll panic and either play a hopeful punt forward or play it back until someone else does. It's no coincidence our best spell of the season came with both Embleton AND Vernam starting in the team.

There's no point us playing Thomas any more I dont think. Even if he's staying, we know what he can do anyway, so give some other partnerships a try. And he's not in great form either.

If it was me, I'd go 4-3-3 the last few games.or if we're insistent on 3 at the back. I'd change it to 3-4-3 with Clifton and Hess in midfield, and Vernam and Rose starting wide of Dennis or even Cardwell who offers a decent target to play to if not a goal threat.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
MuddyWaters
March 30, 2019, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Clifton was ineffective in Embleton's advanced midfield role. Much more suited to a normal midfield role where he can get around the pitch and arrive late in the box.

Don't think we need two sitting midfielders when we've got 3 centre backs. Even if we play the tactic of RHJ bombing forward. One is enough, especially if it is Hessentahler, who can cover ground quickly. 1 deeper with 2 ahead of him, rather than the opposite, would allow us to get an extra player further forward to help us reduce the numerical advantage of the defending team and help us keep and progress possession in areas higher up the pitch.

I think we still suffer from having quite a few players that are decent enough technically, but don't effect games at this level or don't have the physical make-up to be able to use their technical ability to effect a game. These players probably look decent in training and in 5-a-sides, but out on the big pitches against competitive opposition is a different world.

Vernam certainly offered something in the 2nd half but went quiet as the game died out. Just someone who can carry the ball and run at players makes us less predictable. If we dont have any pace or anyone who can run with the ball, the opposition know they can just either let us have the ball in front of them if they're organised, or close us down quick in 1v1s knowing we'll panic and either play a hopeful punt forward or play it back until someone else does. It's no coincidence our best spell of the season came with both Embleton AND Vernam starting in the team.

There's no point us playing Thomas any more I dont think. Even if he's staying, we know what he can do anyway, so give some other partnerships a try. And he's not in great form either.

If it was me, I'd go 4-3-3 the last few games.or if we're insistent on 3 at the back. I'd change it to 3-4-3 with Clifton and Hess in midfield, and Vernam and Rose starting wide of Dennis or even Cardwell who offers a decent target to play to if not a goal threat.

I’d give Burrell a go before Cardwell. We know how limited he is already.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
sydney
March 30, 2019, 9:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Matched them first half and was unlucky to be behind
Second half we where poor and miles behind a cobbled together Oldham side who are in turmoil ( and sometimes don’t get paid for weeks)
Where is our fight?
As soon as games change up a knotch and we need to find extra bite, zip, aggression, we are very much lacking
There fans sang at us today that they where winning 2-0 how excrement must we be !!
Oldham fans we spoke to said we looked clueless in last third
And gave the ball away way to much
I am still yet to be convinced by this current set up (and jeez do I want to be after the last few seasons since Wembley)
But if this is “”It”” then next season will be more of the same
Sad Tonight as u don’t get many games in footie where u can experiment and go for it with youngsters in the mix etc
And we have half a dozen or so
Expected so much more today than I saw
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.