MuddyWaters
March 30, 2019, 7:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from chaos33
We must need 6 - 8 players of better quality than we have. We'll need to invest some money and move some on, and not show sentiment about that.

Couldn’t agree more, the question being will there be sufficient money to do what needs to be done.

More likely, another lump will be drawn off the loan and we’ll spend most of another season looking down not up. Sorry if that sounds negative but, yet again, we’re doomed to another bottom half finish.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
denni266
March 30, 2019, 7:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 128
All i can see is that we need about 8 better team not squad players, than we have this season. And to stop this stupid system he keeps trying to play.. we dont have proper wingbacks in the squad so why keep trying it.  I dont think fenty will keep taking big chunks out of the club as the less he is owed the more chance someone will come in and take his toy away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
chaos33
March 30, 2019, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
The favoured system isn't creating chances for the players we have. We'll need to change players, system or both. To fail to score in almost half he games this season tells it's own story.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 70
Tommy
March 30, 2019, 8:16pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
The positive aspect of having this poor run as the season draws to a close, is that it might show MJ where he needs to be ruthless in the summers squad-building. We've had a few good runs during the season and if we ended the season in another one, it would be easy to stick with the majority of the squad and add a few. Going through yet another poor run where we cant score goals might show up where we need better.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
chaos33
March 30, 2019, 8:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Agree Tommy. What's doubly sad is that these players are playing under no real pressure and they're producing almost nothing, and have done for the last 6 weeks or so. Not as if it's a one off. Yes we've had a few good, short runs where we've looked competitive and threatening, but, for the most part we look like team short of half a dozen good players, and, although fairly well organised and competent even, almost entirely without threat.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
Mrs Doyle
March 31, 2019, 7:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I concede  M.J. and his team are much more skilled and have the qualifications none of us do but to play a system of deliberately sitting deep puts a hell of a strain on your defence and the lone wolf up front.

To be competent with this system you MUST have wing backs with pace, and forwards quick enough to join in ideally the lone wolf up front must be big,strong because to hoof a ball up to him like we do needs this.

Yes he is a target man but that system without pace leave the lone wolf stranded and easy meat for opposing defenders.

It must be great being the opposing defenders facing us they must feel like it's a friendly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
Bigdog
March 31, 2019, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Tommy
The positive aspect of having this poor run as the season draws to a close, is that it might show MJ where he needs to be ruthless in the summers squad-building. We've had a few good runs during the season and if we ended the season in another one, it would be easy to stick with the majority of the squad and add a few. Going through yet another poor run where we cant score goals might show up where we need better.

I can't see it as a positive. The Roses, Whitmores and Vernams are having to showcase their talents in a losing team with an unsuitable formation and team mates that aren't going to be here next season. Ring's been given a thankless task that he's not up to and the poor run isn't going to sell season tickets or raise expectations for the floating fan, because marquee signings in the summer that show a statement of intent may be the only thing that could break the current state of malaise. So, even if it shows MJ where the deficiencies are, where's the money going to come from to buy better replacements? I think it's a very thin shred of a silver lining you're hanging onto Tommy, but it's the best hope we've got unfortunately..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
Northbank Mariner
March 31, 2019, 11:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Bigdog

I can't see it as a positive. The Roses, Whitmores and Vernams are having to showcase their talents in a losing team with a poor formation with team mates that aren't going to be here next season. Ring's been given a thankless task that he's not up to and the poor run isn't going to sell season tickets or raise expectations for the floating fan. So, even if it shows MJ where the deficiencies are, where's the money going to come from to buy better replacements? I think it's a very thin shred of a silver lining you're hanging onto Tommy, but it's the best hope we've got unfortunately..

Completely agree BD but in reference to Tommy's post, he's saying he knows where are deficiencies are, well I'm sorry to say but he knew that last year and did knack all to address it so why do we think he will in this summer's transfer window??..
Starting to wonder if MJs ambitions outweigh his abilities and let's not hide the fact that he and limbrick are actually serial losers...
Have to say if we start poorly next season and go on frequent so called bad runs you have to ask yourself, is he really all that??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
KingstonMariner
March 31, 2019, 4:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The problem could be budget, not a lack of knowledge or willingness to deal with squad deficiencies. Doesn't explain the system though.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
golfer
April 1, 2019, 4:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
If at the end of last season we had to mark Jolly he would have most likely scored 8/10- at the present time it would most likely be 5 or 6 and falling..  Get back up to 8/10 Please before the season ends.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oldham Athletic away from home thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.