1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
March 28, 2019, 9:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Traditionally we always seem to have a huge away support % wise to what we get at home and obviously a fair bit of this is down to our big number of exiles. Pro rata though since the 70s when football fans really started making the effort to travel why do people think the Town support has been so good numbers wise away? I remember it tailed off mid-late 80s and again mid 90s but other than that far better than most similar sized Clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
wuffing
March 28, 2019, 10:09am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +824
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Traditionally we always seem to have a huge away support % wise to what we get at home and obviously a fair bit of this is down to our big number of exiles. Pro rata though since the 70s when football fans really started making the effort to travel why do people think the Town support has been so good numbers wise away? I remember it tailed off mid-late 80s and again mid 90s but other than that far better than most similar sized Clubs.

Fishing industry/community/belonging/togetherness. Sadly now dismantled by the EU state....

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
marinerdazza
March 28, 2019, 10:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,779
Gold Stars: 81
Since mid-90s far more leave the local area to go to higher education. Most stay in or around their university city because of jobs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
moosey_club
March 28, 2019, 10:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Because we use any excuse to get away from here for a day  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
KingstonMariner
March 28, 2019, 12:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Any stats available on how many travel from NEL rather than from elsewhere? Wonder what the proportion of exiles is in an away crowd.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
TownSNAFU5
March 28, 2019, 6:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,851
Gold Stars: 42
Lincolnshire has always been a keen recruiting ground for the Armed Services, particularly  the RAF.     Regulars and retired Servicemen (like me) usually live away.  I know of others in the same position.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
barralad
March 28, 2019, 10:16pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
I was at school mid 70s and three quarters of my year never came back to Grimsby after uni or armed services BUT every time Town are playing in the South there are at least 12-15 who meet up at the game. That's just one year from one school. There is another decent sized following in the north west too.
It was especially true in the non-league days that night time matches "in the smoke" (Bromley springs to mind) there was the supporters bus and a few cars from NEL but the vast majority were southern based.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town`s away support

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.