3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
March 24, 2019, 9:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
I take my hat off to you both for your dedication to the cause.

Just out of curiosity if you miss a connection because of delays are you entitled to all your extra expenses getting home back from the rail companies?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
MarinerRob
March 24, 2019, 9:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
I believe you are entitled to expenses. But thankfully they got me to London and I managed to sort myself out to get back to Woking. So I just had the £15 taxi fare to pay but I was so relieved to get back to my car I didn't ask for a receipt. I am claiming for a refund on the journey so should get £37 back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
MarinerRob
March 24, 2019, 9:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted Text
RoboCod  A bath!!??

Didn't you know we are posh down in Surrey? - hee hee.

Although I still say bath and nor ba(r)th when I come up to Cleethorpes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
mimma
March 24, 2019, 9:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Glad to hear that you are not out of pocket.

Out of interest, I met some Town fans waiting to catch the train to Burton at Birmingham. The train was delayed because there wasn't a driver. One Town fan then yelled out "How did it effing get here then?"

The only laugh I had that day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Rhys_Mariners
March 24, 2019, 10:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +174
Gold Stars: 4
Hey mate. im in woking too. close to west byfleet. Goldsworth park! you're not alone  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
mariner tommy
March 24, 2019, 10:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
Total respect for you Rob, superb.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
RoboCod
March 25, 2019, 12:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from MarinerRob

Didn't you know we are posh down in Surrey? - hee hee.

Although I still say bath and nor ba(r)th when I come up to Cleethorpes.

I sympathised with you throughout that post until I saw that you took a chunk of your time 'preening' yourself in the barth room

Fair play, it's some commitment to make, we must all be mad to some extent.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
marinerdazza
March 25, 2019, 12:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Christ, I moan about the round trip from York with a season ticket. Especially when we've lost.

Fair play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
RonMariner
March 27, 2019, 4:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
Luxury. That's nothing.

When I lived in London Bill Brewster and I travelled up to Stockport to watch Town one Saturday in 1990. The car broke down after the game (cam belt snapped and trashed the engine). The AA refused to tow us back to London but did agree to take us to Grimsby.

It was a bank holiday weekend so no garages were open on the Sunday or Monday. So we spent a weekend in Town, and as luck would have it Town were at home on the Tuesday night and we managed to get a lift back to London after the game thanks to some fellow London Mariners. We got home in the early hours of Wednesday morning. A round trip of just under 90 hours.  That's longer than it takes to get to the moon. Just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
UTMariners
March 27, 2019, 5:18pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from MarinerRob
I often wondered whether I was mad having a season ticket for Town when I live so far away. It involves leaving home at 7.15 and don't normally get home to about 10.30 at night. When I got to Cleethorpes yesterday after a 5 hour trip on the train I said to my wife 'what on earth am I doing!'
However, getting home last night was the stuff of my worse nightmare.

My friend, Alan, drops me off at Grimsby station which allows me to see all of the game and not have to leave early. Talking to my wife on the phone I looked up and saw the 5.35 train had been cancelled due to a shortage of conductors. But I had seen this train goes past Blundell Park to Cleethorpes. Feeling hungry I decided to kill time and have some food at McDonalds (I sure know how to live). Back at the station for 6.25 in time for the train to arrive. Rather full but, luckily I got a seat. Hopefully will be home by 11.30.

We got as far as Barnetby and we stopped. The conductor announced there was a signal issue and will let us know as soon as it was possible to get going again. 75 minutes delay (plus the original 60 minutes) meant we would get to Doncaster for 9.00. The last train to London was due to leave at 8.50! What the hell was I going to do? I was told the station staff will sort out a taxi to London. Eventually, 6 of us were put in a taxi minibus thing. Three proper seats and three fold-down type bench seat which I ended up on. I can confirm sitting on them for 3½ hours is not to be recommended.

When I got to Kings Cross I still had to get to West Byfleet in Surrey. Looking on my phone I found the last train to West Byfleet from London Waterloo leaves at 12.25. We didn't get to Kings Cross until 12.15 and I still had to get to across London so that was that. I was told the station staff would sort me out but there were none to be seen. What should I do?

I checked for any trains leaving Waterloo within the time frame I had and found the very last train going to Basingstoke in Hampshire, however, it will stop at Woking reasonably close to West Byfleet. So I got on that. Due to mainline track repairs, it took the scenic route, not that I could see anything. So instead of being about 30 minutes, it took close to 55 minutes. Finally arrived at Woking at 1.55am. Fortunately, there was a taxi available to take me back to West Byfleet, a distance of about 2 miles for the grand cost of £15. Very relieved to see my car and got indoors at 2.15pm - 9½  hours after the end of the match. I could have flown to the centre of the USA in that time!

After a bath and a sit down I was in bed at 3.30am.

The chances of me being at the next match are slim at the moment. I think I need to have a rethink about going to all home games. However, I'm sure I will back before I know it. The true definition of being a mad man.

And you still have a wife?!

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Defination of a Mad Man

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.