4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
March 18, 2019, 9:02am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Okay, so the season is over, not going up, not going down.

So who is good enough to be part of a team challenging for promotion?
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
March 18, 2019, 9:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,499
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Okay, so the season is over, not going up, not going down.

So who is good enough to be part of a team challenging for promotion?

Not as many as we thought, but we haven't got the budget. Without the budget any managers hands are tied. MJ will give it his best shot of course, but we need real quality in the areas that matter.  

A new board with new money is more important.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
Nutsy
March 18, 2019, 9:35am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +134
Gold Stars: 5
Clifton, Hess, Cook, Davis, Ohman, Ring, Embleton, H-J, Macca, Vernam?,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
forza ivano
March 18, 2019, 10:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,108
Gold Stars: 265
mckeown, hessenthaler, embleton, clifton, thomas and hendrie and 2 of those won't be here next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
MuddyWaters
March 18, 2019, 10:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
As LCL says, we are only as good as our budget allows us to be.

Looking back on recent home games, I would say Macca, Hess and Hendrie are the only consistent 7 out of 10 performers who are likely to be here next season. I like Vernam but he doesn't seem to have a role in the manager's system and I think it's a bit unfair to be too judgmental about the Swedish lads.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
Maringer
March 18, 2019, 10:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
I think we're probably three or four decent players off a play-off team at present. At this level, it doesn't take too much you get you competing for the top 7 and we don't need too much of a turnover of players this summer.

I think we have the basis of a decent defence and midfield so just a couple of tweaks in those areas could make a difference, especially with Whitehouse to hopefully be back and fit next season. It's up front which is my main concern as the players we have contracted for next season don't have much of a scoring record and also lack experience. I don't think Thomas will stay, though he's done a decent job this season.

Question is, can some of the youngsters in the squad develop into their roles or will they only be good enough as bit-part players?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Bigdog
March 18, 2019, 11:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Think we're already set at GK, RB and central defence (if MJ wants to extend Whitmore's contract, if not a left footer to replace DC) but improvements in pace, physicality, composure and creativity will be needed in every other area, (wide areas x2, CM x2, forwards x2). Probably won't have the budget to buy all the attributes required in, so MJ will have to knit together a team that's more consistent instead. The big question will be.. in his second season, after three transfer windows and two pre-seasons, does our manager have the ability to turn a (hopefully) mid-table budget into a play-off chasing side like other managers at other clubs have done in the past?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
VinnyGTFC
March 18, 2019, 11:56am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
I don't buy this as good as your budget thing. Many teams have been successful on lower   budgets. It's about creating a team with what you have. Don't forget we regularly need 10+ players in the summer. That is our Achilles heel and until that lowers consistently our success will be limited.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
H19P1
March 18, 2019, 12:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
I guess it all depends on what happens when we get to 50 points doesn't it?

If playing and transfer budget is dramatically increased then i think a few more will be going
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
grimsby pete
March 18, 2019, 12:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,763
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
I don't buy this as good as your budget thing. Many teams have been successful on lower   budgets. It's about creating a team with what you have. Don't forget we regularly need 10+ players in the summer. That is our Achilles heel and until that lowers consistently our success will be limited.

Accrington Stanley went up on one of the lowest budgets in our league,

All you need is the right manager and the players who are able to follow the managers instructions,

BUT

More money helps  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who is good enough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.