Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On the beach ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 228 Guests

On the beach ?

This thread currently has 5,874 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
March 16, 2019, 5:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,207
Gold Stars: 224
Listened to Jolly earlier in the week and he was talking of Summer targets and plans. ....looks like the plans included starting the holidays early....no real drive today...no real passion on the pitch, in the stands or on the sidelines.....over 70 mins at home without a shot on target or any real chances before he chooses to make a sub.

If we have given up on this season now then at least start giving Rose a good blooding and Pollock and maybe step up other members of the youth squad to the first team squad

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Gtfc8279
March 16, 2019, 5:23pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +23
IMHO they don’t look like they’re on the beach. They battled today until the end, in horrendous conditions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
Cod Cheeks
March 16, 2019, 6:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Working hard and getting stuck in through those conditions doesn't suggest so to me.

Weather was ugly, Northampton were uglier and we dug out an ugly draw, clean sheet and stopped the bad run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
mrsd
March 16, 2019, 6:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
MJ had a right paddy on the touch line so I don’t think there was a lack of passion there either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
MuddyWaters
March 16, 2019, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
I thought that was one of our better home performances in recent weeks - playing an ugly team in ugly conditions with incompetent officials.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
mariner tommy
March 16, 2019, 6:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
In those conditions it was never going to be memorable but every one stuck to their task and we’re good for a point.
Scrappy from start to finish but I enjoyed it to be honest.
Can’t fault anyone for effort today.
My stand out players today, Collins, Öhman and Hess. They never put a foot wrong all game.
UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
jamesgtfc
March 16, 2019, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
I thought Collins answered his critics superbly today. Commanding performance from him. First half especially, Öhman missed a few headers but he won the important battles.  Ring appeared a bit rattled from the early challenge (which I didn't see so can't comment on) but certainly grew into the game.

We put a few good balls into the box but against another big, physical team I thought we lacked someone up front to compete with that physicality.

I thought the last 20-30 minutes was crying out for the pace of Akheem today and Dennis seemed to spend most of his 10 minutes on the pitch tying his laces.  Just as Embleton was starting to have an effect on the game, we brought him off so for me, the substitutions were wrong today.

Still, it stopped the rot in conditions that favoured the more physical team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
HertsGTFC
March 16, 2019, 8:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I thought Collins answered his critics superbly today. Commanding performance from him. First half especially, Öhman missed a few headers but he won the important battles.  Ring appeared a bit rattled from the early challenge (which I didn't see so can't comment on) but certainly grew into the game.

We put a few good balls into the box but against another big, physical team I thought we lacked someone up front to compete with that physicality.

I thought the last 20-30 minutes was crying out for the pace of Akheem today and Dennis seemed to spend most of his 10 minutes on the pitch tying his laces.  Just as Embleton was starting to have an effect on the game, we brought him off so for me, the substitutions were wrong today.

Still, it stopped the rot in conditions that favoured the more physical team.

If there was a MOM for Town I think Collins would have been a good candidate, I thought he played well today.

I don’t get Jolley’s changes sometimes putting Dennis with less than 10 mins to go meant he could have little impact in reality. The game needed some pace to open it up and Rose on for the last 20 would have made sense.

What also grinds my gears is before a sub comes on they have to spend 5 f&@ing minutes looking at a plan in a file with Limbrick. If he needs a diagram to explain what he wants a player to do it makes me wonder how good a coach he actually is.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 16, 2019, 8:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
What is the story with Welsh? This hamstring seems to be taking a very long time to get over. I know they can be difficult but the bloke hasn’t figured much even before this. Is he still part of Jolley’s long term picture?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
Maringer
March 16, 2019, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Ring wasn't at all hurt by the challenge. It was obvious he was going to get body checked and he knew it so he went down without any great injury. I don't think the challenge was anywhere near his face, though he was holding his head. A booking the correct decision, I reckon.

The defenders played well in general and dealt with the dozens of long throws into the box very well. However, it was very much a 5-3-2 rather than a 3-5-2 much of the time and this showed in our lack of attacking threat. They were bigger and stronger throughout the team and found much too much easy possession in midfield in the second half. Luckily, they were as toothless up front as we were.

I can't really see the point in playing 3-5-2 the way  we're doing it at present as we're effectively ending up with 5 defenders yet still finding ourselves short in midfield. If we're going to ultra defensive, might as well pack the midfield with a 4-5-1 to keep possession in that area (or have a 4-1-4-1). My concern is that you'd expect Hendrie and Ring to be our wing-backs next year and neither has exactly revelled in the role yet. Perhaps some different players in the back 3 might make a difference, but I'm not convinced.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
blundellpork
March 16, 2019, 9:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
What is the story with Welsh? This hamstring seems to be taking a very long time to get over. I know they can be difficult but the bloke hasn’t figured much even before this. Is he still part of Jolley’s long term picture?

Legs have gone. Can see him leaving come the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
MuddyWaters
March 16, 2019, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Ring wasn't at all hurt by the challenge. It was obvious he was going to get body checked and he knew it so he went down without any great injury. I don't think the challenge was anywhere near his face, though he was holding his head. A booking the correct decision, I reckon.

The defenders played well in general and dealt with the dozens of long throws into the box very well. However, it was very much a 5-3-2 rather than a 3-5-2 much of the time and this showed in our lack of attacking threat. They were bigger and stronger throughout the team and found much too much easy possession in midfield in the second half. Luckily, they were as toothless up front as we were.

I can't really see the point in playing 3-5-2 the way  we're doing it at present as we're effectively ending up with 5 defenders yet still finding ourselves short in midfield. If we're going to ultra defensive, might as well pack the midfield with a 4-5-1 to keep possession in that area (or have a 4-1-4-1). My concern is that you'd expect Hendrie and Ring to be our wing-backs next year and neither has exactly revelled in the role yet. Perhaps some different players in the back 3 might make a difference, but I'm not convinced.

Can’t see any reason to be critical of Hendrie who has been as good as anyone for me this season. Regards Ring, he doesn’t seem very strong and probably needs a preseason at an English club. All in all, we were okay today but we could have been a bit more adventurous/earlier with the subs.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 16, 2019, 9:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Just don’t think it’s a system that suits L2 players mainly for the reason that it is hard to find players at this level who are really comfortable on the ball and can play it out from the back. We are the perfect example of that especially when RHJ is not one of the three.

Personally don’t like the system as it has two full backs who should spend 50% of the time defending and 50% being wingers who ideally can get beyond the opposing full back and sending in quality crosses (50% is not based on how we play it by the way).

Much rather have 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 as currently we seem to have players isolated in possession all over the pitch and Thomas is given a pretty impossible task on his own up top.

Also need some physically stronger players as we lose pretty much every challenge in midfield and up front and thus struggle to retain possession.

Moving forward but still visits to BP are tests of endurance rather than a pleasure 😩😩
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Maringer
March 16, 2019, 9:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I do think Hendrie is a good player. Just think he's a better full-back than wing-back from what I've seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
chaos33
March 16, 2019, 9:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,868
Gold Stars: 353
To say that he must be on top money and is club captain, Welsh has been a total disappointment.
Not sure if he's not physically fit or what, but he's played about an hour all season and now can't  apparently get in the team. Promised so much, but a waste.....

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Pontooner
March 16, 2019, 9:42pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +186
I don't think we lacked passion or effort, but did lack quality in the wide areas. Forwards (particularly one's like Dennis need decent service, but that's just not happening at the moment.

Some decent play on the right, but can't recall much threat at all from our left hand side today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
March 16, 2019, 9:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Let us call a spade a spade.

Ignore today - the wind made it a farce, but did their keeper touch the ball with his hands all afternoon??

In general, we don't attack enough, we don't create chances, we cannot win a ball in the air nor hold it up well enough up front, we don't get around the back or hardly get into the opposition box. There is just not enough forward momentum in our play. I love to see good football, a passing game on the grass and players comfortable on the ball, but there is precious little end product at all.

Pretty triangles in midfield will just not cut it in league 2. I know the manager is hamstrung with the lack of investment but we need a big target man who will be able to hold it up and bring the midfield further up, and two strikers playing off him to give defences something to worry about.

Every two weeks we are sat in the Pontoon and we hardly see any opposition keeper having to break into a sweat. If you don't get the ball into the box you will not score very often.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
MuddyWaters
March 16, 2019, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Ignore today - the wind made it a farce, but did their keeper touch the ball with his hands all afternoon??

In general, we don't attack enough, we don't create chances, we cannot win a ball in the air nor hold it up well enough up front, we don't get around the back or hardly get into the opposition box. There is just not enough forward momentum in our play. I love to see good football, a passing game on the grass and players comfortable on the ball, but there is precious little end product at all.

Pretty triangles in midfield will just not cut it in league 2. I know the manager is hamstrung with the lack of investment but we need a big target man who will be able to hold it up and bring the midfield further up, and two strikers playing off him to give defences something to worry about.

Every two weeks we are sat in the Pontoon and we hardly see any opposition keeper having to break into a sweat. If you don't get the ball into the box you will not score very often.

Sums it up for me. We’re better than we were but not as good as we want to be. But if our budget is 18th to 20th in this league then that’s what we’ll get.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Croxton
March 16, 2019, 10:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,011
Gold Stars: 33

I would be very surprised if he was anything more than a benchwarmer.  Arrived unfit and we already have a lack of pace at the back. Time to concentrate on the badges or scouting for Preston.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 16, 2019, 10:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

That problem will not go away. You cannot play millionaires’ football with workhouse players. Jolley hinted as much in his GT assessment of where we are compared to the top 2 or 3 sides. I think Jolley will sign some more suitable players (not necessarily better players) in the summer and will change the system to one that fits with the ability level of the players he can afford. If he doesn’t then it will just be more of the same.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
Bigdog
March 16, 2019, 10:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

Add to that, we are very static as a team and our movement off the ball is fairly poor and predictable when we've got it and we're very wasteful with our passing. I thought the players worked fairly hard today but there's been a dropping off in the intensity of our play over the past few weeks. Not by much, but enough to notice..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
HertsGTFC
March 16, 2019, 10:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog

Add to that, we are very static as a team and our movement off the ball is fairly poor and predictable when we've got it and we're very wasteful with our passing. I thought the players worked fairly hard today but there's been a dropping off in the intensity of our play over the past few weeks. Not by much, but enough to notice..

We need to keep the ball much better, today we coughed up possession far too much.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
Mrs Doyle
March 17, 2019, 6:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Thought their defence had a lot easier day than ours at times we seemed under the cosh and gave away loads of free kicks, corners,throw in's and possession in general. It's a lot to ask to give so much play to the opposition and overwork your defenders.

The stats will back this up I bet our players were twice as knackered though neither keeper had anything to do.

I more thing on a day like yesterday why oh why did Macca insist of on kicking it HIGH into that wind??? We don't have big players up front???

Their keeper kept his goal kicks low and flat it was much more effective.

A lot of work needed for next season if we are to mount a serious challenge we do seem to have run out of steam/ideas in midfield and poor old Thomas works his backside off with little support we really need a big man up front that can bully defenders and make them work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
Northbank Mariner
March 17, 2019, 7:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
To me, it's our lack of midfield that keeps doing us damage, the amount of times the opposition seems to have all the middle third to play or run with the ball without a single solid challenge is staggering..we drop deep and invite pressure, allow them far too much time and space to pump the ball into our box time and time again...and in league 2 which is generally full of big, strong aggressive players our keeper (who's not the best at crosses or commanding his area) will always be under too much pressure..
Think maybe MJ needs to rethink his tactics for the league we are in and if next season we go up, then maybe the style he wants to play would be more suited to a higher league .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
Les Brechin
March 17, 2019, 8:23am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
The score would still be 0-0 if we were still playing now!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
diehardmariner
March 17, 2019, 9:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
Shocker of a game due to conditions but we do seem to have hit a bit of a rut.

Embleton is our creative force but he's off form and looks ready for a long rest.  

We definitely lack a killer edge but with a largely settled side plus what I'd guess would be a decent bit of budget to play with following the departures of Hooper plus potentially Collins, Thomas and maybe even Welsh I'm sorta confident Jolley can use that to good effect to address the balance. He's gone about it right in my eyes, make us solid and then add the match winners.

I still like the wingback system but it needs RHJ in that back 3 for it to be anything other than just another mundane back 5 that a lot of sides deploy.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
forza ivano
March 17, 2019, 10:15am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Sums it up for me. We’re better than we were but not as good as we want to be. But if our budget is 18th to 20th in this league then that’s what we’ll get.

Is this correct codger? Not having a go or doubting you but can you tell us more?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
MuddyWaters
March 17, 2019, 10:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Is this correct codger? Not having a go or doubting you but can you tell us more?

Just putting two & two together based on MJ's midweek interview and John Tondeur's tweet about it.

I have heard from another source with a connection to the club that our budget is, in his words, nearer the bottom than the top.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
forza ivano
March 17, 2019, 10:59am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Just putting two & two together based on MJ's midweek interview and John Tondeur's tweet about it.

I have heard from another source with a connection to the club that our budget is, in his words, nearer the bottom than the top.

Must be bad if fent y admits it might be on the low side!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
rancido
March 17, 2019, 12:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,531
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from diehardmariner
Shocker of a game due to conditions but we do seem to have hit a bit of a rut.

Embleton is our creative force but he's off form and looks ready for a long rest.  

We definitely lack a killer edge but with a largely settled side plus what I'd guess would be a decent bit of budget to play with following the departures of Hooper plus potentially Collins, Thomas and maybe even Welsh I'm sorta confident Jolley can use that to good effect to address the balance. He's gone about it right in my eyes, make us solid and then add the match winners.

I still like the wingback system but it needs RHJ in that back 3 for it to be anything other than just another mundane back 5 that a lot of sides deploy.

I like the wingback system as well but like you say, you need at least two mobile centre-backs. I also don't think Hendrie or Ring are the right players for this system - not quick enough IMO. Decent enough full-backs but not wingbacks.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
arryarryarry
March 17, 2019, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116

I would agree.

I also think we don't half fanny about before we try to get a decent cross in which there weren't many yesterday..
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On the beach ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.