Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On the beach ?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 407 Guests

On the beach ?

This thread currently has 5,838 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
blundellpork
March 16, 2019, 9:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,645
Gold Stars: 32
What is the story with Welsh? This hamstring seems to be taking a very long time to get over. I know they can be difficult but the bloke hasn’t figured much even before this. Is he still part of Jolley’s long term picture?

Legs have gone. Can see him leaving come the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
MuddyWaters
March 16, 2019, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Maringer
Ring wasn't at all hurt by the challenge. It was obvious he was going to get body checked and he knew it so he went down without any great injury. I don't think the challenge was anywhere near his face, though he was holding his head. A booking the correct decision, I reckon.

The defenders played well in general and dealt with the dozens of long throws into the box very well. However, it was very much a 5-3-2 rather than a 3-5-2 much of the time and this showed in our lack of attacking threat. They were bigger and stronger throughout the team and found much too much easy possession in midfield in the second half. Luckily, they were as toothless up front as we were.

I can't really see the point in playing 3-5-2 the way  we're doing it at present as we're effectively ending up with 5 defenders yet still finding ourselves short in midfield. If we're going to ultra defensive, might as well pack the midfield with a 4-5-1 to keep possession in that area (or have a 4-1-4-1). My concern is that you'd expect Hendrie and Ring to be our wing-backs next year and neither has exactly revelled in the role yet. Perhaps some different players in the back 3 might make a difference, but I'm not convinced.

Can’t see any reason to be critical of Hendrie who has been as good as anyone for me this season. Regards Ring, he doesn’t seem very strong and probably needs a preseason at an English club. All in all, we were okay today but we could have been a bit more adventurous/earlier with the subs.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 16, 2019, 9:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Just don’t think it’s a system that suits L2 players mainly for the reason that it is hard to find players at this level who are really comfortable on the ball and can play it out from the back. We are the perfect example of that especially when RHJ is not one of the three.

Personally don’t like the system as it has two full backs who should spend 50% of the time defending and 50% being wingers who ideally can get beyond the opposing full back and sending in quality crosses (50% is not based on how we play it by the way).

Much rather have 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 as currently we seem to have players isolated in possession all over the pitch and Thomas is given a pretty impossible task on his own up top.

Also need some physically stronger players as we lose pretty much every challenge in midfield and up front and thus struggle to retain possession.

Moving forward but still visits to BP are tests of endurance rather than a pleasure 😩😩
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Maringer
March 16, 2019, 9:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
I do think Hendrie is a good player. Just think he's a better full-back than wing-back from what I've seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
chaos33
March 16, 2019, 9:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
To say that he must be on top money and is club captain, Welsh has been a total disappointment.
Not sure if he's not physically fit or what, but he's played about an hour all season and now can't  apparently get in the team. Promised so much, but a waste.....

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Pontooner
March 16, 2019, 9:42pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +186
I don't think we lacked passion or effort, but did lack quality in the wide areas. Forwards (particularly one's like Dennis need decent service, but that's just not happening at the moment.

Some decent play on the right, but can't recall much threat at all from our left hand side today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
March 16, 2019, 9:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Let us call a spade a spade.

Ignore today - the wind made it a farce, but did their keeper touch the ball with his hands all afternoon??

In general, we don't attack enough, we don't create chances, we cannot win a ball in the air nor hold it up well enough up front, we don't get around the back or hardly get into the opposition box. There is just not enough forward momentum in our play. I love to see good football, a passing game on the grass and players comfortable on the ball, but there is precious little end product at all.

Pretty triangles in midfield will just not cut it in league 2. I know the manager is hamstrung with the lack of investment but we need a big target man who will be able to hold it up and bring the midfield further up, and two strikers playing off him to give defences something to worry about.

Every two weeks we are sat in the Pontoon and we hardly see any opposition keeper having to break into a sweat. If you don't get the ball into the box you will not score very often.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
MuddyWaters
March 16, 2019, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230

Ignore today - the wind made it a farce, but did their keeper touch the ball with his hands all afternoon??

In general, we don't attack enough, we don't create chances, we cannot win a ball in the air nor hold it up well enough up front, we don't get around the back or hardly get into the opposition box. There is just not enough forward momentum in our play. I love to see good football, a passing game on the grass and players comfortable on the ball, but there is precious little end product at all.

Pretty triangles in midfield will just not cut it in league 2. I know the manager is hamstrung with the lack of investment but we need a big target man who will be able to hold it up and bring the midfield further up, and two strikers playing off him to give defences something to worry about.

Every two weeks we are sat in the Pontoon and we hardly see any opposition keeper having to break into a sweat. If you don't get the ball into the box you will not score very often.

Sums it up for me. We’re better than we were but not as good as we want to be. But if our budget is 18th to 20th in this league then that’s what we’ll get.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Croxton
March 16, 2019, 10:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
What is the story with Welsh? This hamstring seems to be taking a very long time to get over. I know they can be difficult but the bloke hasn’t figured much even before this. Is he still part of Jolley’s long term picture?

I would be very surprised if he was anything more than a benchwarmer.  Arrived unfit and we already have a lack of pace at the back. Time to concentrate on the badges or scouting for Preston.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 16, 2019, 10:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

That problem will not go away. You cannot play millionaires’ football with workhouse players. Jolley hinted as much in his GT assessment of where we are compared to the top 2 or 3 sides. I think Jolley will sign some more suitable players (not necessarily better players) in the summer and will change the system to one that fits with the ability level of the players he can afford. If he doesn’t then it will just be more of the same.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On the beach ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.