4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
March 9, 2019, 5:29pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,193
Gold Stars: 121
Started so well. Great header from Ohman into Wes and an excellent finish. Within five minutes they'd hit the bar twice as Town retreated into some sort of safe space. Far too much of the pass it square pass it back to Macca to give back to them. Little movement off the ball and an unfathomable desire to try to play the ball down the line in a strip of grass about 18 inches wide. The equaliser when it came was as a result of truly awful defending as the whole defence was pulled left only for a quick cross to come in to the unmarked Palmer. Palmers second was possibly worse with Davis? a clear favourite to get to the ball first losing out to Palmer who took one touch before knocking it through Macca's legs.
Half time came and went. Town continued to struggle until somewhat belatedly Jolley brought on Cook and Clifton. Immediately things started to happen and for the first time Town exerted a bit of pressure. Cook in particular was prepared to run at them which gave Embo more space. Clifton added much needed bite to the midfield. It wasnt all one way traffic though as Palmer was denied his hat trick by a mixture of excellent and desperate defending with at least two ckeared off the line. Vernam came on for the last few minutes and Town gave it a really good go virtually camping in their box. Sadly the quality of funish shown by Palmer was lacking and they couldn't repeat the get out of jail antics of the Swindon game. I'd be amazed if Dennis and Wez start together on Tuesday. He wasn't on his own but Davis had a shocker. RHJ must be wondering how he doesn't get any pitch time. Ohman picked up another daft booking and the number of stupid free kicks we gave away suggests a lack of learning from basic errors. Difficult to pick a Town MOM. Cook did more in 20 than Dennis in the other 70..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Davec
March 9, 2019, 5:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Bright opening first 5 mins but it's like the goal made us lose confidence as as soon as Thomas scored it all went to pot and defending so deeply, terrible terrible goals to give away, poor defending by everybody to be dragged wide and leaving Palmer with the freedom of the area! And then Davis really needs to be doing better for the 2nd goal. And it could have been more! Bars hit, balls cleared of the line Mckeown making some saves, in the end we were lucky to keep it at 2! Cook stretched their defence and Clifton added some pace in midfield as he looked to get the ball moving instead of the slow ponderous square passes then passing back so we could hoof we witnessed with Woolford on the pitch, Thomas and Dennis are both proven scorers at this level but they seem unable to form a good partnership with each other, not helped of course by the terrible service, Cook in for Dennis, Clifton for Woolford and then RHJ back in for Tranmere please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
Bigdog
March 9, 2019, 6:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Changed my prediction of 1-1 to 3-1 defeat on the prediction thread when I saw the starting line up.

Why? If we play a deep back three without any pace of Collins, Ohman and Davis we need a really strong and athletic midfield three to have the physicality to shield the defence and link up with the isolated front two. A midfield three including Woolford and excluding Clifton can't do that.. and a defensive left side of Ring and Collins scares me to death too. MJ beat us before any player let us down.. which they did collectively for the middle eighty minutes of the game. Tired of seeing us dropping off, tired of DC's bad habits rubbing off on his defensive partners, tired of seeing our front two forty yards away from our nearest midfielder and tired of seeing Macca turn into a flapper once again because of defensive frailties in front of him. The best games we've played this season generally didn't have DC or MW in the side, so I struggle to comprehend why MJ persists in picking them. They may have the odd decent game or two but generally they really detract from what the team could achieve without them, by being more on the front foot, more of a cohesive unit and physically stronger and quicker. We didn't collapse without the experience of Danny Collins or Martyn Woolford on the pitch after the substitutions, we improved. It's a myth that an experienced head automatically adds to a team because you have to weigh off the physical and positional negatives. I've seen Ohman and Davis be beasts alongside Whitmore this season, yet today they were dropping off with Danny giving their forwards free reign. The players looked like they didn't fully believe in how they were asked to play today and also didn't fully believe in some of their own team mates. Have to say it, today was one of the first games this season that some of the players didn't give their all for the shirt. I see a lot of people clamouring for Cook over Dennis, but the bigger question should be how the team can create chances for a proven goalscorer rather than retreating to a middle of the road workhorse. In my opinion, the forwards should be absolved of all blame today because their team mates couldn't string two passes together. Tippy tappy sideways passing which ended up with a pass back to Davis, Collins or Mckeown and a big aimless hoof upfield. So much for progressive football.

I'm not going to pick the bones out of the game today, because there were some players who were well below par that would benefit from a better selected eleven and a more front foot formation and playing style. If MJ could get this right then I think we could improve immeasurably. Feeling sorry for RHJ, Whitmore, Vernam, Clifton and A. Rose having to watch this shower of muddled and negative shite at the moment..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
MuddyWaters
March 9, 2019, 6:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Bigdog
Changed my prediction of 1-1 to 3-1 defeat on the prediction thread when I saw the starting line up.

I'm not going to pick the bones out of the game today, because there were some players who were well below par that would benefit from a better selected eleven and a more front foot formation and playing style. If MJ could get this right then I think we could improve immeasurably. Feeling sorry for RHJ, Whitmore, Vernam, Clifton and A. Rose having to watch this shower of muddled and negative shite at the moment..

Particularly the three highlighted. Clifton has had a lot of game time, most of it good, but had a real shocker last week. Akheem is still learning.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
Croxton
March 9, 2019, 6:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Particularly the three highlighted. Clifton has had a lot of game time, most of it good, but had a real shocker last week. Akheem is still learning.

Following the logic, if Whitmore, RHJ, and Vernam  started then Rose  and Clifton have a better chance of minutes off the bench?
As things stand, we are sliding towards dead rubber games with no more knowledge of how some younger players may fit the system before we are chasing the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
Mendonca1995
March 9, 2019, 8:49pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
What must rhj be thinking watching Davis give 2 goals away today left his marker for Cambridges 1st last week terrible defending for both goals today !! Ring is supposed to be an attacking wing back and never got out of his own half first half, midfield didn’t really do much till Clifton came on Dennis very quiet feeding off nothing balls again I thought cook was probably towns brightest spark today he did really well when he came on but something isn’t right at the minute is it inconsistency ? Formation ? Tiredness personnel ? I don’t know but if we would have got something from the last 2 games we could have had a serious look in with the playoffs the body language in the players again today just didn’t look right, we have just been on a very good run but these couple of losses may have just dampened things thoughts ?

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
HertsGTFC
March 9, 2019, 9:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
Lots of things I didn’t get today....

Why Collins was left in after “another” individual mistake last week and the mercurial RHJ or Whitmore left out?

Why Dennis & Thomas up front when it looked like a poor choice last week ?

In the 2nd half why was Davis getting ahead of Hendrie when Hendrie is a better crosser and RHJ is better wide the Davis ?

Why retain 5 across the middle for so long when it just meant we passed it sideways ?

Why did Macca look so flappy and how can a keeper of that quality be nutmegged for their 2nd?

WTF was Ring doing for their first and why did Palmer get a free header? Not impressed with Ring so far TBH.

Why was the supply so bad for 2 of the better strikers/finishers we’ve had at the club for ages?

What despite playing 3-5-2 did we fail to get in behind them?

Why is losing at Crawley now a certainty?

I could go on but this performance looked like a side and possibly a manager that is over thinking it, not every offensive move starts with a triangle of passing.

I think very highly of MJ & AL but we have a squad as good as if not better than Crawley but today at times we made it look like a gulf in class & quality.......why?

We need better next week please!

UTM!!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
Bigdog
March 9, 2019, 9:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Why Collins was left in after “another” individual mistake last week and the mercurial RHJ or Whitmore left out?

In the 2nd half why was Davis getting ahead of Hendrie when Hendrie is a better crosser and RHJ is better wide the Davis ?

Why retain 5 across the middle for so long when it just meant we passed it sideways ?

Why did Macca look so flappy and how can a keeper of that quality be nutmegged for their 2nd?

WTF was Ring doing for their first and why did Palmer get a free header? Not impressed with Ring so far TBH.

Why was the supply so bad for 2 of the better strikers/finishers we’ve had at the club for ages?

I could go on but this performance looked like a side and possibly a manager that is over thinking it, not every offensive move starts with a triangle of passing.

I think very highly of MJ & AL but we have a squad as good as if not better than Crawley but today at times we made it look like a gulf in class & quality.......why?

UTM!!!

Good questions that MJ needs to answer rather than the "Crawley just shaded it" drivel he came out with. Forget who's left footed, who's experienced etc etc etc

I'd like to see a more dynamic, pacier and front-footed starting eleven next week. No overthinking, just picking a strong threatening side. Ditch the 3-5-2 til next season because we haven't got anyone left footed with the attributes that can fulfil the role of left wing back.

McKeown

RHJ          Davis                  Whitmore           Hendrie

Hess

Vernam                   Clifton                           Embleton

Dennis/Cook                     Thomas

Something like this looks a lot more appealing to me than what MJ has been putting out..

Edit.. Purposely left Ohman out to give him a rest, he could easily be one of the two centre halves and A Rose needs game time this season too..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
lew chaterleys lover
March 9, 2019, 9:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from HertsGTFC

UTM!!!

The answer is that despite us all wanting it to be, we are not a side that will trouble the pacemakers (or indeed Crawley) just yet.

We have made some progress, but there is a long, long way to go. I am sure that MJ knows this all too well.

In the absence of more investment, the improvement will be slow, steady and unspectacular. Frustrating I know, but that is the reality.

Let's hope Michael Jolley sticks with it and doesn't get dispirited like so many before him; the way the club is run and the lack of investment means the manager has to be a miracle worker really to get us where we want to be. We wish him well, and with another transfer window of wheeling and dealing, it might be better next season.

Even quality players like Embleton and Vernam have struggled a bit, which shows the level of player needed to be a threat. All of the teams I have seen at BP had quality players I would like in our team - this league is going to be tough to get promoted from.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
louth_in_the_south
March 9, 2019, 10:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Good start but that masked a pretty poor first 65 mins . 2 poor goals conceded to Palmer thanks to weak defending. 2nd half when you’re expecting a team to come out and have a go didn’t materialise . This only happened when Clifton came on . He was everywhere breaking up play and driving into there half when we were in possession. Tbh we didn’t create any clear chances the last 20 but played in their half at least .
Of the 3 new faces Ohman looks a good player who is happy to slot into L2 no problem. Wins every header .
Ring looks like he needs a while to get used to English lower league scrapping but will do ok .
Dennis?? Is this the player who everyone was getting excited about signing? Maybe needs a pre season somewhere he’s happy at after the Notts shambles to get the best of him but whether he’s here next season remains to be seen . Wouldn’t be that bothered if he’s not after today actually. I’d rather have a couple of the Crawley lads who looked like they wanted it a lot more .

One defence of today’s performance regarding the amount of square and back passes when we were in possession that meant we lost momentum all the time - when we got possession I noticed Crawley got 5 men flat across the back every time with 3 central mids deep in front which meant we had no room to create chances .

Fattest ref I’ve seen for years who gave Crawley a lot of decisions but that’s a cheap shot . We need to be better than this if we’re going to go up next year . Tbh I’d have Palmer up front with ANother .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Bus

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.