2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
The Grim Reaper
March 5, 2019, 11:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
Granted the Conference was a horrendous time in the club's history, but i used to love some of the themed away days. Who remembers Wigs at Woking? What were the others? [tweet]1102900846491299840[/tweet]

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
GrimRob
March 6, 2019, 6:56am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Barnet away was one of the great memories as well. Incredible day.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 19
diehardmariner
March 6, 2019, 8:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,404
Gold Stars: 532
There was Be excrement At Braintree, Crap at Chasetown...

It's a shame that the real togetherness we had around that time was thrown away so quickly and easily.  I'm hopeful that Jolley can bring about more pride in the team and that connection will be re-established but it was something special in the Conference, probably because it was just so natural and whilst they weren't, the likes of Pearson and Disley felt like 'our own'. Even players we've since forgotten about like Jon-Paul Pittman just got it, they got what it meant to the fans and they loved being part of it.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
cmackenzie4
March 6, 2019, 8:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
The away day at Kidderminster was a great day out too.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
Mariner Timsky
March 6, 2019, 8:40am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from GrimRob
Barnet away was one of the great memories as well. Incredible day.

The first one for me was right up there with my fav ever Town away days! The inflatables was just fantastic and hilarious and brought all the fans together as one - such a great day and a great win as well

The second one was again all about the fans and well still sounds weird and mental but we took a Mariachi Band with us!!! This time the footy was a bit well pants but it was a day to celebrate as fans and enjoy being Grimsby Town fans and celebrate that - just brilliant , the highlight for me was when the band appeared in the stand with us and that first little blast of the instrument got us all up onto our feet and singing and smiling

We shoud make Notts away a party day - come on Town fans lets do what we do best

UTM

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Les Brechin
March 6, 2019, 8:57am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

We shoud make Notts away a party day - come on Town fans lets do what we do best

UTM

Could be Notts' last ever home game as a football league club!

That Barnet game, Wembley apart, was the best day out of our time down in that hellhole and the way we won the game was just the icing on the cake.

[youtube]Bri136qRGAo[/youtube]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
ska face
March 6, 2019, 9:12am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,557
Gold Stars: 839
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
Granted the Conference was a horrendous time in the club's history, but i used to love some of the themed away days. Who remembers Wigs at Woking? What were the others? [tweet]1102900846491299840[/tweet]

That was a great run of away followings from the Barnet match - Woking, Chester, Welling, Alfreton all well over 1000 town, Alfreton obviously pushing 2500 wasn’t it?

The “themes” seemed a bit forced at the time and ran out of steam after the Parslow incident, but it was a great few months and that ran through to the playoffs and the start of the following season at Kiddy and I think we had about 800 at Altrincham on the following Tuesday night.  
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
jock dock tower
March 6, 2019, 9:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Re Notts County. If they are still down at the bottom come last game of the season how about Grim Reaper fancy dress?r

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
LH
March 6, 2019, 9:40am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,461
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from diehardmariner
There was Be excrement At Braintree, Crap at Chasetown...

Chasetown is often mentioned as a Town non-league disaster but it was one of the first games we’d played in the FA Trophy. If we’d have known at the time how intrusive it would come to be I think a lot of Town fans would have been happy to lose early on!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
Hagrid
March 6, 2019, 9:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,386
Gold Stars: 527
jesters at chester wasn't it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
Mariner Timsky
March 6, 2019, 10:57am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
[quote=618]

Could be Notts' last ever home game as a football league club!

could be quite an occasion especially if they are needing a win to stay in the football league!!

As we are cheering and celebrating our league 2 status , , ,I would like to say our Play Off place but think we can forget that after Sat

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
jamesgtfc
March 6, 2019, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Personally I think going to Notts County and having a party to celebrate their demise is a bit disrespectful. I would be quite sad to lose Notts County because they have a lot of history and are relatively local. This season they only brought 400 fans but an on form Notts County would sell out the Osmond.  With Lincoln and Mansfield likely to be leaving the division at the other end this season, we are likely to lose a significant amount in gate receipts when you consider who will be joining the division next season.

If Bradford come down, that will probably be our biggest attendance next season; assuming Scunthorpe don't collapse over last 10 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
Biccys
March 6, 2019, 2:54pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Personally I think going to Notts County and having a party to celebrate their demise is a bit disrespectful. I would be quite sad to lose Notts County because they have a lot of history and are relatively local. This season they only brought 400 fans but an on form Notts County would sell out the Osmond.  With Lincoln and Mansfield likely to be leaving the division at the other end this season, we are likely to lose a significant amount in gate receipts when you consider who will be joining the division next season.

If Bradford come down, that will probably be our biggest attendance next season; assuming Scunthorpe don't collapse over last 10 games.

If Carlsberg did end of season run ins.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 19
Mrs Doyle
March 6, 2019, 5:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Anyone who went to Burton Albion will never forget that sick feeling of being officially relegated from the football league so no I definitely will not be celebrating their demise. Plus remember the ugly scenes at the end? I think the Notts fans will be just as ugly to be honest if they lose to us not a good idea to rub it in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
Les Brechin
March 6, 2019, 5:26pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Anyone who went to Burton Albion will never forget that sick feeling of being officially relegated from the football league so no I definitely will not be celebrating their demise. Plus remember the ugly scenes at the end? I think the Notts fans will be just as ugly to be honest if they lose to us not a good idea to rub it in.

Plenty of time for this game to be made a 5am kick off by Notts plod!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2019, 5:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
That was a cracking few months, sparked off by Beachballgate at FGR. Up to and including the Play Off Final against the Gas, then continuing to roll through Operation Promotion, and into the next season. The way the squad had developed was obviously a major part, an underlying cause as it were, but as with many revolutions it was triggered off by a relatively minor incident.

There'd been good away days in the seasons leading up to it, but it all came to a head then. The atomosphere was improving thanks to an enthusastic bunch of young fans. Barnet away in 2014 was when I really first noticed it.

Other notable dates (southern bias here) I'd say were Dover away, when a coachload of very 'refreshed' Belgians turned up, and Eastleigh in the playoffs.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
Ipswin
March 6, 2019, 5:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from KingstonMariner
That was a cracking few months, sparked off by Beachballgate at FGR. Up to and including the Play Off Final against the Gas, then continuing to roll through Operation Promotion, and into the next season. The way the squad had developed was obviously a major part, an underlying cause as it were, but as with many revolutions it was triggered off by a relatively minor incident.

There'd been good away days in the seasons leading up to it, but it all came to a head then. The atomosphere was improving thanks to an enthusastic bunch of young fans. Barnet away in 2014 was when I really first noticed it.

Other notable dates (southern bias here) I'd say were Dover away, when a coachload of very 'refreshed' Belgians turned up, and Eastleigh in the playoffs.

Lot more fun in the Conference wasn't it  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2019, 9:06pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Lot more fun in the Conference wasn't it  

If you ignore the quality on the pitch (and often of the pitch), then yeah.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
SpudUDontLike
March 6, 2019, 9:27pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I don't imagine this happened to many of us that day but the most memorable thing for me about the Dover match was me and a mate being bought a pint by a Dover fan called Nibs, who seemed a very nice bloke and had a not very convincing prosthetic nose. He was genuinely delighted to be hosting "such a big club". And I'd thought the excitement of the day had already peaked when we chanced upon John Fenty playing pool in a pub nearby. Those were the days. Never mind stuffing West Ham in the cup.

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2019, 9:55pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from SpudUDontLike

I don't imagine this happened to many of us that day but the most memorable thing for me about the Dover match was me and a mate being bought a pint by a Dover fan called Nibs, who seemed a very nice bloke and had a not very convincing prosthetic nose. He was genuinely delighted to be hosting "such a big club". And I'd thought the excitement of the day had already peaked when we chanced upon John Fenty playing pool in a pub nearby. Those were the days. Never mind stuffing West Ham in the cup.

That's exactly the sort of thing I miss! Blokes with prosthetic noses  

You've just reminded me of a strange sight me and my son saw after that second game at Dover. We started to wend our way through the Kent countryside - hadn't gone far from the ground and we went past a nice little mill race in the pretty village of River on a sunny Spring early evening. And there standing on the corner of this picturesque village was what I could only describe as a hooker in full stereotpical soliciting gear. Seemed so out of place. And no, we didn't stop.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wigs at Woking

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.