Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 245 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 12,075 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
March 3, 2019, 9:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
With the points haul we've already got and after the defeat yesterday Jolley is now in a Catch 22 situation. I guess it's how he reads what the fans would like to happen. There's been a lot of talk about the play offs after the run of four wins on the trot. The slight chance has now become an improbable chance. So, does he concentrace on using the players that will be here next season to see what they can do within a formation he'd like to develop and risk results dropping off or go out and put what he thinks his best side is and finish the season strongly? Possibly somewhere between the two I guess.

Dennis's first game for a while and first partnering Thomas, Clifton's first start for a while yesterday and we know from earlier in the season Harry gets better the more games he plays. Our best midfield that's played this season has been Hessenthaler, Embleton and Clifton so I would persist with it. Embleton won't be here next season but he fulfils a role that another player Jolley needs to find in the summer nothwithstanding Whitehouse's return from injury. Even though Hess, Embleton and Clifton have all played individually well regularly, as a unit they've still not dominated games on a regular basis. I still think we're missing some strength and athleticism in there, so replacing Embleton may not need a like for like. We've had some good results since the beginning of December, but if you looked at each game individually, I'd say our midfield unit only dominated one in four of those games and that's not sustainable enough to be a promotion chasing side, so we need something different to progress and Woolford isn't the answer. He's had one or two good games, especially against a not so bothered about the league Newport, yet fans want to airbrush non-performances like Swindon as if they've not happened. However poor Embleton was yesterday he will benefit from an improving match fitness wise Clifton over the next few games.

It was noticeable that Cambridge's forwards had so much time and space compared to what Dennis and Thomas had, it's time for our defence to start defending on the front foot and not dropping off so much. Are we going to let Whitmore have a go while Ohman is out or is a 38 year old going to block up one of the spaces in the back three until he retires? I don't think we gain anything at all keeping DC in the team when we've got an adequate, fitter, quicker, stronger option on the bench that can get us on the front foot more, close down gaps between defence and attack which will certainly help our nippy midfield trio be more cohesive and sharper than the opposition in tighter spaces. The second goal was a prime example of why DC shouldn't be in the team. If he was an opposing player, we wouldn't be saying that we'd like to sign him would we? And him being on the left of the three seems to reign in Ring getting forward as much as Hendrie does on the other side.

Still not sure about Ring as a wing back. Looks a good footballer but without the pace required to get up and down. Seems more suited to having a full back behind him or being a full back himself. Could we see how Grayson does on that side as he seems more athletic or is he just here for cover for this season only? I think Ring is a good signing but haven't made up my mind about him as an effective wing back yet. Maybe a better time to judge will be after a pre-season?

Mckeown, Russell, Hendrie, RHJ, Ohman, Whitmore, Pollock, Ring, Clifton, Hess, Whitehouse, A Rose and Vernam will have us with a better nucleus in the summer, but improvements will be needed across the midfield and up front for us to properly challenge next season.

Do we invest in the players above with game time until the end of the season or not? I only watch on i-Follow so that question is better answered by fans who will invest more of their time and money in watching Town until the end of the season, and more so, Jolley himself as he plans for next season or does he go for the highest points total possible? After three barren years, it's been a welcome relief to believe in reaching the play offs however tenuous that belief was, but yesterday signalled the end of that and underlined why we're not good enough to get there.. yet. With the right additions and proper investment in squad our dreams could be a lot more realistic and built upon firmer and more established foundations next season, not this..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 80
Mrs Doyle
March 3, 2019, 9:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
It's no coincidence that teams like Macclesfield, Cambridge have given us headaches.

These teams come here to defend initially but we have not got the system, pace or ability to get behind them and make chances.

M.J. admits our game is based on soaking up pressure and hitting teams on the break he did try and go for it at the end but that just exposed us to the classic counter and lets face it any pace by them would and did find D.C. wanting despite having a commanding game in the air.

Once their confidence grew we looked awful and I bet the stats prove once again we lost out on possession.

They should in all honesty had three goals if the one near the end had been converted with a two on one.

If the management team can sort out how to attack sides from the off we might get somewhere.

For all our efforts we hardly won a ball in the air up front (yet again) that is something that needs addressing for next season.

I can't fault the effort but that was disappointing and frustrating how we made so little chances against a side that has conceded so may goals this season.

We go again                                                                              UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 80
Croxton
March 3, 2019, 9:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,011
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Bigdog
With the points haul we've already got and after the defeat yesterday Jolley is now in a Catch 22 situation. I guess it's how he reads what the fans would like to happen. There's been a lot of talk about the play offs after the run of four wins on the trot. The slight chance has now become an improbable chance. So, does he concentrace on using the players that will be here next season to see what they can do within a formation he'd like to develop and risk results dropping off or go out and put what he thinks his best side is and finish the season strongly? Possibly somewhere between the two I guess.

Dennis's first game for a while and first partnering Thomas, Clifton's first start for a while yesterday and we know from earlier in the season Harry gets better the more games he plays. Our best midfield that's played this season has been Hessenthaler, Embleton and Clifton so I would persist with it. Embleton won't be here next season but he fulfils a role that another player Jolley needs to find in the summer nothwithstanding Whitehouse's return from injury. Even though Hess, Embleton and Clifton have all played individually well regularly, as a unit they've still not dominated games on a regular basis. I still think we're missing some strength and athleticism in there, so replacing Embleton may not need a like for like. We've had some good results since the beginning of December, but if you looked at each game individually, I'd say our midfield unit only dominated one in four of those games and that's not sustainable enough to be a promotion chasing side, so we need something different to progress and Woolford isn't the answer. He's had one or two good games, especially against a not so bothered about the league Newport, yet fans want to airbrush non-performances like Swindon as if they've not happened. However poor Embleton was yesterday he will benefit from a improving match fitness wise Clifton over the next few games.

It was noticeable that Cambridge's forwards had so much time and space compared to what Dennis and Thomas had, it's time for our defence to start defending on the front foot and not dropping off so much. Are we going to let Whitmore have a go while Ohman is out or is a 38 year old going to block up one of the spaces in the back three until he retires? I don't think we gain anything at all keeping DC in the team when we've got an adequate, fitter, quicker, stronger option on the bench that can get us on the front foot more, close down gaps between defence and attack which will certainly help our nippy midfield trio be more cohesive and sharper than the opposition in tighter spaces. The second goal was a prime example of why DC shouldn't be in the team. If he was an opposing player, we wouldn't be saying that we'd like to sign him would we? And him being on the left of the three seems to reign in Ring getting forward as much as Hendrie does on the other side.

Still not sure about Ring as a wing back. Looks a good footballer but without the pace required to get up and down. Seems more suited to having a full back behind him or being a full back himself. Could we see how Grayson does on that side as he seems more athletic or is he just here for cover for this season only? I think Ring is a good signing but haven't made up my mind about him as an effective wing back yet. Maybe a better time to judge will be after a pre-season?

Mckeown, Russell, Hendrie, RHJ, Ohman, Whitmore, Pollock, Ring, Clifton, Hess, A Rose and Vernam will have us with a better nucleus in the summer, but improvements will be needed across the midfield and up front for us to properly challenge next season.
Do we invest in the players above with game time until the end of the season or not? I only watch on i-Follow so that question is better answered by fans who invest more of their time and money in watching Town, and more so, Jolley himself as he plans for next season or does he go for the highest points total possible? After three barren years, it's been a welcome relief to believe in reaching the play offs however tenuous that belief was, but yesterday signalled the end of that and underlined why we're not good enough to get there.. yet. With the right additions and proper investment in squad our dreams could be a lot more realistic and built upon firmer and more established foundations next season, not this..

Excellent summary of MJ's dilemma. You can add Max Wright to that list unless his loan has been extended beyond March. One report said he was outstanding in a recent reserve game. This exile STH would like to see much earlier and braver use of the bench than yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 80
Bigdog
March 3, 2019, 10:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Throughout the season when the Blundell Park pitch is dry, the surface is so bouncy and bobbly the entertainment value for the fans is really poor. Doesn't help the players, our playing style and not conducive for a decent game of football. This needs looking at next season (pre-match watering) if at all possible to add value for the paying customer..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 80
MuddyWaters
March 3, 2019, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Bigdog
When the Blundell Park pitch is dry, the surface is so bouncy and bobbly the entertainment value for the fans is really poor. Doesn't help the players, our playing style and not conducive for a decent game of football. This needs looking at next season (pre-match watering) if at all possible to add value for the paying customer..

Cambridge played the ball on the deck well enough. We lacked intensity and tempo and, looking back, I still can’t quite work out why Hess was often at right back and Embo was so deep.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 80
NorthseaMariner
March 3, 2019, 11:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,515
Gold Stars: 11
Well I find it so hard to understand how they can play so well one week and then put in such an inept performance as yesterday.
We couldn’t control the ball, pass it, or keep it. Coming out of defence was just an amble out. The two strikers were left up on their own to try and do something. Why Embo was playing so deep, sometimes he was part of the back three, I’ll  never understand.
How well, we live to fight another day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 80
forza ivano
March 3, 2019, 12:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Cambridge played the ball on the deck well enough. We lacked intensity and tempo and, looking back, I still can’t quite work out why Hess was often at right back and Embo was so deep.

Jolley said in his interview that he put Embleton deeper so he could get more of the ball ( think others have said he hasn't been involved enough in recent games.) And Clifon further forward in order to use his pace and fitness to try and get into the box. So sounds like a good idea that didn't quite work.as Jolley said he will have a good look at the videos to work out what went wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 80
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2019, 12:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Croxton

Excellent summary of MJ's dilemma. You can add Max Wright to that list unless his loan has been extended beyond March. One report said he was outstanding in a recent reserve game. This exile STH would like to see much earlier and braver use of the bench than yesterday.

This goes against everything Town supporters hold dear but in all honesty we looked so unlikely to score that I’d have been happy with us sticking a CB up front and pumping some balls into them in the last 15 minutes.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 80
arryarryarry
March 3, 2019, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Bigdog
Throughout the season when the Blundell Park pitch is dry, the surface is so bouncy and bobbly the entertainment value for the fans is really poor. Doesn't help the players, our playing style and not conducive for a decent game of football. This needs looking at next season (pre-match watering) if at all possible to add value for the paying customer..

The pitch is watered pre-match most games.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 80
Bigdog
March 3, 2019, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

The pitch is watered pre-match most games.

Ahh my mistake, obviously don't see that on i-Follow.. Still doesn't look the greatest of surfaces to play on though if it isn't raining..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.