Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 262 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 12,077 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
March 2, 2019, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Ipswin
Did we really miss Ohman today?

I suspect he would have dealt with the first goal better.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 80
Madeleymariner
March 2, 2019, 6:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,048
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Ipswin
Did we really miss Ohman today?

Not too much. It hurts me to say but we missed Woolford
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 80
chaos33
March 2, 2019, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
We were below par in all aspects I thought. It happens, but a real missed opportunity to make some sort of a play off push. Really disappointing and well below the standard required.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 80
ginnywings
March 2, 2019, 6:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Just back from the pub. So bad were we that i needed a drink after that. Their keeper was so under-worked that he could put his kit back in the kit bag unwashed and not have to bother getting a post game shower. Thomas and Dennis got nothing to work with at all.

I just don't get our approach to games sometimes. They are on an appalling away run, must be very fragile, yet we don't start games at a high tempo and go for the jugular, same with Macclesfield. Even games we win at home, we seem to sit back, allow the opposition plenty of time and space in midfield and look to hit on the break. It's a game plan that seems to work for a good part of the home games, but often away teams seem to be more mobile, have better control and win most loose balls against us. Neither do we seem able put the kind of sustained pressure on teams, when you can just feel a goal coming. Cambridge have a terrible second half record of conceding goals, but today they looked like a promotion chasing side against us, and not for the first time, we are the team that allows those on a bad trot to get back to winning ways. The inconsistency is so frustrating.

Cambridge thoroughly deserved to win and 2-0 didn't flatter them, as Macca was far more busy than their keeper. Couldn't even begin to pick a MOTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 80
chaos33
March 2, 2019, 7:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from ginnywings
Just back from the pub. So bad were we that i needed a drink after that. Their keeper was so under-worked that he could put his kit back in the kit bag unwashed and not have to bother getting a post game shower. Thomas and Dennis got nothing to work with at all.

I just don't get our approach to games sometimes. They are on an appalling away run, must be very fragile, yet we don't start games at a high tempo and go for the jugular, same with Macclesfield. Even games we win at home, we seem to sit back, allow the opposition plenty of time and space in midfield and look to hit on the break. It's a game plan that seems to work for a good part of the home games, but often away teams seem to be more mobile, have better control and win most loose balls against us. Neither do we seem able put the kind of sustained pressure on teams, when you can just feel a goal coming. Cambridge have a terrible second half record of conceding goals, but today they looked like a promotion chasing side against us, and not for the first time, we are the team that allows those on a bad trot to get back to winning ways. The inconsistency is so frustrating.

Cambridge thoroughly deserved to win and 2-0 didn't flatter them, as Macca was far more busy than their keeper. Couldn't even begin to pick a MOTM.

Yes, sadly, couldn't agree more.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 80
forza ivano
March 2, 2019, 7:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
I  think that is why we are not quite as good as some think ginny. 3 of us exiles watched last week and until we went down to ten men none of us could understand why there was this wave of confidence. We'd beaten a Newport reserve team, plastic franchise scum in the middle of a terrible run plus wins against Cheltenham and Yeovil who are both shiite. It was epitomized by ohma n who everyone was eulogising but we thought looked like a liability on the floor from start to finish.
Team is much much improved from 12 months ago but without any pace of invention we are always going to be a bit short
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 80
jimgtfc
March 2, 2019, 7:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 44
Too many players had off days today, we’ve been on a great run and it was bound to happen at some point. We’re a decent mid table side and a million miles better than 12 months ago.

The wing back system wasn’t working today at all, we were crying out for wingers who could get us in behind down the flanks but were limited for options in that department and I think we could do with wide man to give us a plan B if the 3-5-2 isn’t working.

Our midfield has been excellent lately, but they had the run around today. I didn’t get playing Embleton deeper and Clifton further up and both players really struggled today. Elliott was almost trying to hard and was coming far too deep to collect the ball to try and get us playing, not necessary when you’re playing with 3 centre halves. Hess ended up in our right back position too many times as well for some reason, thinking he had to cover RHJ when he went forward, again not needed in this system. I actually think we missed Woolford’s calmness on the ball and eye for a pass. Thomas and Dennis hardly had a scrap to feed on but still looked like they didn’t know each other’s game, Cookie was a miss in that final third for me.

Bad day at the office, but at least it gives MJ an idea of what we need to improve going into next season.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 80
TheGoalKipper
March 2, 2019, 7:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
A few calls by the match commentator summed it up for me. "Clifton goes past two players ands then passes the ball BACKWARDS??"
"I cant actuallly work out what Town are tryinng to do?"

I repeat what i see as a major failing in our tactics, If we dont have the skills to play the ball through the defense get it wide and cross it into the box and give the strikers a chance, if you cant get into the danger zone your not going to score.

The team spirit is what has got this team where it is. We are well short of the quality to be sure of promotion next season. God knows if MJ can get in the players we need,

Very Frustrated

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 80
marinerdazza
March 2, 2019, 7:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Thought Cambridge were awful when they first started. Looked like a team with their away record. Expected them to dissolve once we got our first.

But it never came and we gave them confidence. Their first had been coming for a while as had their second.

At its worst, every one of our passes seemed to go to a Cambridge player.

Not going to single anyone out. Hate doing that although I have a couple of concerns..

Fully deserved by Cambridge. Utterly sickening performance by us though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 80
fishboyUTM
March 2, 2019, 8:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Not too much. It hurts me to say but we missed Woolford

If we are to progress, the likes of Woolford at 33 must be allowed to move on. The whole side were very poor today, every player would struggle for a 5/10 with McKeown a 6/10 for standard competence. It happens, as long as it is occasionally but we have shown real signs of progress but maybe today was a reality check. Still haven't given up on the play offs but we will need to improve ten fold. I've seen these lads give their all, and show quality and I still believe in them, just a bad day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.