6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
March 7, 2019, 4:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
I have just seen the Man Utd. penalty last night.

What a farce. A defender has a shot smacked at him from close range, jumps and turns his back trying to block it .The ball hits his elbow accidentally. Most United players are getting ready to take the corner yet VAR gives a penalty.

The ref looks at it in slow motion replays which if you watch it often enough from enough angles the ball does indeed strike his elbow. So what? In real time with a 50 miles an hour shot hurtling towards you it just happened to catch his arm on the way through.

The same outcome as if the defender had caught a long drooping shot with both hands, done a bit of basketball with it and popped it over the crossbar. Surely in the spirit of the game, there has to be intent?

VAR will ruin the game.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
Northbank Mariner
March 7, 2019, 5:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
I have just seen the Man Utd. penalty last night.

What a farce. A defender has a shot smacked at him from close range, jumps and turns his back trying to block it .The ball hits his elbow accidentally. Most United players are getting ready to take the corner yet VAR gives a penalty.

The ref looks at it in slow motion replays which if you watch it often enough from enough angles the ball does indeed strike his elbow. So what? In real time with a 50 miles an hour shot hurtling towards you it just happened to catch his arm on the way through.

The same outcome as if the defender had caught a long drooping shot with both hands, done a bit of basketball with it and popped it over the crossbar. Surely in the spirit of the game, there has to be intent?

VAR will ruin the game.

In the eyes of the law, if you use your arms to make yourself bigger and the ball strikes the arm it is an offence therefore a penalty/free kick is awarded...
And, if you listen to ex defenders they are questioning why he turned his back on the ball rather than taking one in the face or any other forward facing part of his body..
I'm not defending VAR at all, personally not a lover of it as I prefer the fast pace of our football in England and think human error adds more to all the talking points and allows us to give the ref pelters and gets the crowd up..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
March 7, 2019, 5:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

In the eyes of the law, if you use your arms to make yourself bigger and the ball strikes the arm it is an offence therefore a penalty/free kick is awarded...
And, if you listen to ex defenders they are questioning why he turned his back on the ball rather than taking one in the face or any other forward facing part of his body..
I'm not defending VAR at all, personally not a lover of it as I prefer the fast pace of our football in England and think human error adds more to all the talking points and allows us to give the ref pelters and gets the crowd up..

If you take that to its logical conclusion we will have defenders with their arms taped to their sides and running around like wombles

Any movement of running, jumping makes the body "bigger." Not all defenders are like Steve Bruce though are they, with several broken noses all on the same face? A slightly built defender is going to get bad concussion soon in his desperation to avoid turning his body away from a thunderbolt and an accidental handball. Of course, as soon as that happens the rules will be changed again.

It should be like the old days when it was intent that was the main factor.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
Northbank Mariner
March 7, 2019, 5:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170

If you take that to its logical conclusion we will have defenders with their arms taped to their sides and running around like wombles

Any movement of running, jumping makes the body "bigger." Not all defenders are like Steve Bruce though are they, with several broken noses all on the same face? A slightly built defender is going to get bad concussion soon in his desperation to avoid turning his body away from a thunderbolt and an accidental handball. Of course, as soon as that happens the rules will be changed again.

It should be like the old days when it was intent that was the main factor.

I can't argue that point, to me when the rule was "a deliberate movement of the arm towards the ball" it made more rational sense...
Think VAR will make a mockery of our game, funnily enough the Andrew Fox incident is still talked about, still questioning at what point does the ref on the pitch run the rule over the game or a panel sat in a warm room with several screens that show every iffy decision in super slow mode .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
jamesgtfc
March 7, 2019, 7:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Rio Ferdinand summed it up perfectly last night when he said that nobody jumps with their arms by their side or behind their back. Kimpembe gave the referee a decision to make by turning his body but had the decision been at the other end of the pitch and sent United home, the whole country would be in meltdown.

Poor decision if you ask me, his arm was barely out
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
ska face
March 8, 2019, 8:12am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,343
Gold Stars: 820
Makes you wonder how football ever survived 200 years without having every decision dissected and scrutinised to death, looking for a millimetre-offsides and extending silhouettes.

Think the worst thing is just how many saps have been taken in by it all. Still, if Jake Humphries it Dan Watson say something enough times...
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
Jarmo.Is.God
March 8, 2019, 8:15am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
VAR is good, and will benefit the sport once its fully working and understood.

If you're a millimetre offside, then you're offside, its simple.

The linesman/woman will not put the flag up if not fully convinced and then review it by VAR, that's why they have been putting it up so late during these games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
1mickylyons
March 8, 2019, 8:18am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
To me in a handball decision like this my question is would the shot have hit the target ? If it would and the ball was prevented from getting there by the defenders arm I want to see a penalty given . In the last 10 years the games has changed where any kind of contact seems frowned upon and the hysterical reaction you get nowadays to a 50/50 tackle sums it up. We will see more changes bit by bit and you sometimes have to question is this change neccessary and is it a good thing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
ska face
March 8, 2019, 8:53am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,343
Gold Stars: 820
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
VAR is good, and will benefit the sport once its fully working and understood.

Yeah, people keep rattling this line off but I’m yet to see any evidence of it happening and, if anything, it’s just getting worse. It’s becoming absolutely farcical at times and it all comes back to the fact that the logic behind it is fundamentally flawed - most decisions are subjective and just because some drip in a studio is watching it from another angle doesn’t mean his opinion is any more correct than the ref’s.

All this “it’ll cut out diving” shite they tried to peddle has been proven to be wrong because you’ve now got players chancing it knowing they’ll have the benefit of a pen maybe being picked up on a replay. If anything it’s making the problem worse as you’ve now got different degrees of diving and brushing someone’s foot becomes an offence because people will say “ooooooh well there’s connntaaaaaacctt” in that weasel-tone the pundits all have, rather than using commmon sense and asking if it was enough force to make a 13st, 6’4” bloke fall over.

Quoted Text
If you're a millimetre offside, then you're offside, its simple.

It’s not simple though, that’s the problem. Look at the goal Derby had ruled out in the FA Cup at Southampton. Player receives the ball with his back to goal on the edge of the box, flicks it through to a teammate who scores. The match is held up for about 5 minutes for VAR which finds the initial player’s arm was offside by about a gnat’s member, despite him receiving it back-to-goal with his left foot which was about 2ft behind his arm. That’s technically offside, but what advantage is he gaining there? It also ruined what would’ve been a decent cup tie from that point.

VAR is sold as being 100% right, all the time. It might be intrusive, and annoying, and elitist, and ruin the experience, but at least the decisions are right. But we’ve seen time & time again that the decisions are wrong and people still keep swallowing it. Why bother?
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
golfer
March 8, 2019, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,372
Gold Stars: 111
Why do we have to have changes all the time. Passing back direct from the kick off etc..really pixie me off. Don't repair it unless its broken.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another case for VAR

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.