3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
February 23, 2019, 5:24pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121
Absolutely non-event first half. Only talking points one brilliant, one good and one regulation save from Macca. Would like to see the tackle on Embleton again that looked like it was two footed with studs raised.
Second half continued in the same vein until the love child of Mark Lever and Britt Ekland "earned" his second booking.
They duly scored with Macca just unable to recover quickly enough after another great block.
Cue the inspired substitution of the day when Dennis entered the fray.
Town equalised within a couple of minutes although Hendrie's header owed much to the consistently shite performance of the lino.
So used do we appear to be at playing with ten men that we believe we can win from that position. They hit the post with Macca beaten but at the other end a rejuvenated Embo and a fresh Dennis could have won it for Town. MOM Macca.
Town fans in great voice again. The new song for Jolley based on the 80s Chaka Khan hit Ain't Nobody deserves another airing.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GYinScuntland
February 23, 2019, 5:45pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Insipid first half, inspired second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
buckstown
February 23, 2019, 7:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 77
Well that was weird, rubbish for an hour and inspired for 30 minutes with 10 men.
First time I've seen Ludwig and Ring (sounds like Las Vegas magicians) and very impressed with both. Both bookings looked fairly easy for the ref and tellingly Robinson won two key headers once Ludwig had gone, one for the goal and one from the inside of the post.
First half don't think Ive seen two teams give the ball away as often as they did today, they both looked neat and tidy then one poor pass after another
Thought we picked up when Clifton came on but the change after we conceded was remarkable. We went for it, scored quickly, although Hendrie looked well offside to me, and could have won it.
Dennis looks a real live wire, sitting on the last defender and had two good chances, I'd start him next week. I left wondering what might have happened if we'd gone for Swindon earlier as I thought they looked ok going forward but fragile defensively.
We're safe from the drop and need wins so don't think we have anything to lose going for wins, unless MJ is using it as next seasons preparation
Great support as ever
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
HertsGTFC
February 23, 2019, 7:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Well 3 points next week gives us 50 then we can relax a little bit and just go for it for the last 11 games.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
Bigdog
February 23, 2019, 7:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Even if we're trying to suck teams in to counter attack them, we're way too deep which isolates our front two who have to battle for semi-wayward balls forward. If we play through the lines we're fairly ponderous in doing so. Hess apart, I thought our midfield was very ineffective as a unit until we conceded.

Positives

Couple of good saves from Macca
Hess everywhere
Clifton and Dennis gave us a lift
Never say die attitude when down to ten
Wing backs were solid
Great turnout and noise by the fans

Negatives

Ponderous going forward
Defence looked slow
Defence way too deep
Ohman a walking red card with his clumsiness
Poor movement off the ball when in possession, we're a bit static and predictable
Aimless hoofs forward after Swindon let us pass it around our defence
Wing backs didn't get forward (until Hendrie's goal)

Next game..

Clifton for Woolford for energy in midfield
Dennis for Cook for goal threat and movement
RHJ for Ohman who's banned
Whitmore for Collins so we defend higher and more on the front foot

Seems a strange thing to say after winning 13 points out of 15 and only six points off the play offs, but I think the squad is underachieving when it comes to the standard of football played compared to the talents we have. I don't think the current starting eleven and playing style is sustainable for a real go at it next season let alone the play offs this. If Swindon could finish they could have had a hatful without putting us under a great deal of pressure..

Exciting last ten or fifteen minutes but I was seriously underwhelmed like the previous few games (FA Cup obsessed Newport apart) for the first 70....

We're a work in progress possibly half way to the finished article, and the results are important and welcome, but our style of football isn't entertaining me..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Fishy_fishtails
February 23, 2019, 8:08pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: -345
Quoted from Bigdog
Even if we're trying to suck teams in to counter attack them, we're way too deep which isolates our front two who have to battle for semi-wayward balls forward. If we play through the lines we're fairly ponderous in doing so. Hess apart, I thought our midfield was very ineffective as a unit until we conceded.

Positives

Hess everywhere
Wing backs were solid

Negatives

Ponderous going forward
Defence looked slow
Defence way too deep
Poor movement off the ball when in possession, we're a bit static and predictable

Next game..

Seems a strange thing to say after winning 13 points out of 15 and only six points off the play offs, but I think the squad is underachieving when it comes to the standard of football played. I don't think the current starting eleven and playing style is sustainable for a real go at it next season let alone the play offs this. If Swindon could finish they could have had a hatful without putting us under a great deal of pressure..

Exciting last ten or fifteen minutes but I was seriously underwhelmed like the previous few games for the first 70....

We're a work in progress possibly half way to the finished article, and the results are important and welcome, but our style of football isn't entertaining me..

Oh I see negative norman is back!

Some good football played in the 2nd half and thought we could have got one or maybe 2 more. We seem to get a kick up the a*se when we're down to 10 men.
47 points and we sit 11th. I'll take that for now. Definitely can see the team that we want to be coming through. Confident and Strong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
forza ivano
February 23, 2019, 8:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,141
Gold Stars: 265
Can't add too much more to what's already been said. Ludwig is awesome in the air but looks like an accident waiting to happen when the ball is on the ground.can't argue with the red card. Much more impressed with ring who looks v solid. We did well to escape with a draw as they couldve been 2 or 3 up in the first ten..v poor going forward we just went to pieces as soon as we crossed the halfway line..thoma s had a day to forget with nothing really sticking whilst cook ran about a lot but it was telling that Dennis achieved more in 15 mins than cook did in 65 mins. Midfield was ineffective apart from the excellent hessenthaler .once the sending off had happened we suddenly changed into a different team inspired by a previously anonymous embleton and the v.impressive dennis.looked a very offside equaliser.
Overall a point gained and we look a much better unit than 12 months ago here and even from 3-4 months ago.it's definitely a job maybe not even half done as we desperately need a bit of pace and invention..
Last thing is just to mention what a disgrace Robinson is to his profession.his diving and cheating were just embarrassing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
Bigdog
February 23, 2019, 8:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails

Oh I see negative norman is back!

Some good football played in the 2nd half and thought we could have got one or maybe 2 more. We seem to get a kick up the a*se when we're down to 10 men.
47 points and we sit 11th. I'll take that for now. Definitely can see the team that we want to be coming through. Confident and Strong.

I'm not being negative, I'm being positive about the talent we've got in the squad. As for the second half, we didn't get out of our half until they scored. I'm trying to put a level view on the performance and discussing ways how we could improve. Call it more frustrated Freddie..

But thanks again for your thoughful insight into today's game. The one thing we didn't look was confident or strong on the ball for most of the game, we couldn't wait to get rid of it when they put us under pressure and played the ball backwards far more than we ever did forwards..

Swindon were there for the taking and we afforded them far too much respect and let them get a foothold in the game far too easily..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
HertsGTFC
February 23, 2019, 8:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Bigdog

Positives

Hess everywhere
Wing backs were solid

Negatives

Ponderous going forward
Defence looked slow
Defence way too deep

Next game..

Seems a strange thing to say after winning 13 points out of 15 and only six points off the play offs, but I think the squad is underachieving when it comes to the standard of football played compared to the talents we have. I don't think the current starting eleven and playing style is sustainable for a real go at it next season let alone the play offs this. If Swindon could finish they could have had a hatful without putting us under a great deal of pressure..

Exciting last ten or fifteen minutes but I was seriously underwhelmed like the previous few games (FA Cup obsessed Newport apart) for the first 70....

Thought you’d been a bit quiet, what do you honestly expect? I’m not sure it chimes with the current reality.

The lads are “together” and working really hard, the manager had a great Jan window and is picking teams to win games, sometimes it may not work.

Unlike some managers though MJ is being true to his word and giving Youth a chance but to make this work you have to pick the likes of Collins and Woolly to get the kids through the games.

The supporters, players and wider club feel like they’re moving in the same direction with 2 really positive events organised by the Trust this week. The “non chairman’ even admitted MJ needed a bit more budget 😱

If your not entertained I’d not worry too much as the X Factor will be back soon.

At the moment I’d advise against over thinking it!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
Bigdog
February 23, 2019, 8:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Thought you’d been a bit quiet, what do you honestly expect? I’m not sure it chimes with the current reality.

The lads are “together” and working really hard, the manager had a great Jan window and is picking teams to win games, sometimes it may not work. Unlike some managers though MJ is being true to his word and giving

Youth a chance but to make this work you have to pick the likes of Collins and Woolly to get the kids through the games.

The supporters, players and wider club feel like they’re moving in the same direction with 2 really positive events organised by the Trust this week. The “non chairman’ even admitted MJ needed a bit more budget 😱

If your not entertained I’d not worry too much as the X Factor will be back soon.

At the moment I’d advise against over thinking it!

Dunno Herts, something a bit more like the front foot style we played against Lincoln,Tranmere and others. Maybe it's Clifton we're missing to do that. I know I sound stupid after the past five results, but something seems to be missing to me. It's like we instantly gift the opposition the impetus and momentum with how we set up without having the full ammunition of being a swift counter attacking team.

Just chatting about the individual games tactically rather than overall view, run of results and points haul etc..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Bus

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.